Ban on betting firm shirt sponsors coming

What about people being in control of there own mind and just don't gamble if you can't do it sensibly. Looking after everyone's feelings is getting boring now
Literally nobody is stopping you doing it, removing the advertising breaks the link between the teams or sport and the betting companies and makes it less visible. You can still buy cigarettes but the removal of marketing makes it less visible to those who don't smoke and prevents marketing men using predatory tactics to attract new customers. The result is that fewer people take up smoking. That's the link that needs to be broken with gambling.

Good riddance. The normalisation of gambling through sport is a disgrace.

You think it is shirt sponsorship that has normalised gambling?

It is an inherent part of British culture. The first legislation passed seeking to regulate it was in the twelfth century so omnipresent was it!

Don't get why people gets worked up about a sticker of a betting company or a beer. There's many more things in modern life which will make u have probles with these issues rather than a sticker on a football shirt

Remember the cans with the club crest on them

My dad uses to drink mcewans all the time

I remember some special edition champions cans that had the Rangers and Blackburn badges on them after our title triumphs in 1995. I was 16yo and having a bevvy with some mates on a cold dark winter Saturday night, up the top of the lane behind the Spar. Wasn't my usual tipple but were purchased because of the can design..... first and only time I drank McEwan's Lager.

Tobacco firms used to occupy that slot. We Don't miss them.
Yes. People accepted that everyone smoking was 100% endangering their body and risking causing their own death by doing so. Times change. It was the responsible thing to do.

What changed regarding gambling ? Is everybody in danger ? Are the people experiencing harm (0.6% of gamblers) just as likely to be put in trouble by something else to get “legally” addicted to and churn through their money if not gambling. Crypto ? Etoro ? OnlyFans ? (I am not qualified to answer that)

100% of smokers are endangering their body.

0.6% of UK gamblers have an addiction problem.
I’d guess 98% don’t win long term and get a recreational thrill of the game and probably 1% win and actually make money.

How can Smoking and Gambling ever be equated ?

What about the person spunking thousands on crap on Amazon or the Next catalogue credit that they can’t afford and spiralling into tragedy ? How many of them are there ? Current UK regulation of gambling states the money gambled has to be physically yours, no credit cards involved.

You pay your own money and you take your chance on either skill or a game of chance. You are not setting fire to a £10 note every time you press the button, which for some reason is the way it is being portrayed due to the revenues of bookmakers. Thats what bookmaking is, you run a 105% book turnover a few billion and the 5% you keep if it plays out level. Same applies to the bingo and slots (only on a much higher % margin and no real skill involved)

The genuine filth in the game is already outlined above - predatory stuff - its happened to posters on here, tragic stuff. Not adhering to the clear rules and allowing someone to blow thousands in a couple hours with no intervention. Bingo chat rooms actually enticing people to play pretending they are your friend.

Thats allowed to happen because the UK Govt / Gambling Commission absolutely refuses to take on the expense of a proper regulatory and affordability setup paid for by the billions in tax they are collecting.

The answer to all this is not to eliminate gambling and hide it, its utterly ridiculous. Its not something to be hidden. For some, its actually presented an opportunity to use their knowledge of sport and a bit of maths to make themselves better off, at the opposite end of the scale from the tragedy you read of. The Bingo and Slots, couldn’t really give a toss, there is no skill involved, much of the predatory stuff happens there.

Make it cleaner and safer, properly regulated by a UK body with actual teeth then we all can continue safely.

This is actually a much wider and targeted thing than just “Football Advertising” the UK Gambling Act of 2005 is about to be ripped up. This is them testing the waters for how far they can push it and getting it on the wider radar of society, the ones that dont particularly care but will have a default “gamblings bad” position.

It’s actually bizarre that while we hit this point in the UK - America is exploding right now with bookmakers galore getting licensed, Sports Teams actually signing exclusive deals with books for in stadium presence and official adverts throughout live American Sport even stated by the commentators, not just graphics.

Whatever your position, be safe.

We are very quickly heading for a complete Nanny State. It's getting quite worrying how many things just get banned because someone says it's not good for everyone.

The krankie party aint good for naebody never mind anyone.

The problem isn't the advertised betting companies imo.

For me it's the amount of games now and that temptation to bet.

There is Monday night football on sky then Champions league tue/wed, Europa on Thursday then a Friday night game and early kickoff on Saturday before the traditional 3pm kick offs of old.

I didn't used to bet much years ago but boredom and a bit of depression leads to a bet here and there and they got you.

It's insane!!! What next can't be seen on shirts? Cakes cos they make you fat? No way! Let's get Jaffa Cakes to sponsor us before it's too late (Just for the orangey bit in the middle ;-)

Hope it goes through, sick of bookies having a chokehold on everything in sports these last few years. If it’s not on the shirt it’s the cup/competition, on the billboards, the last advert before kick off or the name of the stadium. Every single sport seems to be the same it’s like a rash that’s spread everywhere. They must be making f*ckin obscene amounts of cash.

Hopefully they also have to f*ck off with their lad banter style Twitter pages and their facade of trying to stop gambling addiction. How they’ve managed to spin themselves as the good guys by promoting all their anti addiction features is genuinely mental. Sky plaster it everywhere, yet all their sky sports articles link straight to the odds with their bookies now :)) wolves in sheep’s clothing.

Shirt sponsors aren't the issue I feel, it's the fact you can't watch a game without being bombarded with betting ads. I never felt the need to bet because I saw a Rangers shirt with 32Red on it.

You also can't walk through a high street without betting shop after betting shop being in your face.

