Attendance figures

I would imagine they reveal them to the people who need to know, so the SFPL and the legal people etc.

But revealing that they only get around 30k per home game publicly to the media? Never going to happen. This would dispel the while "greatest fans in the world" myth.

Why do Celtic get away with withholding their attendance figures? surely this should be in the public domain. They seem to major in withholding information.
Ask Poileas Alba Greater Glasgow division. Even if you FOI them, a good chance it’ll be thoroughly redacted.

Couldn’t see the upper stands from the brief “highlights“ I watched so hard to judge the actual number.

What‘s everyone’s guess?

Pretty sure there are two different attendances. One relates to seats sold and the other one given to police related to bums on seats!

Why do Celtic get away with withholding their attendance figures? surely this should be in the public domain. They seem to major in withholding information.
They get away with it because the press are compliant.
A compliant press is one that lies to the public and works against the interests of the citizens it is meant to represent.
Such a press is the real enemy of the people.

Such a press was the reason that Filth FC managed to harm so many children for such a long time.

They have 53000 season tickets, looked about 2/3 full maybe 37000?
I thought it looked about 3/4 full but they will count season ticket holders whether they turn up or not. Expect the released figure will probably be around 50k.

Do they really have 53,000 season tickets sold?
Are we to believe that 15,000 or so don't use their expensive season tickets during the mild September months of the year, to watch a side who have been putting six goals in against opponents in the SPFL at home?
I suggest that is stretching credibility.

I've noticed you don't get the attendance figures for many games now. Sportscene used to include it in their stats graphic at the end of a game. It's often not include this season.

There used to be a poster who got their actual attendances from FOI requests it showed them up a Dillon

I watched some of their game yesterday when I seen it was 1-1 and that they were struggling and I'd guess around 37/38k there yesterday, 40k as an absolute maximum. They've long since stopped declaring their attendance figures but their crowd appears to be 20k short of capacity.

Remember they had an offer where ST holders could bring two friends. Never realised their dump was bigger than the old Maracana...hahaaah

I would imagine they reveal them to the people who need to know, so the SFPL and the legal people etc.

But revealing that they only get around 30k per home game publicly to the media? Never going to happen. This would dispel the while "greatest fans in the world" myth.

It's no even a good myth.

Only people who would genuinely believe that are their own fans. In reality they are not even the best fans in Glasgow.

Pretty sure there are two different attendances. One relates to seats sold and the other one given to police related to bums on seats!
The actual and correct attendance (bums on seats) is given to police due to health and safety regulations regarding risk assessment for overcrowding and evacuation of stadium in any emergency procedure

Are we to believe that 15,000 or so don't use their expensive season tickets during the mild September months of the year, to watch a side who have been putting six goals in against opponents in the SPFL at home?
I’m pretty sure that stat came from Dominic MacKay

just in case anyone isn’t aware, Dominic McKay was the guy who took over from Liewell then quit the job after 2 months for “personal reasons”

(Personal reasons is PR/communications talk for if you knew the real reason it would make us look like the rank amateurs we are)

I used to love it when timmy used to rip the pish out of their own board for never having a wee squiggly number on their attendance figures.

It was always 29000, or 31000. Never 29635, or 31836.

Cash at the turnstiles of course.

Because they have lied about them so many times, people simply refuse to believe their attendance recording now. Better saying nowt that way people can't comment on what they are declaring. One thing though there was many gaps yesterday, looked on paper as a good game, dry nice day yet many were missing, sold out season tickets, my wee hairy arse they did.

They get away with it because the press are compliant.
A compliant press is one that lies to the public and works against the interests of the citizens it is meant to represent.
Such a press is the real enemy of the people.

Such a press was the reason that Filth FC managed to harm so many children for such a long time.
have the press always being lying/dirty/scummy bar stewards? did we ever have an honest press in Scotland? or anywhere for that matter.

I have never seen an exact figure published by them,you just see figures like that thrown around in the press.They were really struggling apparently around the 15000 mark just before thd public sale and then a few days later it shot up to 50 odd thousand supposedly . I would reckon high 30s to low 40s would be more accurate going by what you see on the telly.

have the press always being lying/dirty/scummy bar stewards? did we ever have an honest press in Scotland? or anywhere for that matter.
I don't know.
However, the Scottish football press has to ask itself questions regarding the behaviour of those who were in attendance to Celtc Football Club and its inner sanctums during a long drawn out period during which over a hundred children were sexually abused.

Of course, this will never happen, because the press protects itself from examination of its own corrupt practices.

As always the devil will be in the detail.
The silence regarding this period will not be the fault of those journalists who spent their time around Pittodrie, or Tynecastle or indeed Ibrox, instead, it will be the fault of those journalists who were inside the inner circle of people like Billy McNeill and other figures at Parkhead etc, who were in the know and who would often be in the company of favoured journos who were themselves Celtc supporters.

It is always dangerous to draw conclusions, but I think that is why the press should have been more honest when this sort of tragic stuff surfaced.
Now many are tainted by suspicion.
How can they not be?

Last edited:
I don't get why you hide it to be honest. Wouldn't it make more business sense put the truth out there and shame their fans in to buying tickets. From a business perspective what is to be gained from lying about the numbers?

I don't get why you hide it to be honest. Wouldn't it make more business sense put the truth out there and shame their fans in to buying tickets. From a business perspective what is to be gained from lying about the numbers?

Because they want to be seen to be getting bigger crowds than Rangers. It's as simple as that. Whilst Rangers have a genuine 45k season ticket holders and genuine 49/50k crowds every home game they will always pull a number out of thin air that is greater than that.

They were claiming 57k crowds when their upper tier was covered in tarpaulins not so long ago.

‘Stretching credibility” or blatant lies? :cool:

not only do 15,000 decide not to go, but it just happens to be whole rows/ half sections where these no shows all bought their tickets for.

Back