Auld Firm Wages

I am talking about individual first team wages.

So far as the 65% differential is concerned. they state they have 923 employees while we only have 223. That probably accounts for the difference. (2018/19 accounts)

Incidentally I wonder how many of those employees are ghosts

More likely victims.

Gerrard has already spoken about getting Kamara a new deal fast (he deserves it), and considering he was only signed for 50k from Dundee I find that wage believable.
If he keeps performing the way he has done he will be earning almost if not as much as that initial transfer fee every week, and that’s no disrespect to Rangers. Love him as a player.

You must be privvy to a lot of yon confidential stuff then.
Johnny Haynes was the first player on £100 a week in 1961.
Jim Baxter was on £22 a week then.
By 63-64 season he was on £35 week.
That's not confidential, that's from the man himself.
I believe when Baxter left Rangers he was on £90 a week, some 4 years AFTER Johnny's £100 a week.

Yet here you are telling us all, that back in 1961 "we had players earning up to twice as much.".
and when questioned on it,
You now say it was only One player, and it's a wee secret, but here is a wee hint, ha ha haaaa.

Go on then Mr Privvy, kindly put us all out of our misery, and do tell us all who are these Players that you speak of, that were earning £200 a week at Rangers back in 1961?
Note that I said up to.

The figures you and others quote have no context as whether basic, net, or what, but it should be quite obvious that no first team player would only be earning the average industrial wage.

Hagi was signed for 3.5 million and had been involved in other good sized transfers. Kamara was a 50k signing from Dundee. Just the way things work.
People keep quoting kamara as a 50k signing when in fact he was on A pre contract with us, we paid 50k to get him sooner instead of waiting till summer. So with that in mind his wages would reflect that. Not saying 6k isn't accurate but given it was done on a pre contract you'd think he'd be on slightly more.

Note that I said up to.

The figures you and others quote have no context as whether basic, net, or what, but it should be quite obvious that no first team player would only be earning the average industrial wage.
In 1962 the average weekly wage for workers was £15, Rangers players were on £35 before deductions. That was their basic and if you do some research you'll be able to realise that. There is no way Rangers players were earning the amount you quoted back in the early to late sixties. Jim Baxter wanted'£75 a week basic in 1962/63 season, he was on £35 basic at the time.

I heard a tim saying no wonder Christie wants away as he's on £8000 a week and Laxalt is on £22500 a week , I didn't believe him so I googled it and was blow away in the difference in wages of all players in both teams like Hagi on £20000 a week compared to Kamara on £6000
There was talk at Birmingham when Rednapp signed up those Brentford players and some others they were on 3x or more what some of the other lads who had been there during the times of extreme austrity were on.
It's not going to lead to a happy dressing is it? People may put up with it it one player is head and shoulders above the rest and delivering every week.Success will lead to the others getting a pay hike.If not it only leads to dissent amongst team mates

Note that I said up to.

Believe me, I did note exactly what you said
"we had players earning up to twice as much." is what you said
and I have asked you twice to tell us all who,
and twice you have attempted to weasel out of it with a nonsense reply,
almost as nonsense as your claim.
With all due respect Sir, I suggest you are talking an absolute load of shite.

I do like a good insult.

As you seem to have a problem with comprehension I won’t return the insult as you wouldn’t know that you hadbeen insulted.

As I said “up to” you took that as the whole squad. If you knew anything about Rangers from what has been said on this thread you’d be able to guess who.

I have no idea about current wages but from 1945 for about 20 years we always paid more than them.

As the press were lauding Johnny Haynes as being the first £100 a week footballer we had players earning up to twice as much.

I would be surprised if that had ever changed
Rangers have always paid the best wages in Scotland until new money from the Champions league mixed it up a bit and whoever got in the group stages had extra wedge for a bit .

In 1962 the average weekly wage for workers was £15, Rangers players were on £35 before deductions. That was their basic and if you do some research you'll be able to realise that. There is no way Rangers players were earning the amount you quoted back in the early to late sixties. Jim Baxter wanted'£75 a week basic in 1962/63 season, he was on £35 basic at the time.
The average non industrial wage in 1960 was £899. In industry it was north of £1k. Try the ONS for exact figures.

whether anyone believes me or not I couldn’t really care. Rangers were always the best payers in Scotland and for a long time within UK.

