Balogun - How Good?

gersandproud

I feel safe when he plays
I'm not going to say he's better or worse than others - mostly because there's probably not that much between them to be fair
But with Balogun he definitely does all the simple things well & he brings a solidness to our shape that helps all those around him
I trust him & that's why he makes me feel safe
Isn't it great we've sorted out the centre back positions with quality options
It's not that long ago we were really weak in this area

Madjid Moments

I think the fact that we can play Balogun in these games and and rest arguably our best defender and not look weakened and a massive bonus.

I can see him getting an extended contract and Edmundson leaving us once Katic is back.

TQ3

He has slotted in to the team like he has played there for years. A great addition to the team. Both him and Jon in goal look so settled despite just being in the door. Kudos to Ross, he seems to know his onions.

Balogun1

He has slotted in to the team like he has played there for years. A great addition to the team. Both him and Jon in goal look so settled despite just being in the door. Kudos to Ross, he seems to know his onions.
Long may it continue.

Reactions: TQ3

JMTrangers

I’d like to see that soon as feel part of the issues we’ve had previous seasons is that we flogged him and Tav. I think in the next few weeks we need to see them two plus Kent have a bit of a rest. Keep them fresh and firing the way they have been.

Goldson and Tavernier get a rest every international break. They're two of our most important players, so I'd rather see them rested in cup games, or brought off in games we're leading by 2+ with 20 mins or so to go.

Not when Goldson is one of Mr Gerrard’s trusted lieutenants, who gets a rest during international breaks.

There are also some players who just don't seem to benefit from a rest, they need the consistent stream of games to stay at their best. Tav is another obvious one and I suspect Kent is developing into another.

On-topic, Balogun has been a great signing. I love our ability to find these gems in the lower leagues.

KGR98

Goldson and Helander us still my preferred duo at the back but don't have any qualms about Balogun stepping in for either of them

Avengers

I think he’s terrific and reads the game very well, he also covered well for Bassey last week in Liege. He’s a classy player, I do think Helander is the best centre back we have, but it’s tremendous the strength we have at the back now.

Tailwind

Thought he played well, got caught out of position for his booking, but I thought recovered and won the ball fairly. I like him but Helander makes me feel more assured, his positioning and reading of the game is usually spot on
I didn’t think his “booking” was even a foul. The referee was a bit all over the place with a few of his calls, although none gamechanging

Tailwind

I feel safe when he plays
I'm not going to say he's better or worse than others - mostly because there's probably not that much between them to be fair
But with Balogun he definitely does all the simple things well & he brings a solidness to our shape that helps all those around him
I trust him & that's why he makes me feel safe
Isn't it great we've sorted out the centre back positions with quality options
It's not that long ago we were really weak in this area
Great post.

Your second line for me is key. Not sure why some are trying to assert their favourite is light years ahead of any other.

Goldson, Helander and Balogun are all excellent centrebacks at our level. One will be a little better in a specific attribute than the others. But there is little between the 3 based on what they have done this season.

Goldson is clearly the gaffer’s number 1, but any 2 from 3 is a solid partnership and would make me confident.

sherbrook_loyal

Administrator
Staff member
What a brilliant signing he's been.

We get him and the scum get Duffy LOL.

Comfortable with any of our three main CBs in any game now – and I also love Katić!

SasaPapacLoyal54

It just shows that there are bargains to be had if you look for them.

Look at what the tims paid and are paying for that Duffy diddy and compare it with what we did for Balogan.

Who is easily the better defender.

change consent