Balogun or Helander as first choice?

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
No point in saying pair them as Goldson is our first choice centre half and the organiser of the defence.
2 competitive games, they have played a game each and been really impressive.

Balogun looks mobile, good on the ball, composed and a great reader of the game.
Helander is an out and out defender, gets in blocks, and has terrific game awareness.

A lovely problem to have, who would you say is the better partner for Goldson?

Balogun deserves to keep his place IMO. If he'd been elegible I'd have had him in tonight.

I think it will be Goldson and Helander. When fit, they've played pretty much every game and I think the gaffer thinks that's his strongest pair

They actually seem similar so far on the limited viewing of Balogun. Helander's reading of the game is superb though.

Balogun for domestic for me, his pace and ability to drive out of defence is better suited to teams sitting back

Balogun needs a few more tough tests for us to decide.

Helander looks great when fit.

Goldson is bulletproof in the eyes of the manager so will mainly be Goldson and one other.

It's a good problem to have right enough.

I’d play Balogun.

He’s had a weeks recuperation.

That was Helanders first big game in a while.

Remember we have five subs now so if we’re cruising we can get Helander 30 mins or so.

For me right now balogun edges it, only because helanders just back from a bad injury, ive only seen him in 1 game right enough ill trust gerrards judgement. We dont look like we’ll concede alot this season. Just need to start firing the goals in

In a great position. Both are good CBs who are left sided. I would say Balogun has the shirt and is probably sharper. However, saying that thought Helander played very well tonight.

If we’ve got another 60-odd game season, then Goldson can’t just automatically start every one given how burned out he looks at times.

Excellent to know we have options.

Can’t be arsed discussing 3 at the back. Seems like it’s beyond Gerrard and Beale.

No point in saying pair them as Goldson is our first choice centre half and the organiser of the defence.
2 competitive games, they have played a game each and been really impressive.

Balogun looks mobile, good on the ball, composed and a great reader of the game.
Helander is an out and out defender, gets in blocks, and has terrific game awareness.

A lovely problem to have, who would you say is the better partner for Goldson?

Will depend on the type of game for me mate.

Balogun looks far more comfortable on the ball, so if we're playing against one of the deep lying defensive teams at Ibrox it's Balogun for me.

However, if it's a game we'll need to do some serious defending in, then Helander must come into our thoughts.

Him and Goldson were outstanding tonight.

I think we might try a 5-3-2 or the 3-4-3 that's quite common in England with two wing backs (so essentially the same thing as a 5-3-2) at times. Balogun, Helander and Goldson would take most of the defensive responsibilities off of Barisic and Tavernier and might free them up to offer more going forward. I thought that signing two forwards in Itten and Roofe also indicated this might be an option.

Great problem to have got 3 good cbs then katic to come back, helander never looked like hes been out for 8 months.

So to answer the op, no idea haha

i think balogun will start on sunday considering helander has just played his first 90 minutes for about 8 months. moving forward tho i really dont know who i could pick between them. there should be at times where goldson should be dropped. hopefully playing 60 games a season he shouldnt need to play them all

We are now in a position to pick players to suit the strikers they will face and we have a pretty decent blend of skills, footedness, aerial ability and tactical understanding.

Helander is a proper defender but I think he is a little lightweight in the air and I think he will sit out games against the likes of Dykes etc. He will play against the scum, where better tactical defending is needed, rather than blootering man and ball.

This is genuinely a hard one for me. I think it might be opposition dependant who gets the game. I think Balogun might be able to cover Goldson’s position to give him a rest when needed.

What Balogun offers is a bit more pace and driving runs forward. His passing looks a little more direct too. We need to see more of Balogun defensively.

In all honesty, the entire centre back choices have started this season very well. Great to have the options available. For Sunday I think the manager will go Goldson and Balogun down to the length of time Helander has been out.

Helander was amazing tonight considering it was his first game for 8 months, having 3 strong CBs is something that we haven’t had for quite a while.

Back