Australian A League official thread

Football (soccer) has been the most played sport for about 50 years now. Much has always been made of this fact, but it never converts into anything of substance. Much as the same phenomenon in the States.

Here in sydney, the kids play football in the morning, and then go home and watch rugby league on tv

I've been over to Sydney a few times in the last 10 or 11 years, seen a few games.

A few of my family over there had memberships with Western Sydney Wanderers so been to a few of their games at the old Pirtek stadium, the last time we were there the game we went to was at the the olympic stadium as the old ground was being redeveloped, also seen a Sydney FC game v Brisbane Roar at the ANZ stadium when Del Piero was playing for Sydney.

The support for WSW when they first started was mad, they were selling out nearly every game but it seems to have fallen away now, my relatives gave up their memberships a few years ago and now go to watch Macarthur Bulls as they play a lot nearer to their home, my teenage son can't understand how they could change teams so easily but its different over there, they don't have the same passion for it that we do.

I've been over to Sydney a few times in the last 10 or 11 years, seen a few games.

A few of my family over there had memberships with Western Sydney Wanderers so been to a few of their games at the old Pirtek stadium, the last time we were there the game we went to was at the the olympic stadium as the old ground was being redeveloped, also seen a Sydney FC game v Brisbane Roar at the ANZ stadium when Del Piero was playing for Sydney.

The support for WSW when they first started was mad, they were selling out nearly every game but it seems to have fallen away now, my relatives gave up their memberships a few years ago and now go to watch Macarthur Bulls as they play a lot nearer to their home, my teenage son can't understand how they could change teams so easily but its different over there, they don't have the same passion for it that we do.
Just changing teams seems so alien to us. I couldn’t imagine a team just popping up and people deciding to support it. Then it moves city or area so different people support it and the original fans support something else. It must be a very different type of support to what we know. More like just a day out at a game of football.

Quite like to watch this when the games are live in the mornings. Granted, it's not the best standard but I like the honesty of it compared to European football. Even the smaller crowds generate a good atmosphere.

They have a conventional 33 match league where the winners are called the Premier team. The top 6 then have a play off system where the winner of that is the Champion team for that season. The top 2 then receive a bye to the semi finals of the play off with the highest ranked team being the home teams. Matches are played to sudden death. Almost as bonkers as our set up but it seems well organised.

Sydney FC would be the Rangers of the league. The most successful club, winning the normal league season 4 times and crowned overall champion 5 times.
Victory are the biggest club in the league. Been poor last couple of seasons. When on there game average 25000. Sydney average about 13 to 16000.. at one stage Victory we’re getting gates over 30000 and in the finals 50 odd thousand.
They’ll be back .

A bit of context when it comes to a league. Myself and my 2 boys are season ticket holders for macarthur fc, who have just joined the league. Whilst football at grassroots is the most popular sport for kids, it doesn't translate into a league attendance or viewership for 3 main reasons:
1. Professional sport in Oz is dominated by league, AFL, cricket and rugby. They have always dominated crowds and viewing numbers and will continue to do so, partly because these sports are so ingrained into our Aussie culture, but also partly due to my 2nd point.

2. Marketing. A league does next to no marketing, it gets minimal coverage in mainstream media and is on the outer with their TV provider who do very little to promote the game. Hopefully the a league is working on this

3. Ticket prices. Many teams, including macarthur, price themselves out of the market and its often unaffordable for the average family.

IMO, a league is going through some fantastic change at the moment, most notably with the influx of Aussie youth coming into the teams due to covid impacts. The league is exciting, full of young talent and if they can get points 2 and 3 sorted, the fans will flock back imo

That's true. But you also have to understand that Rangers are much more than just a team. There's a lot of identity built into being a Bluenose. Being a Wanderers fan means pretty much nothing.

Also keep in mind that the A League is a plastic competition that is only barely 15 years old. There's little history or tradition to it.

EPL rules by far, as it does in most countries where football isn't their 'main' sport.
Actually, it's more about whether the country concerned has a well-developed League. If you go anywhere in Africa or Asia, where football dominates, they're all still watching the EPL.

But try watching the EPL in places like PNG or Samoa. Its not easy to get. They're all watching the NRL.

