Australian Cup Final outrage

What's with the croat love-in?
Descendants of Croatian immigrants to Australia after WW2 formed their own ethnic football clubs (as did Serbs, Greeks and others).

Of course they also brought with them all the historic culture of the old countries. These clubs have retained that identity, all the good, but unfortunately, the bad too, resulting in the scenes witnessed at the final.

i doubt this display of stupidity will enhance the standing of the game in Australia.

What is this Welcome to the Country song? Is it like Abide with me at the FA cup?
No, its a traditional Aboriginal welcome. Basically one of the elders from the local land council will stand up and explain what country (ie what the local Aboriginal nation is) and welcome everyone onto their land.

What is this Welcome to the Country song? Is it like Abide with me at the FA cup?

"A Welcome to Country is a ceremony performed by a local Aboriginal person of significance (usually an Elder) to acknowledge and give consent to events taking place on their traditional lands. It is also a sign of respect and protocol which dates back to traditional times prior to colonisation"

A Welcome to Country is a ceremony performed by a local Aboriginal person of significance (usually an Elder) to acknowledge and give consent to events taking place on their traditional lands.

It's basically a tool that let's liberals feel good about themselves because, consent or not, the game would still be going ahead.

It's also starting to piss many people off as, like all times the majority start kow-towing to the minority, they start wanting more and more, all under the umbrella of reconciliation for the colonisation of Australia 250 years ago!

I had an interview the other day and they started with a Welcome to country - it was a Zoom interview and we were all in different parts of the country so it made no sense.

Tried to get tickets to Sydney United (Croatians) v Bonnyrigg White Eagles (Serbs) once and it was home fans only and you had to be a club member to buy due to previous incidents!

I think before the A League was formed with all the new franchises most of the clubs were tied to local immigrant communities and trouble at games was pretty common as the immigrant groups clashed with each other.

Think it was in the 80s or 90s all the clubs who’s names were tied to a community were asked to change name - Sydney Croatia became Sydney United, Melbourne Croatia became Melbourne Knights, South Melbourne Hellas became South Melbourne etc. they are still tied to the immigrant communities though.

The non A league clubs play in the FFA cup and Sydney United were the first non a league team to make it to the final but their fans have shown themselves up in a big way

No, its a traditional Aboriginal welcome. Basically one of the elders from the local land council will stand up and explain what country (ie what the local Aboriginal nation is) and welcome everyone onto their land.
That’s piss poor boing that in this day and age. And I’m no wokester

A Welcome to Country is a ceremony performed by a local Aboriginal person of significance (usually an Elder) to acknowledge and give consent to events taking place on their traditional lands.

It's basically a tool that let's liberals feel good about themselves because, consent or not, the game would still be going ahead.

It's also starting to piss many people off as, like all times the majority start kow-towing to the minority, they start wanting more and more, all under the umbrella of reconciliation for the colonisation of Australia 250 years ago!

I had an interview the other day and they started with a Welcome to country - it was a Zoom interview and we were all in different parts of the country so it made no sense.
I get what you’re saying mate. The same thing is going on here in Canada. A local uni here changed its name recently as it was named after a Scotsman who set up the residential school curriculum. We all know abuse happened at these places but that was nothing to do with the curriculum and down to the ones running it, mostly the RC ones incidentally. Everyone forgets that back in the day native chiefs were insisting their young getting a European education in order to be able to function in the new society, some even having it written into treaties.

However, its poor form to boo it at an occasion like a sports final even if singing it on a zoom call is taking it too far.

Openly fascist as well roman salutes the lot and no one in the media calling it out sounds familar.

A big banner proclaiming “Forever Croatia” but they live in Australia?

Sounds very familiar right enough.

Yeah there was serious trouble between all the immigrant groups in Australian football in the past. But they disbanded a lot of these clubs and founded all these plastic ones they have now. So there was Serbian, Croatian, Irish, Scottish, English, Greek, Italian, Hungarian, Macedonian all playing.

Shame all that history was destroyed but I think there was just too much violence

That’s why A- League was started to get away from the ethnic culture. The started Australian Cup which allows them back in. They want a second division to that will allow the ethnic teams back it will set the game back years.

Welcome to my country or not who in their right minds thinks it’s a good idea to stand on a football pitch pre match and have a wee chat with the fans?

Football clubs throughout the world are followed by a substantial number of fans who are cretins. If 10+ years of education has failed to make them into reasonable human beings does any one really think that a few minutes of talking pish prior to a football match will lead to an awakening?

I get what you’re saying mate. The same thing is going on here in Canada. A local uni here changed its name recently as it was named after a Scotsman who set up the residential school curriculum. We all know abuse happened at these places but that was nothing to do with the curriculum and down to the ones running it, mostly the RC ones incidentally. Everyone forgets that back in the day native chiefs were insisting their young getting a European education in order to be able to function in the new society, some even having it written into treaties.

However, its poor form to boo it at an occasion like a sports final even if singing it on a zoom call is taking it too far.
Its a speech mate. Basically the local Aboriginal elder stands up and says we Recognise the true owners if the land as ***Insert Tribe**** and we welcome everybody to our land etc.
I get the sentiment - Australian goverments are obsessed with saying Sorry for stealing your land and Reconciliation.
But, like all appeasements that start with good intentions (Sorry, cultural statements) when you start having them before absolutely everyrhing you do, it dilutes the message, and the majority, who were willing to hold up their hands for centuries old grievances, start seeing it in a new light - one that will never be enough.

Its a speech mate. Basically the local Aboriginal elder stands up and says we Recognise the true owners if the land as ***Insert Tribe**** and we welcome everybody to our land etc.
I get the sentiment - Australian goverments are obsessed with saying Sorry for stealing your land and Reconciliation.
But, like all appeasements that start with good intentions (Sorry, cultural statements) when you start having them before absolutely everyrhing you do, it dilutes the message, and the majority, who were willing to hold up their hands for centuries old grievances, start seeing it in a new light - one that will never be enough.
Whatever happened to the saying, “to the victors go the spoils”

I’m also a bit confused how you can steal land from people who don’t believe in owning the land in the first place. I get these fowk had a hard time, but life in the past wasn’t fair, it was dog eat dog most of the time. Obviously that’s out of line with todays values, but you can’t go back in time and undo history.

Back