Balogun's contract

Trigger his years option or offer him slightly improved terms on a 2 year deal (I.e. another 18 months with us) with an option of a 3rd.

Definitely up for that. He's got a mistake or 2 in him for sure, but generally solid and his recovery play is superb. That block last night was top drawer.

Last edited:
I’d give him 3 years . He’s rapid for 32 and hasn’t an ounce of body fat on him . Wasn’t given the credit he deserved last night I felt , he bailed out goldson twice and hoovered up slack passes by others . An excellent modern centre halve
I didn't know he was 32 - genuinely shocked. Could've believed he was 27/28.

His pace of recovery stands out to me and it separates him from Helander a good bit. Helander probably the more robust CB of the two, but Balogun looks like he has the pace and alertness to recover a slip-up, while FH looks to be far less spritely and more vulnerable in that respect.

That said, our central defensive options (when you add Edmundson into the mix as well) are about as solid and deep as I think we could hope for and when you've got that it's worth holding onto as it's not easy to get such solid and reliable chemistry between players as we appear to have in there.

Do we know if there is a deadline for taking the option? I would assume before Hogmanay when he’d be able to speak to other clubs.

I would exercise it and stop at that. All kinds of things can happen in 2 years and it’s not as if he’s a valuable (monetary terms) asset we need to tie up not to lose a fee.

He’s having a good spell, if it’s the same this time next year you would expect that both parties could agree something.

Don't think he's as steady as Helander and he has your heart in your mouth at times but he has that frighetning recovery pace that gets him out of trouble 9/10 when he's out of position.

Has been a brilliant find.

It should rightfully be exercised at end of season let him focus on playing his game just now.

Hopefully with a few medals and a league trophy.

It should rightfully be exercised at end of season let him focus on playing his game just now.

Hopefully with a few medals and a league trophy.
I get that but I’d like it sorted prior to January, protects us from anyone trying to turn his head with huge signing on fees etc.

That said, I imagine he’s loving his time here so not exactly going to be in a rush to move.

I get that but I’d like it sorted prior to January, protects us from anyone trying to turn his head with huge signing on fees etc.

That said, I imagine he’s loving his time here so not exactly going to be in a rush to move.
is he not on an 18 month deal with option of another year so there's plenty of time to trigger our option if a team want him they should pay up.

is he not on an 18 month deal with option of another year so there's plenty of time to trigger our option if a team want him they should pay up.
No mate, just a years deal as he signed in the summer & a possible years extension.

So I imagine if someone did approach him on a pre-contract in January we would be given a chance to match?.

Not sure how these ‘possible extension’ clauses work to be honest but I’d rather have him tied down than any chance of him getting a pre-contract offer.

I've read we have an option. Obviously we will use it as the management aren't TLB (who wouldn't know defender if one nutted him).

We’ve 3 excellent centre backs.
Only real question is does the standard drop of Goodson isint there...

You really have to question Brighton also in that we had an ex-Brighton duo up against Benfica last night while a more regular ex centre half of their's sat on a bench elsewhere in Europe.
Long may it continue.

Wonder if there are other decent players they have passed on, or any more Duffy’s for the poets.

A brilliant find who we should 100% take the extra year option. Kind of sums up the difference between us and them this season - we get an international CB for free who is fit, quick and very comfortable on the ball. Exactly the kind of CB we use in our system. They pay a loan fee and big wages for an international CB who is slow, can't pass a ball and that is the opposite of what they actually need in 99% of their games. But he loves the provos...

I think, if I recall correctly, that his deal is a one year with another years option on our part.

Although still 3rd choice CB for me in most games, we may as well extend it just now. What a find.

Crazy to think he has been nowhere decent until now and is 32.

Has another 2 or 3 year at least in him

I seem to remember another stop gap defender we sign at 34 called Davie Weir and he stayed for 4 years and did a cracking job. Looks like lightening has struck twice in bringing us Balogun!

I like him but he has his moments where errors in his game will happen like Sunday.

I would keep him too. Great find.

Give him a couple of years minimum. Strolls through most games.

Big, strong and quick. Definitely adds some pace into the CH position that Goldson and Helander sometimes lack.

Honestly can’t believe we managed to find an experience centre back on a free with as much class as this guy has. Brilliant signing. I like helander but this Balagun cost us nothing and looks better. Compared to a £7m Julian and this crazy £2m loan for Duffy. Balagun is proper value and proper good work, proper player.

I think, if I recall correctly, that his deal is a one year with another years option on our part.

Although still 3rd choice CB for me in most games, we may as well extend it just now. What a find.

Crazy to think he has been nowhere decent until now and is 32.
Been superb so far. Not sure I’d consider him a “third choice” him & Helander seem to be getting changed for different games. I think the only centre half you can say is x choice is Goldson.

I genuinely don’t rate him that highly. His pace mostly gets him out of situations he shouldn’t be in in the first place.
Seems to have developed a habit of getting caught under the ball too.

If we keep him fit it is a no brainer that we extend the deal, I thought he was excellent last night. Helander probably reads the game better but he has the turn of pace that can be vital.

Once we get Katic back he will make up the 4

According to good old Wikipedia he’s only had around 200 career games and he’s 32. Judging by his quality I can’t believe he’s never really been a regular in any team. I think the quality Around him and the style of play may have brought him up a level.
would be good to hear from Wigan or Brighton bears/ fans to get their thoughts on him before he joined the famous.

According to good old Wikipedia he’s only had around 200 career games and he’s 32. Judging by his quality I can’t believe he’s never really been a regular in any team. I think the quality Around him and the style of play may have brought him up a level.
would be good to hear from Wigan or Brighton bears/ fans to get their thoughts on him before he joined the famous.
Wigan fans were saying he was the best defender in the championship in his short spell there. Obviously that’s only the few I’ve seen so not entirely representative.

Like the big man but Helander should be back in ASAP. Good back up but not helped being played as a right footer on the left of the two.

Wigan fans were saying he was the best defender in the championship in his short spell there. Obviously that’s only the few I’ve seen so not entirely representative.

Correct. Some cant see it yet but will. That block he did on Thursday would never had been made by Helander, lad scores and the game would probably been lost. Speed of foot at the highest level is the difference between winning and losing.

To be fair he hung around in a very competitive bundesliga for the best part of a decade however I noticed he has never been sold for a fee In his career

Balogun has played in Germany, UK et al (similiar to Kent) and that kind of experience is priceless in today's football environment. We are very good at creating an environment where players feel at home, continue to improve and thrive not only in the domestic scene, but internationally too.

We will continue to protect our players (investments) as the Eoropa League provides the right kind of exposure (or if you a scum player obviously not) that will make other European clubs aware of how we are developing talent at Rangers.

While the scum mismanage their players and inavertently lead to a reduction in the value of said players, results in Europe will continue to harm them further financially and it doesnt matter how many undervalued titles you happen to accumulate in Scotland, nobody considers that a feat.

However, add to the equation of us winning the league, watch our value soar further,!

Belt up Bears, we are in for one hell of a ride.

WATP

Back