I

Rangers have always paid the best wages in Scotland until new money from the Champions league mixed it up a bit and whoever got in the group stages had extra wedge for a bit .
I’ve just typed the same thing. I wonder why people are getting so upset about something of 50+ years ago. My memory might play tricks but not that badly. I wonder what team they support

I do like a good insult.

As you seem to have a problem with comprehension I won’t return the insult as you wouldn’t know that you hadbeen insulted.

As I said “up to” you took that as the whole squad. If you knew anything about Rangers from what has been said on this thread you’d be able to guess who.

It is not a quiz sunshine, you made a statement,
which you have since failed to back up spectacularly.
I never took it as the whole squad, I simply asked you who,
and you have continued to spout a lot of shite.
You are an embarrassment.

And since you have such superior knowledge of Rangers, and I that know nothing,
I'll try again, and give you the opportunity to save face.

Which Rangers Player(s) as YOU CLAIM were earning up to £200 per week in 1961?

I have no idea about current wages but from 1945 for about 20 years we always paid more than them.

As the press were lauding Johnny Haynes as being the first £100 a week footballer we had players earning up to twice as much.

No mate, there was the maximum wage until the early sixties.
We paid the same as every other team.
Indeed there used to be a joke about our bonuses being less than some other teams but our players not minding because they nearly always won their bonus.
Mind I would take that with a pinch of salt.

Teams in England such as Arsenal often got around the maximum wage by getting their players into lucrative (non) jobs.
Although I don't know the details of how this operated.
However, players in Scotland found it more lucrative to play in England regardless of the maximum wage, so there was clearly a ways and means act.

Rangers were a fairly stingy payer which meant we failed to hold onto our greatest post-war player.

It is not a quiz sunshine, you made a statement,
which you have since failed to back up spectacularly.
I never took it as the whole squad, I simply asked you who,
and you have continued to spout a lot of shite.
You are an embarrassment.

And since you have such superior knowledge of Rangers, and I that know nothing,
I'll try again, and give you the opportunity to save face.

Which Rangers Player(s) as YOU CLAIM were earning up to £200 per week in 1961?
No Rangers player was on that sort of money and you, of course, know this Mo.

I’ve just typed the same thing. I wonder why people are getting so upset about something of 50+ years ago. My memory might play tricks but not that badly. I wonder what team they support

The average non industrial wage in 1960 was £899. In industry it was north of £1k. Try the ONS for exact figures.

whether anyone believes me or not I couldn’t really care. Rangers were always the best payers in Scotland and for a long time within UK.

I
No one has said that we weren't the best payers in Scotland at any time. However at no time, until Souness came in, were we the best payers in Britain, that's the reason Baxter left and the reason why Caldow was very tempted to sign for Man Utd. Btw, your being a bit idiotic asking what team myself and others support. Do a bit of research on the club during the 1960s and indeed the 1970s on players wages, also look at the main reason why Jock Wallace left the club weeks after winning his second treble.

Jim Baxter came out with a famous quote when he was pursuing a wage rise to be near the level of his English based international teammates, it was; "you can't eat medals". The BoDs of the time reluctance to give Baxter £75 per week basic cost the club the services of arguably our greatest ever player.

Sorry to get involved, as a youngster I’m enjoying this kind of chat. I had no idea Baxter left for financial reasons, thanks for filling that in.

Why would you think that?
It’s pretty self explanatory, one of your star players & captain is going to be on more money than a lad who is in & out the team.

He’s signed new deals since becoming captain, so I would imagine he would have became one of our highest earners.

Obviously I imagine the average wage of the squad has increased since, so you may be correct but I’d be surprised if Hagi was on more than Tav.

Sorry to get involved, as a youngster I’m enjoying this kind of chat. I had no idea Baxter left for financial reasons, thanks for filling that in.
If you can, get hold of the book Great Scot, biography of Scot Symon, it gives a lot of detail regarding Baxter and his argument for more money. It's actually a very good read about a very successful manager who,imo, seems to get airbrushed from our history

Given Laxalt signed for €18M with Milan he will be on substantially more than £22k a week. Just that the mhockkts wont be paying it all
Gazetta dello Sport reported it as €1.8m per year which puts it about €34,000 per week. If Celtic are covering 80% of that, £22k won't be far off.

