Match Thread ** Ayr Utd v Rangers - Sun 11th Feb - Sky Sports **

We scored 6, hit the bar twice, and the post once. That's at least 9 "on target".

Only probs with your on target is its only 6 goals. The other 3 count for fuuk aw.

If herrera had maybe kept moving towards the ball that John shot along the byeline which took the deflection onto the post he could jeest have got a goal today.

Sniff, sniff...:cool:

(Mind you, I once worked briefly with a Joseph McManus and wouldn't believe him at first when he said he was a Bear. He named the founding Gallant Pioneers -" nah, mate. Inconclusive. Even I know that Brother WalMart founded the bheasts."
Every few hours he'd throw me a Rangers factoid but I only finally believed him when he quoted our war -time 8-1 Old Firm slaughter.)
Strathleven Loyal mate...
All above names out of Vale of Leven academy

second half showed why we got him.in my opinion he was immense in the second half

First half, he was trying to control the ball and play football in a ploughed field bog. Second half the surface suited him much better and it allowed him to show us what we have to look forward to.

Given the conditions I thought it was an excellent performance and result. Also disagree with some on here - thought Murphy
Put in a good shift and had a desent game

Struggled first half but made up for it in the 2nd. Some great goals. Goss was very good and Docherty kept it simple. And Murphy came on to a game. Is this, then, our best 11?

Been at work all day never seen any of it,so just watching it back now.

Liked the starting 11 and our set up,it looked like it took us a while but once we gogit going we looked really good albeit against Ayr Utd.

Ah, now you're getting into an argument I've been having for a long time. To me, the target is the back of the net or over the goal line. So today, we had 6 on target.

Yeah it definitely doesn’t with the stats mate. “On target” is only counted for shots that would have gone in without intervention. So hitting the woodwork is off target.

BBc said we have beat ayr four times on the road to the Final and every time we have lifted the cup

That means today was the first ever Scottish Cup game between Rangers and Ayr that I didn't attend.
I was at the games in 1973, 1993, 2000 and 2003.

Struggled first half but made up for it in the 2nd. Some great goals. Goss was very good and Docherty kept it simple. And Murphy came on to a game. Is this, then, our best 11?

No, the best 11 simply has to include Daniel Candeias.

Goss was very impressive and for me we need to push the boat out to sign him permanently.

The quality he possesses with his left foot reminds me of GVB/Albertz. His range of passing is phenomenal his vision is on another level than his team mates and he can drive forward and strike a ball. His set piece delivery is another added bonus.

I don't want to get too carried away but I want this lad with us permanently :)

Been working all day, so great to see a great result. Just watched highlights, some good goals.
Goss strike that hit the bar was a cracker!
Get him signed up.
Cummings goal looked good too but can't see it properly due to BBC and the snow.
Anything up one the Russian rangers site yet?

Was it just me, or did it really seem that when Herrera came on, nobody would pass to him?

He kept moving, looking for the pass, putting his hand up to signal, but there was a distinct lack of balls to him.

Probably imagination, but I remember thinking it looked strange at the time.

Was it just me, or did it really seem that when Herrera came on, nobody would pass to him?

He kept moving, looking for the pass, putting his hand up to signal, but there was a distinct lack of balls to him.

Probably imagination, but I remember thinking it looked strange at the time.

If you mean when he was in the box there was probably 5 players in and around him, our player on the ball had someone 3 yards away from him blocking that pass anyway.

Messi would’ve struggled to pick him out in that situation mate

Goss was brilliant. Unlucky not to score and that pass to murphy for no6 was immense. He saw it so early

Cummings goal was outstanding. Exactly the type of goal we all know he’s capable of

Murphy was good and direct

I thought Docherty had a underrated game

That Morelos miss......

Taking everything into consideration, we were outstanding today. It was set up for a shock today, terrible weather, bad pitch and gifting an early goal. Over the last few seasons we would easily have bottled it but we kept going and played some good stuff.

No, the best 11 simply has to include Daniel Candeias.

I would tend to think the best 11 if we play 2 up front can only have 1 out of Murphy or Candeias. Though we could switch depending on form or opposition. I’d think that, if Murphy is playing then Docherty naturally goes right. If Candeias is playing then Goss naturally goes left. Today, given that Goss was our only fit holding mid then I guess the shape maybe worked better without Candeias. When McRorie and/or Jack are fit we have much more options.

To those that suggest we struggled the first half...... nonsense.

We dominated, but failed to convert our chances.

Both halves we dominated completely.

PS: did anyone else have DJ as MOTM?

To those that suggest we struggled the first half...... nonsense.

We dominated, but failed to convert our chances.

Both halves we dominated completely.

PS: did anyone else have DJ as MOTM?

I'm with you on DJ - direct and ran and ran all day. Caused havoc going straight through their midfield time after time.

I really like the lad, I hope he keeps a place in the side when everyone is fit. He still can improve defensively but going forward I think he has the potential to offer as much as Tav does on the other side.

No, because the keeper isn't the target.

I really don't understand why my mates all think I'm a curmudgeonly old bastard.
Of course they do. What's the point in the 'shots on target' stat in that case when you could just check the goals column? If the keeper makes a save, that counts as a shot on target.

Of course they do. What's the point in the 'shots on target' stat in that case when you could just check the goals column? If the keeper makes a save, that counts as a shot on target.

Agree wi that, the baw is on target to go in to the net but the goalie saves it and so prevents it from going in so it's a shot on target.

My point exactly.

What is the point of the "shots on target" statistic. The statistic that matters is the numbers of goals.

Not just the keeper. If a defender makes a block that's also a "shot on target".

Anyone else think that the more Docherty got into the game the better we looked?

Got high hopes for our midfield when everyone is available.

Absolutely buzzing
Tav gave a young lad on our bus his jersey yesterday
I Had it on the boozer ,big kid in me
His dad was shouting him for his captains armband
An he came over an gave him the top

Great result and was good seeing us create so many chances.
Hope to see us with 2 up top more often + putting teams under more pressure in the future.
Enjoyed my trip down to "Sunny Ayrshire";)
Visited the Hawkhill Bowling club pre-match and received a great welcome.
The service from all the staff + helpers was 1st class.
Home tie next + then on to Hampden hopefully.

Back