Away at Tannadice in 1979

Tannadice was my first away game with my pals, would have been around 1974. Up on the football special, I remember the fare was £1.40.
Off at Dundee station and hundreds of Bears marched through the city centre up the hill, giving it TBB and led by a guy waving a rolled up gentleman’s umbrella.
Got to the ground, it was pissing down and older Bears will remember there was only one covered terracing there, the bit behind the goal called “the Shed” and usually where the Dundee United young team stood. Not when the Bears were in town though, they were up the other end getting drowned while we stood nice and dry in “their” bit. Whether they had been chased away or just decided to stay out the way, I’m not sure.

Got to the ground, it was pissing down and older Bears will remember there was only one covered terracing there, the bit behind the goal called “the Shed” and usually where the Dundee United young team stood. Not when the Bears were in town though, they were up the other end getting drowned while we stood nice and dry in “their” bit. Whether they had been chased away or just decided to stay out the way, I’m not sure.
Think there was an unwritten rule that they had to move or they knew what would happen B-)

I don’t know if anybody remembers but before the roof went onto the terracing that ran along the side of the pitch,they had advertisements above that terrace and some bears were sitting on it,this was 15-20 ft above the terracing

One of the best games and atmosphere at any domestic match I've ever been at. Utter bedlam behind the goals at 4min 30. :D United 1 Rangers 2

You had to experience games like this to see what they were like I tell my sons what it was like in the Rangers end at Hampden back in the day crowd swaying clouds of dust when we scored but you actually have to be there to appreciate what it was like,great memories

great days game was way better back then, away days made my week looking forward to them, especially when we won. I loved going to tynecastle great day out. Cooper on the 2nd goal on this clip really just highlights the pure class of the man what a player.

You had to experience games like this to see what they were like I tell my sons what it was like in the Rangers end at Hampden back in the day crowd swaying clouds of dust when we scored but you actually have to be there to appreciate what it was like,great memories
Fantastic times 14 year old going to games up and down the country with mates.

I don’t know if anybody remembers but before the roof went onto the terracing that ran along the side of the pitch,they had advertisements above that terrace and some bears were sitting on it,this was 15-20 ft above the terracing
It shows you in the clip fans sitting on the advertising at the back of the terracing.

If only we played as well as that right now!

Yet the same team had probably the biggest ever capitulation to celtic a few weeks later, when they meekly surrendered 4 goals in 45 minutes to 10 men.

Hard to believe, after we'd already beaten top Juventus and PSV sides that season.

Last edited:
saw some great league wins up there, but one of my favourites was a scottish cup replay up there, a midweek around 88-89, cracking game and super got the winner

Possibly the two most awesome goal celebrations ever filmed, at any ground in world football.

It's seems frightening looking back at it, but to be part of it was brilliant.
When they put the roof up on the steep terracing,when you approached tannadice from the city ctr,as you got closer you could hear the bears singing and this was well before kick off.

Possibly the two most awesome goal celebrations ever filmed, at any ground in world football.

It's seems frightening looking back at it, but to be part of it was brilliant.

Spot on, mate. Times have moved on, but the memories of days like that will never fade.

Back