Backing up my fellow older posters.
Around this time in 1961 there was almost a strike by footballers over pay (or lack of it). Jimmy Hill represented the players and got the minimum wage binned and Johnny Haynes was indeed the first £100 a week footballer.
A great book to read is Stuart Imlach's son. (My father and other working class sporting heroes) He was from somewhere Lossiemouth and signed for Notts Forest. £20 a week and £17 in the summer. He had served his time as a joiner and supplemented his wages working in a timber yard.
Recall the reasons Baxter left - Lawrence was basically a minge bag and this led to our demise from '66.

Jim Baxter left because Rangers wouldn't break their wage structure.
he was on £90 per week and he wanted £100
No way we were paying £200 a week back then
I was offshore in 1977 and was surprised to find out I was getting more money than the 1978 treble team

Jim Baxter left because Rangers wouldn't break their wage structure.
he was on £90 per week and he wanted £100
No way we were paying £200 a week back then
I was offshore in 1977 and was surprised to find out I was getting more money than the 1978 treble team
Typical offshore worker. I've yet to meet one who didn't tell you that they are considerably richer than you.

Typical offshore worker. I've yet to meet one who didn't tell you that they are considerably richer than you.
I was on £366 Dayshift and £444 Night shift 3 weeks on and 1 week off, where you got paid an average of your 3 weeks on.
I was saving up to get married and as soon as I got married I left.
I never bought into the 'I'm richer than you. nonsense
Born working-class, 8 of us living in a one-bedroom, one living room with an outside toilet, with one arse, same arse as I will have when I leave this life
If they are richer than you maybe they deserve it working away from home and doing 7@12/15 hour shifts, just a thought

I was on £366 Dayshift and £444 Night shift 3 weeks on and 1 week off, where you got paid an average of your 3 weeks on.
I was saving up to get married and as soon as I got married I left.
I never bought into the 'I'm richer than you. nonsense
Born working-class, 8 of us living in a one-bedroom, one living room with an outside toilet, with one arse, same arse as I will have when I leave this life
If they are richer than you maybe they deserve it working away from home and doing 7@12/15 hour shifts, just a thought
Thanks for confirming my hypothesis. Offshore workers will always give you their remuneration details in full with little to no prompting. :cool:

Thanks for confirming my hypothesis. Offshore workers will always give you their remuneration details in full with little to no prompting. :cool:
Well actually if you want it in full, I only cleared £200 per week because of the ridiculously high tax that the Government were charging
You have just confirmed something I always found that there were a lot of jealous people of the wages we were earning, Strangely enough, was always the first question I was asked ' How much you earning '

Well actually if you want it in full, I only cleared £200 per week because of the ridiculously high tax that the Government were charging
You have just confirmed something I always found that there were a lot of jealous people of the wages we were earning, Strangely enough, was always the first question I was asked ' How much you earning '
Deserved every penny. Anyone willing to work those hours away from home deserves the reward. Was in the Shetlands about 20 months from June 1974. Ended up on half decent money when I became 18 in '75. We done five and a half weeks on, 6 day long weekend at home. Loved it, met some great guys and it made you grow up.

Deserved every penny. Anyone willing to work those hours away from home deserves the reward. Was in the Shetlands about 20 months from June 1974. Ended up on half decent money when I became 18 in '75. We done five and a half weeks on, 6 day long weekend at home. Loved it, met some great guys and it made you grow up.
People only see the wages but not what you give up to be there

do you know, although i think his post wasn't referring to other posters, i was stuck on a train back from Perth not so long ago. got stuck with a drunk guy across from me. he pretty much was laughing at my salary as he was off shore (not that i told him, but obv he knew it was more). he was beyond drunk though. basically saying 'i get loads for doing what i do, bet that would be good eh?'. turns out he was a Rangers fan. who's sitting next to me 3 seats up from me at Ibrox the next day? him. I think it was the Braga game and he left when we were losing :))

Back