Barcelona facing insolvency?

Something will be done to avoid relegation but they'll need to sell any assets and use youth system.

They do seem to be in a lot of trouble.
Messi has ended up bein an albatross around their neck financially. His salary is huge and they missed the chance to sell him.

he probably brings them in a lot of money too not to mention his performances

I’d say it’s probably poor player investment with no returns on high wages offering a fraction of what he does

When you need loans to pay for your transfer activity that says it all they've been a mess now for a number of years

Once Messi leaves I think panic will set in.

Wonder if these huge debts a large amount of the the a-list clubs are building rapidly will expedite the proposed US backed changes that Fifa have their knickers in a twist about.

4T34PIf.gif

Did they not almost collapse a few years ago? Had a fire sale etc and had to rebuild the whole structure of the club? Seems they haven’t learned a thing.

I think that is the issue. I don't think the government can afford to keep bailing them out like they used to, or they are no long allowed to after that European Commission case a few years back.
The Catalan nationalists will keep them afloat.

The more money they get( the more they want) not just Barca but all the elite clubs, football is going to eat itself with greed.
How many managers are out there that can build a team on a shoestring? what a grounding Rangers have been for Gerrard as he has had to manage and improve us on a budget that is miniscule to the big boys(but pretty lavish in our country)
Lampard has just spent 200m quid on Mendy/Chilwell/Werner and Havertz and they are no further forward.
Ozil 350 k a week/Bale £mental and another couple of hundred EPL payers on more money a week than my dad earned in a lifetime, managers on millions a year etc etc just how is that as a business model sustainable?
Give me Scottish football warts and all anyday of the week where there is still a bit of reality about the place.

he probably brings them in a lot of money too not to mention his performances

I’d say it’s probably poor player investment with no returns on high wages offering a fraction of what he does

Of course he will, and it's far from the only issue, but he is killing them salary wise and they've had money troubles for a long time and missed the chance to sell him to get some money in. They could've had an obscene transfer fee for him only two years ago for example.

Instead they hung onto him and spent hundreds of millions more on dross.

The more money they get( the more they want) not just Barca but all the elite clubs, football is going to eat itself with greed.
How many managers are out there that can build a team on a shoestring? what a grounding Rangers have been for Gerrard as he has had to manage and improve us on a budget that is miniscule to the big boys(but pretty lavish in our country)
Lampard has just spent 200m quid on Mendy/Chilwell/Werner and Havertz and they are no further forward.
Ozil 350 k a week/Bale £mental and another couple of hundred EPL payers on more money a week than my dad earned in a lifetime, managers on millions a year etc etc just how is that as a business model sustainable?
Give me Scottish football warts and all anyday of the week where there is still a bit of reality about the place.
Having more money doesnt always buy better players. Just means the other club wants more of your money.

So much overated shite down south due to inflated wages and values.

Isn't a lot of it down to the "presidency"?
Some of these big Spanish sides elect club presidents, and in order to get elected they make grandiose promises and then actually stick by them, consequences and financial prudence be damned.
The Spanish government, Spanish football authorities and UEFA, could have done something about it, but as so many have mentioned, these big guns seem to be above the law.

Their transfers over the last few years have been so bad you might think there was something dodgy going on.
I don’t dislike Barca but they’ve made their own bed here.

Spot on mate (apart from the “Scottish football, warts and all” comment but that’s a whole other thread).

For years now the “elite” clubs have tried to manipulate the CL and qualification for it in order to ring fence more and more money for themselves to support ballooning salaries and transfer fees.

They’ve never once realised the implications of the staleness and boredom, particularly of the latter stages of the CL.

Match day at some of their grounds is little more than a tourist experience.

Spanish banks and government will sort them out.
Much to the anger of others like Valencia etc.

Would be funny though, the basque terrorist supporters going cap in hand to Madrid!!
It's like our very own mentally challengeds taking government benefits!!

Isn't a lot of it down to the "presidency"?
Some of these big Spanish sides elect club presidents, and in order to get elected they make grandiose promises and then actually stick by them, consequences and financial prudence be damned.
The Spanish government, Spanish football authorities and UEFA, could have done something about it, but as so many have mentioned, these big guns seem to be above the law.

notice Laporte is trying to get back in as president.

They are shanked for years imo. They need a full change in philosophy at that club, widely regarded as one of the clubs that pay big money and big wages for players right at the top of there game. Inflated fees and wages then find it hard to shift the player.

That in itself is unsustainable even if you are winning CL’s every now and again.

Spanish banks and government will sort them out.
Much to the anger of others like Valencia etc.

Would be funny though, the basque terrorist supporters going cap in hand to Madrid!!
It's like our very own mentally challengeds taking government benefits!!
So, nothing new then.

Football has become a financial basket case.

I have absolutely no clue how it could ever be implemented in European football across multiple leagues so I’m not actually advocating it - but a North American cap system - and preferably a hard cap and not some form of ‘luxury tax’ - has some merit in levelling playing fields.

That doesn’t even include a drafting system. That’s another level up entirely :oops:

Back