Balogun loves the club and would love to stay

Souter is not coming here to warm the bench, regardless of whether anyone on here thinks he’s good enough or not.

Whether we go with a back 5 or just 4 next year, we still need two CHs that are happy to be at Rangers and not be starters. King will be one, if Balogan is similarly content, and low-cost, then I think that’s a better use of money than buying someone we don’t know will fit into the squad and might agitate through not being a first choice.

I think we're going three at the back.

And if we already have two injury prone players in Helander and Souttar then there's no room for Balogun.

He's played his part though.
He’s a perfectly fine squad player that (I guess) won’t be on a huge wage.

Keep for me

I’m a bit undecided on Balogun if truth be told. He has done well over the two years but his injury record isn’t great. I’d be more inclined to give his minutes to King. Largely depends on departures though. If Goldson and Bassey both left then I’d be more inclined to keep him.

We do need to keep some players.

There's gonna be a lot of interest in the more valuable players in their last year on contracts, that could be up to 5 or 6 players including Goldson.

There's no way we can then let the likes of Balogan, Davis, Helander, Roofe all move on in some way or another.

That would decimate the squad and you just know when all the new players come in and don't gel immediately that would then be Gio, the board and everyone else's fault.

As an aside but in a way relevant topic - neither Balogun or Souttar can play 2 games a week. Does this mean both stay for rotation options or Balogun goes for a viable first choice challenger?

Lets face it, his injury record is spotty to say the least but if Bassey stays, I see no issues with keeping Balogun. Even if it's purely as a squad option.

We don't know what's happening with Helander yet, we know Goldson is away and that Souttar is going to take time to bed in, hopefully not a lot of time but still. We need someone with a bit of experience in there.

Thank him for his efforts and let him go imo. Was a good rotation option last year but this season seems to have been 1 or 2 good games followed by a couple of shaky games then an injury. Repeat. Would rather we just used King.

I love the guy and think he's a very good but injuries and his brain farts concern me about another year deal.

We should be doing what we can to mitigate the level of turnover needed this summer.

Davis, Balogun, McGregor are more than good enough as squad players next season, as long as they're happy to take a big reduction in wages and accept they might only play 10 games or so.

We also urgently need to sit down with Goldson, Kent, Morelos and Aribo and either renew their contracts (even with a release fee added) or allow them to leave.

If we can get most of the above tied up, and move on players like Simpson and Itten, we only need to focus on getting in 5 or 6 top quality players to really move to the next level.

We have a team that just got to a Europa League final and is ridiculously consistent in Europe, and people want to tear it up instead of adding more quality to it.

Good defender but it's a no from me.

Souttar, Helander and Balogun as 3 of our defenders is just asking for trouble.

If Helander is being moved on then yes I'd keep him, but outside a loan to see out Helanders contract. I don't see anyone buying a guy who's been out injured for a year.

He's our best attacking header at set pieces. Good squad option, but him, Phil and JS are ropey injury wise. Still need to sign 2 starters.

Excellent signing and surpassed expectations.

Seems like a really smart and nice guy , just too injury prone for us going forward.

Would love to see him stick around Rangers in some capacity though, Media or Ambassadorial because he’s Top Class.

I dont think hes good enough as our CB mainstay especially in europe, hes a decent squad player and usefull but nowhere near as good as goldson or helander so imo its a downgrade if he is coming to be our main CB.

You are completely wrong on Souttar, he is more than good enough, he is an excellent defender and passer, the only thing that he lacks compared to Goldson is reliability.

Is 52 starts for Balogun across the two seasons. Both of their injury and fitness records are a problem.

In comparison, Goldson has 117 appearances/starts across the last two seasons. That's what we'll need to replace this summer.
i don’t see the need to knock LB’s numbers down to starts when discussing injury/fitness. If he was fit enough to play, he was fit enough to play. So appearances should be discussed.

You use all appearances for Goldson yet only starts for LB? Looks like trying to force through a preconceived agenda rather than debate a point openly. Admittedly all Goldson’s appearances are probably starts, but the point with respect to LB still stands.

i don’t see the need to knock LB’s numbers down to starts when discussing injury/fitness. If he was fit enough to play, he was fit enough to play. So appearances should be discussed.

You use all appearances for Goldson yet only starts for LB? Looks like trying to force through a preconceived agenda rather than debate a point openly. Admittedly all Goldson’s appearances are probably starts, but the point with respect to LB still stands.

It's pretty obvious, there's been plenty of games this season where he wasn't fit enough to start and brought on to finish the game.

Yeah, all the Goldson appearances are starts. So you have a full paragraph starting an argument with yourself there mate.

Is 52 starts for Balogun across the two seasons. Both of their injury and fitness records are a problem.

In comparison, Goldson has 117 appearances/starts across the last two seasons. That's what we'll need to replace this summer.

He was never first choice centre half though.

He was unavailable for 10 games this season and 13 last season.

He has been in the match days squad 89 times in two seasons.

Hes injury record isn't really that bad.

he costs us less goals than Goldson and is every bit as good
He also only played about a 1/3 of which goldson played over 2 seasons.

Hes a decent enough player but imo with Soutter coming in and king and Helander there and with us needing a replacement for Goldson (hopefully pay good money for someone) it imo squezes Balogun out.

I'd like to keep him but not at the expense of Leon King.He has to be below him in the pecking order.

Back