Away goals in extra time.

Gazrfc

I've often thought that the away goals rule should be abolished once a game enters extra time. It clearly gives the team that are away from home in the 2nd leg an extra 30 minutes advantage to grab a goal which basically counts as 2!

Personally I think the away goals rule should be abolished all together - each team gets 90 minutes at their own ground which is fair in itself.

5SW.gif

Completely agree about the extra time point you make. If it's 0-0 at Ibrox next week, the Legia get an EXTRA 30mins to get an away goal. Don't think it's fair. We didn't get an extra 30 mins in their ground

Yep I've always thought it was unfair that away goals still counted in extra time.

I don't think away goals are as valuable as they were 30 years ago when you travelled into the unknown.

Although they do give games a different kind of excitement

Conversley we get an extra 30 minutes at home.

I guess that would be the logic behind it.
Say the two games finish 3-3 giving a 6-6 aggregate score. The average is a goal each every 30 minutes so the home team wouldn't be gaining there.

*Yeah I know it's not an exact science.

Extra time would be a disaster next week given the fixture we have the following Sunday.

I am totally confident that this won't be the case. We need to try and go 2 in front though, Ibrox will be a cagey place if we are 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go, can you imagine?

Completely agree about the extra time point you make. If it's 0-0 at Ibrox next week, the Legia get an EXTRA 30mins to get an away goal. Don't think it's fair. We didn't get an extra 30 mins in their ground
Yeah but we would have the advantage of playing Extra time at home with our own crowd.

I've often thought that the away goals rule should be abolished once a game enters extra time. It clearly gives the team that are away from home in the 2nd leg an extra 30 minutes advantage to grab a goal which basically counts as 2!

Personally I think the away goals rule should be abolished all together - each team gets 90 minutes at their own ground which is fair in itself.

I think on this whole abolishing away goals favours big teams, so I'm in favour of keeping it.

Am i not right in thinking they have abolished the away goals rule and it will start in a few seasons time? Could be making that up but I know it was definitely reviewed.

Like others have said, the away team might have an extra 30 mins to get an away goal but the home team get an extra 30 mins at home therefore it seems logical enough. I like it and hope the away goals rule stays.

Am i not right in thinking they have abolished the away goals rule and it will start in a few seasons time? Could be making that up but I know it was definitely reviewed.

Like others have said, the away team might have an extra 30 mins to get an away goal but the home team get an extra 30 mins at home therefore it seems logical enough. I like it and hope the away goals rule stays.
Our stadium will be 1/3 empty by the time any game gets the chance to go to ET with the subway loyal lol

It's the one sensible change football has been crying out for. Instead Fifa have footered with everything else, like penalties, which have worked fine for years.

What’s your thoughts on scrapping the 2 leg system altogether? The football calendar is overloaded as it is. You play where you’re drawn, sometimes you’re lucky sometimes you’re not. There’s always the following year.

What’s your thoughts on scrapping the 2 leg system altogether? The football calendar is overloaded as it is. You play where you’re drawn, sometimes you’re lucky sometimes you’re not. There’s always the following year.

I'd like to see domestic top leagues capped to 30 games per season and a Europe wide football league system running parallel, with clubs able to apply to participate and not having to qualify through domestic leagues. The CL should become leagues, the UEFA Cup/EL should be a straight knockout cup competition with advancement to higher tiers of the CL as incentive for say the last 8.

It would make domestic leagues more open and less pressured. It would open European football up to lesser clubs who might not otherwise qualify (Hearts, Hibs etc) and they'd be able to climb the ladder with better prize money through European competition.

Also, do away with extra time and away goals. Both pish. Straight to penalties. They should also make penalties from further out and make the goals a foot wider each side and a foot higher.

I mean, scrapping the 2nd leg system would be a financial blow for all clubs involved so for that reason alone It would never even be considered. During our UEFA cup run in 2007/08 we were drawn at home first against Panathinaikos, Bremen, Sporting Lisbon and Fiorentina so that means all those teams would have lost out on gate receipts for those games whilst we gained from every match

Less money for UEFA = no chance.

It was stated a while back that the advantage swings back to the home team if it goes to penalties.

No.
Too many different conditions from one team to another, from one country to another.
The weather.
Consider our travelling time to UFA as well.
It’s a massive advantage being at home in most instances.

Totally agree with both parts OP. The most unfair rule is the extra time scenario. I have always disliked that rule.

Back