Balogun And Goldson First-choice CB Pairing?

Very good performance on his Debut looks to be a decent signing, Time will ultimately tell but signs are good .

Both were fantastic today.

Running into the space is what we’ve missed from centre half’s in recent years

Another bougherra and we’ve got a winner

very early days but seems decent and quick enough.

it’s the other end and creating chances where we will struggle

If that's balogun's standard , I can't see how he can get dropped . Played great . Great start

Really like the look of Balogun so far.

If he’s naturally left footed, we might have our first choice CB pairing on today.

I’m not massively convinced by Helander. I know people who really rate him, but I always preferred Katić.
One game in, you could easily agree here.
(Apart from Helander v Katic)
My only caveat is that they were missing their top strikers.
That said, Goldson and Balogun looked the part today.

Balogun played well considering how long he's been with us.
I like Helander a lot too but injuries are a concern, I'd suggest Goldson might be looking over his shoulder, i say that as a fan of Goldson too.

Looks a quality addition, we have lacked a centre back that can take the ball forward from the back. It can create space when teams put everyone behind the ball.

He also has a turn of pace that none of our other defenders have

Think he will be back up to Goldson and Helander when everyone is ready to go

I hope not. Helander is good for certain games but his lack of pace is an issue. As soon as he came on against Motherwell he got done and we were lucky not to concede.

He looks battle hardened and streetwise. I think he could be the leader at the back instead of Goldman, which will improve Goldson...

I hope not. Helander is good for certain games but his lack of pace is an issue. As soon as he came on against Motherwell he got done and we were lucky not to concede.
I get where you are coming from but he is just back from Injury and needs games under his belt to get back to his best few bounce games and he'll be ready imo

Yes for me, and takes away the worry of big Fil's lack of pace.

Still think Helander and Edmundson will have a big part to play.

If he’s naturally left footed, we might have our first choice CB pairing on today.

I’m not massively convinced by Helander. I know people who really rate him, but I always preferred Katić.
He isn’t left sided that much was clear but he is considered and patient on the ball . I’d like to see more of his passing and in pressure games but decent start .

Wasn’t sure how good he was aerially we will see through time but the improvement in pace was very useful midway through 2H when CG got a little marooned up the pitch and they were swiftly behind Leon seen it and sharply intervened . A good passage of play by him .

One key point , we never threatened Aberdeen at corners , high ball free kicks today did we ?

Last edited:
Looks good so far.Balogun was at the heart of the Wigan defence when they had a good run at the end of the Championship
What interests me is he partnered a very physical CD at Wigan , Cedric Kipre , and I’m guessing he played on lhs and dealt with anything that went behind / beyond him allowing Kipre to be attacking the ball .

Makes me think swap Katic for Kipre and you could have similar combination .

But patience , it’s only one relatively easy game so far let’s see how we are with more evidence come Christmas

Where's all the folk who were telling us Balogun was crap in the air? No Cosgrove for the Sheep today but, regardless, Leon looked competent enough in that department to me. And miles better than anyone else we have at Ibrox for bringing the ball out of defence. That could be a very handy attribute for us this season.

An excellent performance from Goldson today as well.

I don’t know how much better Goldson can get.He is outstanding already.
I like Goldson but I'd like him to be a bit more physical. He doesnt always compete well when clearing headers, a few times last season when Naismith had the better of him for example. He's a big guy so would like him to be a bit more dominant and not let guys back into him or let the ball bounce

Where's all the folk who were telling us Balogun was crap in the air? No Cosgrove for the Sheep today but, regardless, Leon looked competent enough in that department to me. And miles better than anyone else we have at Ibrox for bringing the ball out of defence. That could be a very handy attribute for us this season.

An excellent performance from Goldson today as well.
Haven’t seen that being said but it’s something that is an open question still imo .

Haven’t seen that being said but it’s something that is an open question still imo .

Popped up a few time pre-match on the match thread. In fairness, that is a veritable loony-bin of opinion most games. Didn't look to me like he had any issues in that area whatsoever.

I like Goldson but I'd like him to be a bit more physical. He doesnt always compete well when clearing headers, a few times last season when Naismith had the better of him for example. He's a big guy so would like him to be a bit more dominant and not let guys back into him or let the ball bounce
Naisy has excellent bounce,timing and determination for a smaller guy,just like wee Barry had.Always won his fair share of headers against bigger opponents.;)

I had concerns with the pace of their front 3 when the sides were named and George was omitted. Boy did he show some pace to snuff out that chance in the 2nd half. I'm all for a settled back 4 but there is now the choice of mix and matching with Conor, i.e Helander v.s Dykes/Livi

No chance.

Gerrard spent a fair whack on Helander and will throw him back in (righty or wrongly) as soon as he’s up to speed.

I still remember the last time I got excited about a player sprinting up the park

8119957.jpg
bJ1UKnG.gif

Latest posts

Back