Sydney FC are Fen-ian scum. When we played them in 2010, their fans in the “Cove” all sang Rhebel tunes to try to wind us up. They can go and shove it.
Was actually a decent day out regardless of not winning the tourney was good to be in amongst like minded bears and get a few tunes sang aided by the beers. Wife wasn't impressed plotting up with me on the drive up the coast afterwards but memories made all that only a few years after leaving home for nsw ;-)

Sydney FC are Fen-ian scum. When we played them in 2010, their fans in the “Cove” all sang Rhebel tunes to try to wind us up. They can go and shove it.
Was actually a decent day out regardless of not winning the tourney was good to be in amongst like minded bears and get a few tunes sang aided by the beers. Wife wasn't impressed putting up with me on the drive up the coast afterwards but memories made and all that only a few years after leaving home for nsw ;-)

Was actually a decent day out regardless of not winning the tourney was good to be in amongst like minded bears and get a few tunes sang aided by the beers. Wife wasn't impressed putting up with me on the drive up the coast afterwards but memories made and all that only a few years after leaving home for nsw ;-)

The Wellington Pheonix are the Septic of the A league.
Who would ourselves be more aligned with?
Not sure mate but that tarr!er prick Jonathon Gould was one of their coaches a while back and after an important win for them the cameras were in the dressing room and that prick Gould had them all singing it’s a grand old team to play for.

Any allegiance I had for them was gone after that.

Staunch as f@ck I know.

That's true. But you also have to understand that Rangers are much more than just a team. There's a lot of identity built into being a Bluenose. Being a Wanderers fan means pretty much nothing.

Also keep in mind that the A League is a plastic competition that is only barely 15 years old. There's little history or tradition to it.
I understand it perfectly, its 40 years since I first set foot in Ibrox, as you say its completely different, for what it's worth I've been to a few toronto fc games in the MLS too, they've got a similar feel about them to the A league and the standard is pretty similar, had to laugh at one guy shouting that the "net minder" was an "asshole" though.

IMO, a league is going through some fantastic change at the moment, most notably with the influx of Aussie youth coming into the teams due to covid impacts. The league is exciting, full of young talent and if they can get points 2 and 3 sorted, the fans will flock back imo

as someone that has just started watching this year, I wholeheartedly agree that the league is very exciting and really look forward to watching the games.

would choose an A-league game over the EPL in a heartbeat

Whatever happened to Carlton SC? Sure a few Gers fans over in Oz followed them late 90s early 00s.

Whatever happened to Carlton SC? Sure a few Gers fans over in Oz followed them late 90s early 00s.
They were part of the craze for AFL teams to own soccer clubs in the old NSL. Collingwood had one too.

They realised quickly that they were expensive to run successfully, that their fans weren’t that interested in soccer, and those who were, already supported ethnic clubs, like Heidelberg or Melbourne Knights.

So they folded.

No. The Cove are full of Tims.
I think you're basing this on 2010 Kyle. I sit not too far from them and i don't see any Timmy behaviour either at the ground or in the bars. I am also aware of the incident on the train back from Gosford of which i was asked to keep quiet by prominent members of the STB's.

I think you're basing this on 2010 Kyle. I sit not too far from them and i don't see any Timmy behaviour either at the ground or in the bars. I am also aware of the incident on the train back from Gosford of which i was asked to keep quiet by prominent members of the STB's.
I dunno what incident that was. But every time I watch a Sydney FC game on TV, you can see the green and grey sitting somewhere in the Cove. It’s like Souffs fans. One always turns up to a game not involving them!

I dunno what incident that was. But every time I watch a Sydney FC game on TV, you can see the green and grey sitting somewhere in the Cove. It’s like Souffs fans. One always turns up to a game not involving them!
Funny you mention that, it was always a laugh with my group about how many of the bumble bee shirts you could spot circa 2012. Hand on heart i see none of them since we moved from Moore park. Most of them dress in black Cove t-shirts these days. Average age is about 19-20 as well.

Funny you mention that, it was always a laugh with my group about how many of the bumble bee shirts you could spot circa 2012. Hand on heart i see none of them since we moved from Moore park. Most of them dress in black Cove t-shirts these days. Average age is about 19-20 as well.
presumably the move away from the SFS meant that the Coogee crowd can't be bothered to go the extra miles to Kogarah/Leichhardt/etc.

Can anyone let me know why MacArthur are so called. I am interested since it is my surname but not sure how a team in Australia are called that.

Can anyone let me know why MacArthur are so called. I am interested since it is my surname but not sure how a team in Australia are called that.

Named after an old governor I believe.

