Balogun or Helander as first choice?

Balogun had a good 90 minutes up against Bruce Anderson - a 21-year-old back up player who scored once in 11 games last season - and Ryan Edmundson, a 19-year-old on loan from Leeds who only signed the night before.

Meanwhile, Helander came back in and kept Volland quiet, another big scalp for him after shutting out Marega of Porto earlier in the tournament. Our best run of form last year came with him in the side.

Some people took a look at Helander's ungainly playing style and decided he wasn't for them. I've read posts on here claiming Katic and, hilariously, Edmundson being better than him. Sorry, but that is objectively wrong.

Balogun had a solid debut; he seems a good guy as well. But Helander is a big-money signing from Serie A. He starts every game when fit.
A nail on the head post if there ever was one.

We certainly knew that last season before we strengthened. Any of the 3 could drop out.
It’s possible but I’d be genuinely stunned if Goldson isn’t first pick again this season, he is Gerards main man at the back, he will need to lose form big time before he is dropped and to be fair to him, he has been pretty consistent for us.

Helander is vitally important to us. Balogun starts for me. We need to manage Helander correctly. I think we’ll see rotation there this season.

Difficult one, I to was a bit concerned about Helander last night, especially pace, but he reads the game so well. It's a nice problem to have though.

What a great problem to have

I’d say hellander is our top defender but I think we will see balogun on Sunday

Don’t usually like rotating cb’s but in this case I might be horses for courses.

Against physical teams or where we are likely to be deeper Helander. Where we want to be on the front foot and defending against breaks Balogun

For Sunday it’s Balogun Goldson for first 60 mins, once we have the points in the bag Helander will get some game time.

I know its not liked on here but I think Tav was the weak defensive link last night. If either balogun or helander could play on the right i would play them both.

After tonight it is a CH pairing of Goldson and Helander.
Helander was the standout of all the players on show,

It should be helander next to goldson, having that left footed cb just makes passing angles in the build up so much easier than a right footed cb at lcb. Balogun will fill in at times as he looks a very good player.

We've not seen a lot of either player, but if they play to the levels we have seen, then Balogun just fades it for me. Neither Tav or Borna are best known for their defensive qualities or positioning. We need a bit of pace in the CBs to provide a bit of cover when needed and Balogun has that for me. But, I'm not going to upset either way.

Helander is the best defender at the club. He should be the first choice.

On nights like tonight you can tell who the real quality players in the squad are when they can step up and not look out of place against top class opposition. Helander played very well tonight.
Helander has experience of playing regularly against technically better players from his time in Seria A.

We get to see this in the European games. I really enjoy watching him in these games.

It’s possible but I’d be genuinely stunned if Goldson isn’t first pick again this season, he is Gerards main man at the back, he will need to lose form big time before he is dropped and to be fair to him, he has been pretty consistent for us.
This season will give him a chance to rest and stay sharp. It's a position where we have lacked depth, with Katic having quality, but inconsistency. Most positions have cover now to allow rotation, or at least resting of players. We probably just need another sitting midfielder to complete the squad. This could be exactly what we need to maintain our challenge for the full season rather than just the first half.

It’s very early days for Balogun, he is another good game away from Balogun facts and we all know how that worked out with Goian, he needs to put it on the park for a while yet before he is ahead of Hellander who to me just looks like an absolute class act, excellent defender so composed and calculated in his work.

Hard to say as we have only seen 90 minutes of Balogun against a poor Aberdeen side. Its going to be Goldson with one of Balogun or Helander, and I hope he picks one and stays with the same pairing for the majority of games, I don't like to see central defenders being rotated, they need to form a partnership.

This Sunday, I would select Goldson and Balogun, as Helander not ready for 2 games in 4 days. Also, as he appears to be more mobile, not doubting it but have only seen him play once, he would be the better option against St. Mirren.

Helander at the moment.

Balogun’s debut was promising but it’s still far too early to say he’s a first pick. He will likely start on Sunday. In that respect last night was a huge positive for Helander to get 90 mins but also to have Balogun available to let him recover.

Really happy with our centre half’s & defence overall. All that’s missing is a midfielder. A Box to Box nasty barsteward.
All monies available now need to go into the middle of the park.
That area needs something different, upgraded with a starter / starters.

Balogun on Sunday. Then, play it by ear. Someone may have a poor game and the other plays.

We certainly don't have to decide right now who is Goldson's partner for the rest of the season.

It'll be Goldson, plus Helander/Balogun, in virtually every match. Edmundson will cover.

No stress.

My starting position is that Balogun is our only CD that has genuine pace.

Last night illustrated how easily players can be in on goal against us, despite both CDs generally having a good game.

Probably in the minority, but my position is Balogun & one other.

Havertz and Diaby would have in behind Balogun last night as well if he was playing.

There's a difference in movement, athleticism and execution there than there is playing against Bruce Anderson.

Havertz and Diaby would have in behind Balogun last night as well if he was playing.

There's a difference in movement, athleticism and execution there than there is playing against Bruce Anderson.
What a player Diaby is, and Havertz of course.

Balogun for the next few games at least. Helander then needs to fight for his place, which on last night’s evidence he will do very well!

Also think it depends on the game and opposition once Helander is fit.

Personally think Balogun looks a shade all round better, early stages but the pace, going forward also creates more space and danger at set pieces. Think Helander reads the game better. But great problem to have.

It'll be balogun at the weekend. 2 games in 4 days is too much for helander after his injury. Going forward I'd guess at helander just ahead of balogun but lots of rotation.

Think it'd be good to get edmundson a decent loan for at least the first half of the season. Let him get some game time, another spfl club would be perfect.

Not seen enough of Balogun to merit him starting before Helander,although Balogun will start next couple of league games.
Couple good performances could see him make position his.

What a player Diaby is, and Havertz of course.

Some incredible young players in the top 5 teams in the Bundesliga.

Last night you have Diaby, Havertz and Tapsoba who are all 21. Bailey would be a stand out for us and started both games on the bench.

No point in saying pair them as Goldson is our first choice centre half and the organiser of the defence.
2 competitive games, they have played a game each and been really impressive.

Balogun looks mobile, good on the ball, composed and a great reader of the game.
Helander is an out and out defender, gets in blocks, and has terrific game awareness.

A lovely problem to have, who would you say is the better partner for Goldson?

I fully expect Balogun to start at weekend due to Helander's lack of game time. Saying that, I thought Helander was excellent last night and aggressive in the tackle.

Nice issue to have for a change I suppose

Difficult question to answer, and glad its not me making the choices. A welcome problem for Gerrard to solve. I have a feeling there will be a fair amount of rotation between them.

Back