Balogun loves the club and would love to stay

I hope LB stays - he's more than decent IMO - & would be worth keeping for another season

He knows us - Gio & his current teammates know him - he wouldn't need any bedding in period - on or off the pitch
He's had injury issues - but they don't seem to be in the permanent problem category

He's never shown any signs of the jersey being too big for him & always puts in a shift -
I can't see any substantial / significant negatives personally

Personally I'd definitely sign him up for another year.

Goldson won't be back next season and looking at the pics from the final on Saturday Helanders foot is still in a protective boot with our first league game in 10 weeks.

There's no doubt that King is a talent but I don't think he'll be getting thrown into a full 60 game season.

Katic will be sold I expect, which leaves us Souttar and Bassey - both very capable but we need back up and Balogun provides experience, and he's done a great job for us.

I'm hoping we sign a really quality Goldson replacement, but I'd still like to see us have options.

Certainly a useful player to have on the books haven't seen any decline in performance and a great all round CH would happily get another year out of him

If we have Souttar, Balogun and Helander on rotation it can be one week on and two weeks off and that should help with all the time off they need for injuries.

Should not get another year.

We've gambled on Souttar, because he is of similar level to Balogun (or better), with similar fitness worries but he has a much higher ceiling and is 8 years younger.

We cannot have Balogun, Souttar & Helander.

Real backward step if we think Souttar is replacing Goldson.
That before we even consider his injury record.
Already said I will be pleasantly surprised if we replace Goldson with someone who is currently at the level he is.

Also, I never said Souttar would be replacing Goldson. I imagine we will bring someone else in, especially if Helander leaves.

Another year should be a no brainer.

We’ll bring in another player to replace Goldson and then we’ll have Souttar and Helander vying for the other CH spot.

Personally I feel Balogun deserves the opportunity to add himself into the mix there too with Leon King providing additional backup.
I can’t see us bringing in another CB to replace Goldson. That’s what Souttar is here for. If anything it will be a Simpson or Edmunson type back up “prospect”. If Bassey goes then that’s a different story. But Souttar, Bassey, Helander, Balogun, King, Sands and even Lundstram give us plenty options at the back.

I can’t see us bringing in another CB to replace Goldson. That’s what Souttar is here for. If anything it will be a Simpson or Edmunson type back up “prospect”. If Bassey goes then that’s a different story. But Souttar, Bassey, Helander, Balogun, King, Sands and even Lundstram give us plenty options at the back.
We were / are strongly linked with Doekhi.

We need him for another year imo.
Helander is in his last year and can go anytime, i wouldnt be extending that one no matter how many times he plays.

I can; perhaps Goldson's replacement will be someone Van Bronkhorst is already familiar of. Can't imagine him not being replaced.

Katic (away) Goldson (away) Helander (always injured) Souter (absolute cert to miss 30% of our games) King (no experience at european level) Bassey (left back)

SO would mean signing at least 3 new CBs then? I think he has earned a one year deal....Cost us less goals than Goldson and Bassey as CBs this year.

We don't need back up we need CBs that can play. Sands and Lunsdtram are not the answer - no where near it. Imagine Souter (if fit) with Sands or King at the back or Lundstram against a decent European team would be absolutely carnage. Balogun played many games and can be trusted. Still think we need 2/3 more CBs at the very least 2 top class

Should not get another year.

We've gambled on Souttar, because he is of similar level to Balogun (or better), with similar fitness worries but he has a much higher ceiling and is 8 years younger.

We cannot have Balogun, Souttar & Helander.
ehh Helander still has a moon boot on and no where near coming back into the team. When we start playing again in 6/7 weeks he will be no where near the squad. We are majorly short here and if this season is anything to go by where we need to score 2/3 to win - this along with 2/3 goal scoring midfields is where our priority lies.

Makes sense to keep him with not much out lay. My worries with it are I’d hope Souttar is first back up and it would limit Leon Kings involvement when he needs game time

I've already posted I hope big Balogun stays as he is a tremendous squad option and totally gets us .

Though whoever we sign for CB I want someone who apart from being a good defender ,is dangerous in the oppositions box at corners etc.
Loved big Goldson and he will be missed but the big man was no real threat in the oppositions box

Not for me. He’s done pretty well all in and he leaves with my thanks and best wishes, but we can do so much better than a 34 year old Leon Balogun

Souter is not coming here to warm the bench, regardless of whether anyone on here thinks he’s good enough or not.

Whether we go with a back 5 or just 4 next year, we still need two CHs that are happy to be at Rangers and not be starters. King will be one, if Balogan is similarly content, and low-cost, then I think that’s a better use of money than buying someone we don’t know will fit into the squad and might agitate through not being a first choice.

We know - he's coming here to warm the treatment table, like he's done for large periods of his Hearts career.

I've got concerns how our back 4 is going to look next season

Goldson gone - seems like a certainty

Helander - an injury risk - & another thread says we should get rid anyway

There's plenty advocating we ditch Borna

Balogun is out of contract & maybe it's 50 - 50 on offering him another season

Souttar could be a bigger injury risk than the rest put together ( & regrettably I'm unconvinced that he's up to the job even fully fit)

If we're to believe half the press reports - Bassey is going to be subject to mega bucks bids - which may test our resolve

Sands & Lundstram are probably better used further up the pitch - even though they've been half decent used in defence

King looks the part - but I'd hate to over expose him too early - damaging his confidence or burning him out

That leaves Tav - hopefully he's firmly staying put - but I wouldn't too surprised if someone wanted his services & he was tempted with one last big pay day for his retirement fund

I admit that all of the above is a very negative scenario which with any luck won't actually turn out as bad as described

Seriously though - IMO we really need to get this right
I see a quality replacement for Goldson as an absolute minimim necessity
& keeping Balogun meantime is not only my preference - but a bit of a no-brainer

We have to take account that Leon King is coming into the squad more, and that Goldson's replacement could come in. Balogun has been good, but it's possibly the bext time for him to leave.

I like the big guy - he’s good back up.

But Helander, Souttar and Balogun - it’s hardly robust.

They’ll each play 20+ games, which comes with its own problems.

Why? If Souter can stay healthy,we have an excellent CB.
Dont die on us now.:p

I don't think he's anything like good enough - well certainly not as good as many seem to think

I'll be very happy to be proved wrong & he'll get my full backing with a Gers shirt on his back

But I just don't see him as a Goldson replacement-
Goldson isn't perfect - but IMO Souttar's got a lot more flaws than Goldson has

I don't think he's anything like good enough - well certainly not as good as many seem to think

I'll be very happy to be proved wrong & he'll get my full backing with a Gers shirt on his back

But I just don't see him as a Goldson replacement-
Goldson isn't perfect - but IMO Souttar's got a lot more flaws than Goldson has
Lol!

Sands and Lundstrum are not natural CHs.
Helander, Souttar and Balogun are all injury prone.
Helander, Bassey are left footed, whilst Balogun although right footed prefers to play on left side of defence.
Like Balogun but at 34 he isnt going to improve.
Hope we are looking to bring in a quality replacement for Goldson to play right side of back 4.

Back