Balogun 2nd clean sheet

Lets not suggest for one minute that Leon has got those clean sheets… QPR have, with Leon on the team sheet.

I do agree that he should have stayed though
Much prefer King getting games, we complain about not having a pathway for youths then we want to retain another CB not fit enough to play 2 games a week

Letting him go and going into this season with James Sands at centre back with a 19 year old backup from the academy (King looks a cracking prospect btw that's not the issue) to try our luck in the CL is quite simply negligence.

Souttar won't ever be a regular with us. Davies as well and we all know about Helander.

There are so many of these weird decisions I find so baffling. You could pick every single position on the park and we've messed it up somehow.

Letting him go and going into this season with James Sands at centre back with a 19 year old backup from the academy (King looks a cracking prospect btw that's not the issue) to try our luck in the CL is quite simply negligence.

Souttar won't ever be a regular with us. Davies as well and we all know about Helander.

There are so many of these weird decisions I find so baffling. You could pick every single position on the park and we've messed it up somehow.

How can you be so sure of this?

The Davies hate is really weird to me.

How can you be so sure of this?

The Davies hate is really weird to me.
I'm not sure of it nor do I hate him? He's a cracking player but has a bad injury history. That's why he's in Scotland. Same as Helander, same as Roofe etc. We'd never get players like that if they were fully fit. We've took multiple punts on these players and the chickens have come home to roost as none are available and we're now piecing together a team that gets skudded.

I'm not sure of it nor do I hate him? He's a cracking player but has a bad injury history. That's why he's in Scotland. Same as Helander, same as Roofe etc. We'd never get players like that if they were fully fit. We've took multiple punts on these players and the chickens have come home to roost as none are available and we're now piecing together a team that gets skudded.

Is this actually true?

No idea but would suggest they both played in most games they were available for. Roofe was fit but unavailable for the first few European games through suspension which lowers his appearances too.

I would not have been adverse to keep Balogun. With hindsight, given the issues we have with central defenders, it may be one that Rangers may wish they had dealt with differently.
Fwiw I was all for letting McGregor, Balogun, Davis and Arfield go.
But we needed to bring in the likes of Doekhi, Fransergio, Matheus etc. to replace them.
We rattled ( including add ons ) the guts of 14 million on three players who to a large degree are punts for the future.

I understand we can't sign players at tier one/two level due to money but bosmans and players into the last year of their deals are still very much attainable otherwise outwith those top tiers.

QPR fans very impressed. 2 clean sheets in 2 starts.

Wilson and gio deserve everything they get for signing 2 crocks on top of a finished helander.

An utterly astonishing decision to let him go.
Was he offered a deal and turned it down?

If not, it’s a ridiculous decision to let him leave.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isnt it?

Had Souttar, Helander and Davies not been injured Balogun wouldn't be getting a second thought.

We have a bloated squad and our wage bill is fairly high I’d say, signing a 6th centre back would have been madness.

Lets also not pretend Balogun never made mistakes or cost us.
Malmo last season for one

Who did we replace him with?
We signed Davies and Soutter. That, along with the development of King, is why I assume Balogun was deemed surplus to requirements. Unfortunately, the manager clearly doesn't fancy Davies and Soutter is maintaining his career long record of being largely unavailable through injury. King is an excellent prospect, but not yet the finished article.

Beale changed the formation to fit around him. Says a lot. Beale had £0 to spend and lost several players. Beale is charging a very average side up to possible promotion. Warburton couldn't get the same out of the same squad. Its time to approach Beale.

Good luck to him, tbh & this hurts saying this, he's probably better off away from our club right now.

