B Team vs Cove Rangers tonight

I'm going to be a wee bit controversial.

I expect a Rangers under 19 team to be better than a glorified junior team, and for me that's what Cove Rangers are.

We can attract and develop some of the best youngsters in the country, they shouldn't be 4-1 down after 45 minutes against a bunch of older and stronger has beens.
I take it you don’t watch much football outside Rangers then?

5-1.

Poor score but I wasn’t expecting a result, especially after the poor start - important that they reflect on it, assess what went wrong and learn from it.

Sometimes you just have to admit you were beaten by the better team, which it self is a learning curve for Rangers players.

I will not be down on the young ones was a wee step up for them, I saw David McCallum in dugout at weekend with Gio and he was doing a lot of conversation with him, I did ask at the time was he a 1st team staff member now, but never got a reply, was it a case maybe Gio giving him an insight how he wants to play and with tonight could it have been a tweak which in our case did not work out or was it a case players trying to implement it, because I thought we did get caught with balls over the top as well as being caught in possession in front of defence, the work rate from young Weston was really good back helping out

5-1.

Poor score but I wasn’t expecting a result, especially after the poor start - important that they reflect on it, assess what went wrong and learn from it.

Sometimes you just have to admit you were beaten by the better team, which it self is a learning curve for Rangers players.

Hopefully Man U will now drop their interest in stealing Leon King from us :)

Chelsea under 21s this season in Papa Johns trophy against senior teams, Cheltenham, Bristol Rovers and Exeter have won 1 and drawn 2 out of their 3 games.
In groups of 4 they are second, Villa top a group but rest of EPL under 21s 3rd or bottom.
No panic for me about losing tonight against an ambitious team in form with seasoned professionals.
Key to me is getting the kids experience them loaning out for senior game time next season for next stage of development.
Other than CHO all the Chelsea academy players in squad just now have spent a number of seasons on loan as part of development

5-1.

Was once told this is the reason (apart from they would scud them) that academys play 1-2 years older teams as they learn a lot qbout kids after they get a defeat like this

From this age group I wouldn’t be surprised if a few do in time to be honest

I think some will. What has to be taken into account is that there is a full team of young lads trying to play against a very experienced team a few levels above them. If however, a couple of these more promising lads were to be given a chance in the first team, I'm sure with the better players around them they could flourish. The next round of the Scottish cup is a chance for a younger player with potential to get a bit of game time.

I'm going to be a wee bit controversial.

I expect a Rangers under 19 team to be better than a glorified junior team, and for me that's what Cove Rangers are.

We can attract and develop some of the best youngsters in the country, they shouldn't be 4-1 down after 45 minutes against a bunch of older and stronger has beens.
Look at the EFL trophy which allows 16 EPL teams to enter their U21 sides. Only 3 (Villa, Chelsea and Arsenal) qualified out the sections (1 U21 team in each section) and into the last 32. This is against English League 1 and 2 sides such as Ipswich, Wycombe and Forest Green.

It shows that playing against seasoned pros rather than U21/development league players is a big step up to what they're used to.

I told you I was being controversial.

All the smartarses saying I just know nothing about football because I think it's a total embarrassment for this young Rangers team...

What the feck does "levels" mean when we're playing a team 100 levels below where we need a Rangers player to be?

We didn't just lose to a bunch of experienced has beens and lower league dross. We got hammered.

Anyone trying to excuse that result has no idea what should be expected from a Rangers team at any level.

"They're only 18" is meant to be the excuse? Any good 18 year old with ambitions to play in a Rangers first team should be pissing all over the garbage we faced tonight. Any 18 year old with half a chance of a Rangers career shouldn't be getting humiliated by them.

I hope the B team manager gives those players hell tonight. Giving them excuses just makes it less and less likely they have the attitude or the ability to make it at Ibrox. They beat a team from the same division in the last round, albeit lower in the table. If they had given them a game but just fell short, then I'd maybe say different. But they got gubbed, conceded 4 in 45 minutes and were miles away from them. We look for excuses far too easily.

All the smartarses saying I just know nothing about football because I think it's a total embarrassment for this young Rangers team...

What the feck does "levels" mean when we're playing a team 100 levels below where we need a Rangers player to be?

We didn't just lose to a bunch of experienced has beens and lower league dross. We got hammered.

Anyone trying to excuse that result has no idea what should be expected from a Rangers team at any level.

"They're only 18" is meant to be the excuse? Any good 18 year old with ambitions to play in a Rangers first team should be pissing all over the garbage we faced tonight. Any 18 year old with half a chance of a Rangers career shouldn't be getting humiliated by them.

I hope the B team manager gives those players hell tonight. Giving them excuses just makes it less and less likely they have the attitude or the ability to make it at Ibrox. They beat a team from the same division in the last round, albeit lower in the table. If they had given them a game but just fell short, then I'd maybe say different. But they got gubbed, conceded 4 in 45 minutes and were miles away from them. We look for excuses far too easily.
Dont waste your time mate, there is a group on here that jump on anybody questioning anything about the club. One poster in the main that think he knows more tban anybody about everything.

Tonight is a terrible result.

5-1.

It’s what playing in that league, and that cup, is about.

I’m not looking for an argument DH, but the simple fact is very few of if any of these players will be good enough for Rangers.