It's insane!!! What next can't be seen on shirts? Cakes cos they make you fat? No way! Let's get Jaffa Cakes to sponsor us before it's too late (Just for the orangey bit in the middle ;-)
One of the key differences is you can’t rinse your bank balance in a matter of minutes to receive Jaffa cakes on the spot!
Good thing too cos I’d be even heavier otherwise.

Wondered how much longer alcohol and betting sponsors would last.

Just hope it doesn’t drive down the price of sponsorship with part of the current market being removed.

Most of the people I know who do too much sports betting are chavs and neds who would waste thier money on things like overpriced tattoos or overpriced Audis anyway.

Despite no definitive link between such advertising and problematic behavior, the moralists have made the case and it seems the government has fallen in line.
Its spreading beyond football - my work has banned all betting sites which were previously accessible, as of today.

Never you mind making your own decisions, the Government will do it for you.

Not in favour of a ban.

However i've always disliked having '32 Red' plastered on the front of our tops. Not because it's betting, it just looks shite.

People saying things like good have no idea the damage that mentality does - don’t complain when the nanny state (especially in Scotland) step it up a gear and start targeting the things you enjoy like alcohol etc
Emm Do you know the price of Alcohol compared to other countries. They targeted that a long time ago.

Remember the cans with the club crest on them

My dad uses to drink mcewans all the time

I remember both us and Blackburn Rovers logos on them when we won our respective leagues in (I think) 1994.

In saying that, I was only 9 at the time and have barely seen McEwan’s Lager for sale anywhere in my adult life let alone bought it!

People saying things like good have no idea the damage that mentality does - don’t complain when the nanny state (especially in Scotland) step it up a gear and start targeting the things you enjoy like alcohol etc
Absolutely spot on here. £2 off a liter of Grouse in Morrisons.
"Sorry not in Scotland". Same goes for beer offers.

You think it is shirt sponsorship that has normalised gambling?

It is an inherent part of British culture. The first legislation passed seeking to regulate it was in the twelfth century so omnipresent was it!
It doesn't help that half the teams in Britain have gambling firms plastered on the front of their shirt. That plus the prevalence of advertising during sports events means that for many there is now a firm connection between watching a game and placing bets. Gambling is not a new thing obviously but until about 20 years ago it was not as in your face as it is now. There was a deliberate shift in the 2000s by the government to open up gambling to the public which in my opinion was a huge mistake. I don't advocate banning gambling but the association with televised sports and team kits is unnecessary and leads people into gambling who would otherwise not do it. The laddish approach to marketing is also disgraceful, again makes it seem like having a bet is a fundamental part of the social experience for groups of men which it's almost certainly not for most.

Interesting article on the Athletic suggesting that potentially shady Cryptocurreny companies will step in to fill the void following the ban on gambling firms. Most clubs - including us - already have link ups so may start to see the likes of BitCi as the main sponsor on the front of our shirts.
Already happens a lot in Italy and Spain where betting companies are banned from shirts.

Last edited:
Genuinely staggered that there are so many people in this thread defending gambling companies. There are few companies that take so much and give back so little. They are parasites, generally preying on those who can afford it least.

Interesting article on the Athletic suggesting that Cryptocurreny companies will step in to fill the void following the ban on gambling firms. Most clubs - including us - already have link ups so will probably start to see the likes of BitCi on our shirts,
There's always another company willing to step up and sponsor. We shouldn't worry about Rangers losing out if the bookies are banned.

Hope it goes through, sick of bookies having a chokehold on everything in sports these last few years. If it’s not on the shirt it’s the cup/competition, on the billboards, the last advert before kick off or the name of the stadium. Every single sport seems to be the same it’s like a rash that’s spread everywhere. They must be making f*ckin obscene amounts of cash.

Hopefully they also have to f*ck off with their lad banter style Twitter pages and their facade of trying to stop gambling addiction. How they’ve managed to spin themselves as the good guys by promoting all their anti addiction features is genuinely mental. Sky plaster it everywhere, yet all their sky sports articles link straight to the odds with their bookies now :)) wolves in sheep’s clothing.

Many of these companies that posture over responsible gambling do no such thing and it’s only when you go to withdraw they do checks. While you’re feeding in money and losing they don’t give a shit.

Interesting article on the Athletic suggesting that potentially shady Cryptocurreny companies will step in to fill the void following the ban on gambling firms. Most clubs - including us - already have link ups so may start to see the likes of BitCi as the main sponsor on the front of our shirts.
Already happens a lot in Italy and Spain where betting companies are banned from shirts.
The Valencia and Inter Fan Token sponsors on their respective shirts this year are bloody awful looking.

I never feel compelled to use our sponsors products, its a ridiculous notion to suggest every football fan does.

I may stop using products associated with the Tims but that's about as far as it goes.

Nanny state attempting to take control of another part of our game.

This ban may come as a blessing. It gives Bisgrove and the commercial team a blank canvas as such to work towards a new partnership.

I'm not saying it's going to be Emirates but wouldn't be surprised as the club have a partnership with Glasgow Airport, Bisgrove used to work there and has ties there, already had a deal with them when we went to dubai and fans got a discount.

I'm not fussed but gambling firms have been doing a hell of a lot of destroying lives in recent years, got worse with online bookies and the FOBT machines.
In what way are bookmakers destroying lives? Have they been kidnapping people into their shops and forcing them to bet against their will? If so, they should be punished.
On the other hand, if folk are going in of their own free will, that's their choice. Maybe some just need to be a bit less greedy.

Back