I don't think there is a single answer to this season's Rangers conundrum. How you go fron UEL finalists to utter shite in such a short time is a fkn mystery. Not just big Leon's departure. However, the team saw Aribo and Bassey leave and be replaced with project players (that's £4M+ Yilmaz btw) and a loan. That must have been a kick in the teeth. We've got Kamara basically phoning it in for whatever reason. Lundstram has gone back to the start of last season for his form and there is now no doubt who the best keeper is...clue, he'll be picking up his pension sooner rather than later. Kent just doesn't seem interested either. Somehow, the guts have been removed from this team and we fans would rather we played a portly Columbian with an attitude problem and no intention of staying at us (unless he can't get a better offer elsewhere) rather than the guy who came in and is scoring the goals that are actually stopping us drowning in our own shit. Our many injured players are, I hope, choking to get back and deliver for the jersey, otherwise we are well and truly fkd.
Did I leave anything out?
We need root and branch reform from boardroom to boot room and someone to tell us the fkn truth about what's going on behind the scenes between Gio, Wilson and the board.
The lack of big Leon is not the answer to how shit we are, but it is a contributing factor and we need answers to a whole lot of questions.

The quota for injury prone crock defenders will filled up with Helander and Souttar, he had to leave.

If it was Balogun with a year left and Helander out of contract, big Fil would’ve been a goner.

I can understand why we let him go, but my personal preference would have been to give him another year. He rarely let us down on the field, albeit his injury record was bad.

QPR fans very impressed. 2 clean sheets in 2 starts.

Wilson and gio deserve everything they get for signing 2 crocks on top of a finished helander.

An utterly astonishing decision to let him go.
This nonsense keeps getting trotted out. We offered him 1 year, he wanted 2. Our loss in the end imo but we didnt let him go, we just didnt want to commit to 2 years.

With him we were safer at corners against us and more of a threat when he had a corner , baws toed to whoever let him go.

I wish him well. Never knew about the 2 year offer. If he’d wanted to stay, really, he’d have signed a year. Beale will bring him back with him though.

Much prefer King getting games, we complain about not having a pathway for youths then we want to retain another CB not fit enough to play 2 games a week
Yes I would like to see King play more games too but the problem is we have 3 central defenders who are either not fully fit or injured.
I thought Balogun was our best central defender last season

Yes I would like to see King play more games too but the problem is we have 3 central defenders who are either not fully fit or injured.
I thought Balogun was our best central defender last season
Apart from that away game in Europe when we had Goldson out and Balogun was abysmal and Bassey looked like he’d never played football before.At that point you knew he could never be our 1st pick there

I started a thread when he was sitting in the stands watching the USG game saying I wish we had kept him as short term cover instead of having to use Sands in that position. I got shot down in flames mainly by posters telling me he would take months to get up to match fitness. To be fair I kind of backed down in my argument when that was mentioned.

Interesting that he has started both games for QPR. Hopefully his reason for pulling out of the Nigeria squad is only minor and he’s prioritising club football.

There’s a reason Balogun and Katic were allowed to leave and he started at the weekend. I welcome that decision and hope McCann and Lowry see the need to elevate their standards above Davis and Arfield and take their place as first team starters

I don’t know what it is about Rangers and crocked players, but it’s happened often enough that it’s absolutely criminal we continue to take chances on injured players.

Balogun played just over 40% of all matches with us 52/121 not exactly reliable either , wee need to get all the crocks off our books

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isnt it?

Had Souttar, Helander and Davies not been injured Balogun wouldn't be getting a second thought.

We have a bloated squad and our wage bill is fairly high I’d say, signing a 6th centre back would have been madness.

Lets also not pretend Balogun never made mistakes or cost us.
Well, we did re-sign Goldson.

Castore should bring out a weighted blanket called the Balogun, it would fly off the shelves, he was decent when he was fit but ask him to play 2/3 games in a week it’s only a matter of time before he breaks down, he said literally himself he needs to manage game time to stop injury reoccurring problems.

That kind of sums it up for me. Good and consistent when he plays but he has only managed 4 appearances.

We have played 16 games already and just in start of October. We need someone young and fit enough to be available for 90% of them.

Ben Davies has had 3 starts and 2 subs so practically the same as Balogun, but he has been absolutely slated on here. If Balogun had been given an extra year contract and not been fit then we would all have went crazy at Wilson.

Just for clarity - I am saying it was right decision not to renew Balogun. The signings of Souttar and Davies are very much questionable though

Back