Some of the lads in our team might not even get to the level of Cove Rangers for example.

This is by far the toughest test they have has, as the 3-0 loss to Ayr and the 3-2 win against Alloa saw both those sides field reserve teams.

Not necessarily excusing the result, because the score line is poor but I think context is important here. It’s Rangers U-19s, very few of which go on to do anything at all in football.

At 18 you wouldn’t expect them all to be better than Cove Rangers players, if they were then they’d all be out playing at a higher level.

So those that got gubbed last Sunday by Hibs dont have ability to make it at Ibrox?

I believe Dave Vos was up for the game, hopefully he can work his magic from his time at Ajax with our youth setup.

The Alloa team they beat in the last round had made 11 changes from their previous game and we only played them cause Ayr fielded an ineligible player when they beat us.

Think you're trying too hard to back up your point when in reality the team were facing harder opposition than they currently face week in week out.

The Alloa team they beat in the last round had made 11 changes from their previous game and we only played them cause Ayr fielded an ineligible player when they beat us.

Think you're trying to hard to back up your point when in reality the team were facing harder opposition than they currently face week in week out.
But still shit.

Go check Chelsea U23 results v mens teams in the cups, and bear in mind they have arguably the most successful academy in the UK the last 10 years.

I’m not looking for an argument DH, but the simple fact is very few of if any of these players will be good enough for Rangers.

Some of the lads in our team might not even get to the level of Cove Rangers for example.

This is by far the toughest test they have has, as the 3-0 loss to Ayr and the 3-2 win against Alloa saw both those sides field reserve teams.

Not necessarily excusing the result, because the score line is poor but I think context is important here. It’s Rangers U-19s, very few of which go on to do anything at all in football.

At 18 you wouldn’t expect them all to be better than Cove Rangers players, if they were then they’d all be out playing at a higher level.
So if they're not going to be good enough, why not just say it rather than make excuses?

Go check Chelsea U23 results v mens teams in the cups, and bear in mind theh’fe arguably the most successful academy in the UK the last 10 years.
The teams they play against aren't close to a Cove Rangers.

I'm amazed folk want to justify a result like tonight.

So if they're not going to be good enough, why not just say it rather than make excuses?
Don’t think anyone is necessarily making excuses, everyone is pointing out they played a better team tonight - which is true.

Whilst they win most lowland league games, they’ve still lost a fair few - it’s not like the win every game at that level never mind clubs a few stages up the pyramid.

The point being poor results and performances happen. You are spitring the dummy because the B team got beaten 5-1 and in your opinion that shouldnt happen to any Rangers team despite their age. You need to get a can of juice dh.
And we should call it a terrible result and not make excuses for it.

People wildly underestimate the difference between youth and senior level. Players like Shay Logan, Fraser Fyvie and Iain Vigurs are decent level players who spent most of their career at a professional level. Some of our current youngsters won't have as good a career as them, never mind adding the years of training and experience they have over them.

It's a good game to learn from, and during this run they impressed against Alloa.

Its the B team ffs. Young boys against seasoned pros. This is probably the best run out they have had all season instead of PT players. But aye you continue your meltdown

Yes but its all relative.

Their academy produces players that are levels, and levels, and levels above Scottish football.

20/21 team with Livramento, Gilmour, Anjorin, Colwill etc were beaten by Bristol Rovers & Oxford.

19/20 with the above, plus McEarchan, Guehi & Lamptey beaten by Walsall & Bristol Rovers.

All players listed are PL level just a year or 2 later.

Make it make sense…

But still shit.
Yeah so shit they've already beaten a team 3rd in the championship at home this season and drew with another championship side at the weekend. Also top of their league by 2 points as well.

Find it hard to believe that you think a group of inexperienced kids the majority first time facing senior pros should be beating a side with plenty of league experience.

Yeah, we’re allowed two overage players in the challenge cup.

Kelly is one of them tonight, so nothing to do with bubbles.

Not sure my thoughts on that to be fair, can see the argument about having on the senior players but then again it may be beneficial for the young lads to play without that.

Losing is a big learning curve, especially for a side that win as much as we do - you actually learn more from a loss.
That is an Urban Myth. You learn more by knowing how to win. Winning breeds winning.

That is an Urban Myth. You learn more by knowing how to win. Winning breeds winning.
It really isn’t.

Winning every game is all well and good, it’s also unrealistic. It’s dealing with set backs that build you as individuals, and collectively as athletes/people.

I actually remember Craig Mulholland saying similar in an interview a while back.

Academy players being told they are brilliant their whole youth days whilst skudding everyone doesn’t remotely prepare them for elite sport.

We actually lost - 3-0 - to Ayr United in the round before last last mate. Result overturned due to them fielding an ineligible player.

It really isn’t.

Winning every game is all well and good, it’s also unrealistic. It’s dealing with set backs that build you as individuals, and collectively as athletes/people.

I actually remember Craig Mulholland saying similar in an interview a while back.

Academy players being told they are brilliant their whole youth days whilst skudding everyone doesn’t remotely prepare them for elite sport.
There is a happy medium in this and as I said losing every game does not do you any good either.

There is a happy medium in this and as I said losing every game does not do you any good either.
Yeah, but nobody mentioned losing every game.

My post said it’ll be a learning curve for a side that win as much as we do and they’ll learn more from this :)

Last edited:
Back