The club's origins are in the merging of two separate bids during the league's expansion process in 2018, United for Macarthur and South West Sydney FC.[3] The two entities joined forces on 20 August 2018 to create Macarthur South West United Football Club, which later that year was chosen by the FFA to join the league in the 2020–21 A-League season.[4]

On 15 May 2019, the club's name, logo and colours were officially unveiled at a gala held by the club at the Campbelltown Catholic Club.[5] The club would be called Macarthur FC and would go under the nickname The Bulls. Also announced as their inaugural manager was Ante Milicic.[6]

The club's origins are in the merging of two separate bids during the league's expansion process in 2018, United for Macarthur and South West Sydney FC.[3] The two entities joined forces on 20 August 2018 to create Macarthur South West United Football Club, which later that year was chosen by the FFA to join the league in the 2020–21 A-League season.[4]

On 15 May 2019, the club's name, logo and colours were officially unveiled at a gala held by the club at the Campbelltown Catholic Club.[5] The club would be called Macarthur FC and would go under the nickname The Bulls. Also announced as their inaugural manager was Ante Milicic.[6]

Thanks for that. Was intrigued as to how they got their name. Must look and see if they sell strips.

John Macarthur was not a governor. Far from it actually. He was the first Briton granted free settler rights to move to Australia, and his land grant covered most of the South West of Sydney, hence why that area is now known as the Macarthur region. And that is where the name of the team comes from.

Macarthur was a real trouble maker for the early governors actually. He reputably caused the recall of Governor Macquarie, who is probably the most famous of the colonial governors.

If I was nearing the end my career I’d choose to go there over the USA any day, money might not be the same but purely for the chilled lifestyle that comes with it
Why not America, just look at Lewis Morgan who played for them he's now in Miami with Beckham laying on a Lilo in his pool listing to the Rangers Accordian Band playing the Sash on his head phones.

Saturday Games UK time bt sport

6am
Newcastle Jets v Melbourne Victory

8am
Sydney FC v Melbourne City

10am
Adelaide United v Western Syndey Wanderers (dorrans)

Aussie bears, wheres the money in these?

Last edited:
A bit of context when it comes to a league. Myself and my 2 boys are season ticket holders for macarthur fc, who have just joined the league. Whilst football at grassroots is the most popular sport for kids, it doesn't translate into a league attendance or viewership for 3 main reasons:
1. Professional sport in Oz is dominated by league, AFL, cricket and rugby. They have always dominated crowds and viewing numbers and will continue to do so, partly because these sports are so ingrained into our Aussie culture, but also partly due to my 2nd point.

2. Marketing. A league does next to no marketing, it gets minimal coverage in mainstream media and is on the outer with their TV provider who do very little to promote the game. Hopefully the a league is working on this

3. Ticket prices. Many teams, including macarthur, price themselves out of the market and its often unaffordable for the average family.

Read an article somewhere else about Police and the clubs cracking down on the more fanatical supporters over in Australia.

I wonder if that’s had an impact on supporter numbers decreasing.

Read an article somewhere else about Police and the clubs cracking down on the more fanatical supporters over in Australia.

I wonder if that’s had an impact on supporter numbers decreasing.
Certainly to the active fan base, the likes of Melbourne and Western Sydney active support have held several protests. Alot of the limited numbers is down largely to ingrained behaviour (everyone goes to watch rugby league/afl) and incredibly poor marketing. A shame really, my boys and I love going to macarthur bulls game, can't beat live football

Always love watching these games and seeing some the old players you know that pop up (literally hundreds).

Ex target Ryan McGowan, Ben Garrucio (hearts), Beregaun and Maclaren playing here.

Certainly to the active fan base, the likes of Melbourne and Western Sydney active support have held several protests. Alot of the limited numbers is down largely to ingrained behaviour (everyone goes to watch rugby league/afl) and incredibly poor marketing. A shame really, my boys and I love going to macarthur bulls game, can't beat live football
Yes the active support of MVFC & WSWFC was down to them all thinking that they were part of Football factory.

Need 2 more goals in this game for a bet builder to come in. Not looking likely though it's a tight game

Always love watching these games and seeing some the old players you know that pop up (literally hundreds).

Ex target Ryan McGowan, Ben Garrucio (hearts), Beregaun and Maclaren playing here.
Kisnorbo is manager.

Ffs that's a scandal that VAR is needed to give that. As clear as day.

Back