Ballboys again

cloodie

Official Ticketer
I’d posted after the Motherwell game about one of them raging at their keepers time wasting when he threw the ball to him and later in the game throwing it to the side of one of their players to slow them down a bit. Thought that was maybe an act of revenge but after paying a bit of attention to them last night it looks like they’ve maybe been instructed to be a bit more savvy or ‘professional’ in how they return the ball depending on how the game is panning out. Personally I’m happy to see us using any edge we can in that regards.

I’d posted after the Motherwell game about one of them raging at their keepers time wasting when he threw the ball to him and later in the game throwing it to the side of one of their players to slow them down a bit. Thought that was maybe an act of revenge but after paying a bit of attention to them last night it looks like they’ve maybe been instructed to be a bit more savvy or ‘professional’ in how they return the ball depending on how the game is panning out. Personally I’m happy to see us using any edge we can in that regards.
Noticed Alfie ragging at one when a second ball was chucked on when we were in an attacking situation

It's always seemed to me that the ball boys at the Knew Camp were more savvy than ours, quick to return the ball when the gimps needed it but suddenly caught flat-footed with hands in pocket when we needed a quick return.
Most probably part of the general brainwashing in hatred from their poxy regime.

We’ve been quite slick with the multi-ball setup until last night when it did seem to glitch a bit.

Noticed one ball boy quickly throwing the ball to a Porto player in front of the Govan stand when they were looking to break quickly in the second half. Obviously hadn’t been briefed properly.

Since Gerrard's arrival we have started using Academy players as the ball boys. You'd hope they know what they are doing. Can't say I have seen anything to be critical of from them. As you say, you'd hope they were 'savvy' enough to get the ball back into play quickly when we need it and vice versa.

When they were chasing the game the ballboy at the Copland waited on their goalie to come over to just throw the ball over the boards.

After Alfies goal, it looked like Flannagan was sent from the dugout down towards the ball boys in front of us in the EE and instructed one of them to go behind the goal and motioned to them to slow down when returning the ball!

When they were chasing the game the ballboy at the Copland waited on their goalie to come over to just throw the ball over the boards.
Broomloan ballboy also just chucked the ball on the park rather than to McGregor when they were chasing the game. McGregor seemed happy enough to slowly jog over to where it landed and then slowly jog over to the other side of the goal to take the goal kick. It’s deliberate and has my full backing.

Broomloan ballboy also just chucked the ball on the park rather than to McGregor when they were chasing the game. McGregor seemed happy enough to slowly jog over to where it landed and then slowly jog over to the other side of the goal to take the goal kick. It’s deliberate and has my full backing.

Aye a seen it threw it towards the corner flag. We aren't in this game to make friends.

5 or 6 times last night there was an extra ball on the park holding up play

When Roma went 3-0 up against Dundee Utd in the 85 EC semi in the Olimpico the number of ball boys reduced from 46 to 4 within moments...

I think the fans have a bit to play in the multi ball as well. Get that ball on the park as the ref has to stop it immediately

After the 2nd goal someone went round and spoke to every ballboy. Then they slowed down the return of the ball. About time we started using this type of thing to our advantage.

better using woman they would take ages giving the ball back time they run after it pick it up then walk back to hand it over that would be a good 8 minutes or so wasted

No clue last night - they threw on about 7/8 times when the ball was not even out of play !!!

It wasn't about 7/8 times - and I think in most of the cases it did happen the ball was thrown back onto the pitch from the crowd after the ballboy, rightly, had given the player a new ball in order to keep the game going.

If you want to know how ‘switched on’ ball boys can make a difference - Trent Alexander Arnold corner and the Liverpool winning goal against Barca. That can’t happen unless that wee lad throws him the ball as quick as he did.
Fine margins, everyone else has their ball boys more in tune with on-field situations it seems so all good.

It wasn't about 7/8 times - and I think in most of the cases it did happen the ball was thrown back onto the pitch from the crowd after the ballboy, rightly, had given the player a new ball in order to keep the game going.
I was there and think 7/8 was generous I think there was more.

I remember years ago when I used to be a steward, I had to do a shift at parkhead in a European game(it would be the last I did it there) celtic were winning goal with 10 mins to go, Celtic sent an employee round the pitch to tell the ball boys to take as long as they could returning the ball, I was track side at this point, waited a few mins then told them the manager wanted them to return the ball quickly as he wanted another goal, ball goes out, ball boy returns ball quickly and within minutes the original guy was running round the track to reiterate they have to take their time, childish I know but I thought it was funny at the time.

Off on a bit of a tangent, but home clubs should be allowed to use the multi-ball system in league / cup games if they want. This would also help the ball boys get used to it for European games. Home clubs get to decide on pitch dimensions, whether to cut or water the grass (if they have grass at all!), so it's not a one size fits all approach across a number of things, so why not the multi-ball system?

Said to the guy I was standing with last week, if you watch, a club official in jacket goes round pitch throughout game and instructs them what to do.

Back