Barcelona apparently close to bankruptcy

There's bound to be a strong political element in this. Would Barcelona going bust help neutralize Catalan nationalism? One thing for sure is football and politics are an awful mix. Maybe nothing can help Barcelona now.
Barca are one of the biggest symbols of Catalonia, it will definitely become politicised.

These so called super clubs operate under very different financial circumstances to every other club in their respective countries

giphy.gif

They've become a crucial part of Barcelona the city and to the region of Catalonia. Not a chance they'll be allowed to go under. Catalan government will see to it that they remain solvent. Also fully expecting an exodus of big money players in the summer and a more Youth focused approach rebranded as a 'return' to the clubs roots with Ansu Fati being used as the poster boy for the revival. I do however, fully expect a prolonged period of discontent for them.

They've become a crucial part of Barcelona the city and to the region of Catalonia. Not a chance they'll be allowed to go under. Catalan government will see to it that they remain solvent. Also fully expecting an exodus of big money players in the summer and a more Youth focused approach rebranded as a 'return' to the clubs roots with Ansu Fati being used as the poster boy for the revival. I do however, fully expect a prolonged period of discontent for them.
I thought they’d do that this summer to be honest. They’ll end up getting a loan off the Catalan government to see them through.

These problems have been a long time coming and the reason for trying to force Messi out in the summer was rumoured to be so they could solve their financial problems in one move (£200m fee and his wages off the books).

It’s shocking how badly they’ve been managed in the last 8 or so years. The wage bill is astronomical, the players have far too much power and there’s no strategy when it comes to transfers. Having the core of players they did covered over a lot of the issues off the field.

They were completely bankrupt on the pitch tonight, drawing with Alaves who were down to 10 men for most of the second half, 2 points out of 12 now

Cant stand them, only got as big due to them and Real getting most of the tv and the way the cl is set to fund the big teams.

There's bound to be a strong political element in this. Would Barcelona going bust help neutralize Catalan nationalism? One thing for sure is football and politics are an awful mix. Maybe nothing can help Barcelona now.
That is an interesting piece of conjecture.
I have long said that if the Westminster Government were able to coerce the EPL into committing to a British League incorporating Rangers and The Filth, the push for independence in Scotland would be destroyed in an instant.
Football and politics may be an awful mix, but football often carries more clout than any political movement.

They deserve to go bankrupt.
Their wage bill sets a standard that's killing the game.
Some young player's careers never take off as they end up being paid millions for sitting on the bench throughout Europe.

Wouldn’t that be sweet justice :)

One of teams that ruined the game with massive transfer fees going down the toilet would bring a smile to my face

That is an interesting piece of conjecture.
I have long said that if the Westminster Government were able to coerce the EPL into committing to a British League incorporating Rangers and The Filth, the push for independence in Scotland would be destroyed in an instant.
Football and politics may be an awful mix, but football often carries more clout than any political movement.
I think you're right about football carrying more clout. Politicians, particularly Scottish ones, are too far removed from reality to realise it, or they are on a football gravy train they don't want stopped.
Since the referendum I've come to loath nationalism in a way I didn't think possible. I'd do away with the SFA, SFPL, national team, the lot in an instant for a British league, and British nation team.
I don't know what resistance there is in Catalan to independence, or how the political angle in Barcelona's crisis will play out. And given the magnitude of events in 2020 football's considerable clout will be there for all to see. If Barcelona do go under it'll be right up there as one of 2020's biggest stories.
F*ck me, I've missed kick off:eek:

There’s too many powerful and mega rich people who would pay that off for them if it came to it no problem, nothing will come of this.

Don’t think it’ll ever happen but it would be nuts if they went bust. Would be a massive shockwave to football.

Back