Back to the British backbone/Foreign flare pendulum

Alfredosforeheed

Has anyone else noticed that over time we swing from

"we need a foreign perspective with technical ability to take us to the next level"

to

"We need a British manager with steel and backbone to steady the ship"

We're not the only club who does it, but the pattern is repetitive and everyone falls into the same trap of having those ever changing demands.

This "Safe bet with a British manager to give us stability" nonsense is really irritating and it sounds borderline moronic. What makes anyone think that a British manager will be less likely to perform poorly and be on thin ice after 6 months than anyone else? It's just stupid.
The candidate should be hired because of his proven ability and experience at a decent level, regardless of where he is from.

You forget that foreign managers don't 'know the Scottish game'. This esoteric body of knowledge is a closely guarded secret that only Scots managers are privy to. If you ask anyone about it, they'll just fob you off with cryptic comments or look at you as if you're daft.

This secret knowledge is so powerful that it ensures foreign managers simply don't know how to beat Scottish teams. This is why Scottish teams win the Champions League every year.

It’s great in theory, it’s what we’d all like in an ideal world.

My concern is this: is there the quality at a utilisable age IN DEPTH in Scots players?

I have grave doubts. I don’t want to be paying SPFL clubs a premium for them either.

Back