Balogun injury

Lucky he was hooked at halftime after being given a torrid time by Hendry or he could have made the injury worse.

To all those saying how badly Helander struggled with Dykes last season....

He struggled badly against him the first time we played them through there, which was also his first experience on their shambles of a pitch. We played them there again not long after and Helander was superb. Absolutely no concerns about him playing on Sunday. Showed how good a defender he is again last night when he came on.

That guy Shaughnessy's a very under rated player Dude. Had a cracker against us last season.

I'm not trying to big up Dykes, just look at what the risks are to us getting the 3 points.
Did we play Southend United last season ? I must have missed that game

The good thing is we have 3 genuine top CB now- Goldson, Helander and Balogun, with no drop in quality- and 2 very decent back up/ developing players in Katic and Edmundson.
This is the strongest we’ve been in that position since Davie Weir was pkaying with us.

are you sure? I watched all our pre-season games and he really didn’t defend particularly well.

I agree to an extent, what stuck out for me was playing a pass across the 18 yard line straight to the opposition. Its such a fundamental error. I am no wonder coach but one of the first things drummed into our kids was don’t play a pass across your own box.

Helander let the ball bounce instead of attacking it the last time and it bounces all over the place on that pitch. He'll be ok this time.

Balogun, Helander and Goldson have been excellent thus far.

They have contained any real threat thrown their way. Helander had a solid game in Leverkusen.

I somehow don't think he will be having sleepless nights at the prospect of facing Lyndon Dykes FFS.

The Dykes performance against Katić, Helander and Goldson grew arms and legs as soon as he was linked with us. People used it in their argument as to why he would have been a good signing. He bullied Jullien and Ajer too - so did Nicke Kamamba and the Killie fans think he is dreadful.

Dykes is nowhere near as bad as made out on here
I'm not saying Dykes is a bad player, and not dismissing how poor our defenders have been there in some previous matches.

I'm just saying that when you have an internationalist like Helander in the ranks, you shouldn't be worried about playing him against Dykes or any other SPFL striker for that matter.

Talk of not playing Helander and instead going with big George is a nonsense.

Of course you might make some subtle tactical adjustments depending on the opposition, but if Helander or any of our other players for that matter can't be trusted to play vs Livingston then (1) they're at the wrong club and (2) this season's title challenge is games a bogey.

I'm actually fine with whoever comes in,think all our defenders will handle Dykes no problem. but remember Herlander is coming back from a lengthy lay off and that livi pitch,if you can call it that,is horrendous.

I know that, but would you rather play someone who has played 90 minutes against Leverkusen and featured in our last 2 league games, or a lesser player whose last involvement was a friendly nearly 3 weeks ago?
Seasoned Serie A player and Swedish international to boot

If fit Balogun will start. If not it will be Helander. Edmundson is, currently, miles behind either of those two in terms of ability. I’d have no fears over either of the three of them against Dykes tbh. I thought Dykes looked sluggish against Motherwell last night in all honesty.

I’d give Edmundson a start.

Would rather he was given some first team action than risk having Katic, Balogun & Helander all crocked at the same time.

Edmundson may not be first pick but he’s rarely put a foot wrong when called upon.

I know that, but would you rather play someone who has played 90 minutes against Leverkusen and featured in our last 2 league games, or a lesser player whose last involvement was a friendly nearly 3 weeks ago?
I'd play Helander over Edmundson all day, I don't have any fears over George getting the nod though

Only the first game there last season. The second game, 2-0win - Dykes was crawling out of Helanders pocket come final whistle.

Big Fil seemingly doesn't make the sane mistake twice!

Assuming you're not making an oblique reference to him being a berserker, you've nailed it, Scarlett.
He has looked not too clever on occasion but he doesn't make a habit of it. In short, he's a pro.

I hope not he is useless

That’s a bit out of order he’s a young guy and our fastest CB or was before Balogun came in ,
Helander is a good defender but not quick at the best of times and we play deeper when he comes on .

Balogun exudes confidence.Something that none of our other center backs do.
Must be that German descent.Ithink him and McLaughlin could turn out to be our most shrewd signings of the summer.
As for Sunday.Helander doesn’t look up to full fitness for me.
Would much rather it was Big George.
He will do just fine.

There is not a chance Edmundson will come in on Sunday. Helander played 90 minutes against Leverkusen and got 45 the other night. He plays.

This guy has been a great signing but it’s one position where we really do have great strength in depth.
I wouldn’t be phased about either helander or edmundson starting. Bring katic back in the new year and it’s an area of the pitch where we truely have great cover

That’s a bit out of order he’s a young guy and our fastest CB or was before Balogun came in ,
Helander is a good defender but not quick at the best of times and we play deeper when he comes on .
Davie Weir had no pace Terry Butcher too the first yard in in your head and positional sense is far more important. Edmundson really isn’t very good at all he gets caught ball watching and his positional sense is terrible

Davie Weir had no pace Terry Butcher too the first yard in in your head and positional sense is far more important. Edmundson really isn’t very good at all he gets caught ball watching and his positional sense is terrible

He’s hardly the worse and to call a young guy rubbish Is a poor show.

I can’t remember many games he’s cost us and has been outstanding in several including Braga away .

He’s hardly the worse and to call a young guy rubbish Is a poor show.

I can’t remember many games he’s cost us and has been outstanding in several including Braga away .
Sorry it’s my opinion age has nothing to do with it and btw he isn’t a youngster he is Two week short of turning 23 hardly a youngster he is all the player he will ever be We are guilty of calling players youngsters far too much anyone over 21 is not a youngster anymore Edmundson will never be a regular starter with us he will end up in lower leagues down south within 3 yrs

Balogun exudes confidence.Something that none of our other center backs do.
Must be that German descent.Ithink him and McLaughlin could turn out to be our most shrewd signings of the summer.
As for Sunday.Helander doesn’t look up to full fitness for me.
Would much rather it was Big George.
He will do just fine.

Helander has played against Leverkusen, St Mirren and St Johnstone in the past week.

George hasn't played for almost 3 weeks and hasn't played a competitive minute this season yet.

Helander will be more match fit than Edmundson, I'd say.

Picking up such an injury at this age, be lucky to see much more of him, suspect it’ll be Helander and Goldson for the foreseeable

Edmundson has the strength to deal with dykes.

Helander dealt with Dykes just fine the 2nd time he played at Livingston.

It only took him 90 minutes to get used to that carpet of a pitch and he was ideal on it.

It's taken Barisic a year to find his form since he signed with us.

Let's not write off a Swedish international because he struggled a wee bit on a new park against an unfamiliar player.

Back