Barcelona Nou Camp Renovation

Rangerista

As below.

I know it's an iconic historic stadium.

I was there when we played them in 2006 and whilst my mates called it a shithole, I grasped the sheer awesomeness of its grandeur.

But I'm perplexed given Barcelona's recent financial complexities (not withstanding transfer activity), how the feck can they announce such a project?

But here it is:

From

th

To

new_barcelona_camp_nou_stadium.jpg

new_camp_nou_stadium.jpg

The Camp Nou remains a special place for thousands of Bears including myself. Even though it has hardly changed since 1972 . All the old stadiums had a unique feel like Ibrox and Hampden.The new stadiums offer more in terms of your view of the game and some protection from the elements but they can be a bit souless.

That’s an older design of the redesign. The one they are going for removes the top tier completely (they have already started that) builds a few rows of corporate boxes then a new top tier.
Rips even more soul out of it (although I guess even for them money talks)

0_The-NEW-CAMP-NOU-OFFICIAL.jpg

Imagine Barcelona just announced that they're bucking the trend, and that they're just going to do enough to make the stadium 21st Century compliant for safety?

Anything else, like all covered, corporate crap, shirt sponsorship (I know) is not our ethos.

It will, sadly never happen.

the camp nou will look terrible if its covered over, half the beauty of the place is seeing those massive high sloping stands with the sky behind them

the exterior of the stadium is a dump
the concourses and internal stairways are a dump

but from the inside the Camp Nou is the best stadium on the planet for me, it is simply stunning

As below.

I was there when we played them in 2006 and whilst my mates called it a shithole, I grasped the sheer awesomeness of its grandeur.

But I'm perplexed given Barcelona's recent financial complexities (not withstanding transfer activity), how the feck can they announce such a project?

But here it is:

State aid !!

It's just a big concrete bowl devoid of any 'grandeur' and to be honest quite boring architecturally other than sheer size. Mind you the day we were there the car park was full of tourist buses and they were pulling in almost as many day visit punters as we pull in fans on a match day at Ibrox.

Going to the Barcelona vs Athleti game at the camp nou at the end of April. Done the tour and I can't wait to see a game there.

Adding the roof absolutely ruins it imo. It's unique as it is, would be like us cladding over our main stand, just no.

Also, £250m sponsorship deal with naming rights, now going to be called the Spotify Camp Nou

the camp nou will look terrible if its covered over, half the beauty of the place is seeing those massive high sloping stands with the sky behind them

but from the inside the Camp Nou is the best stadium on the planet for me, it is simply stunning

I was surprised when I was there a few years ago at how poor the stairwells were. Crumbling concrete. But the high stands and being able to see the mountains in the distance is iconic.

Same with places like the San Siro. Unique, iconic design, about to be replaced by a modern copy and paste job.

As below.

But here it is:

an old saying " more debt mor honour "

As below.

But here it is:

no you werent :)

When i was there i thought it was a dump in all honesty. Its iconic because of its size and history - but im going to go against the grain and say it can definitely be improved. Whether they get it right or not, time will tell.

Same as the San Siro for me. A tip, perhaps but absolutely iconic and one of the best stadiums in the world as a theatre for the game.

I always bang the drum on these threads, but for me the history, uniqueness and history of these magnificent stadiums should be protected and celebrated. Not bulldozed to make another enormo-dome.

Get a bit depressed when people go on about the importance of the 'customer experience' at a modern stadium because it's easy to buy an extortionate hamburger or the shop's nice or whatever. I genuinely do not understand why normal supporters give a shit about any of this stuff.

As below.

But here it is:

That article is from June 2022.

Here's the latest update

All that £s and it will end up filled with tourist's.
Always fancied taking in a game at the Mestalla . Not sure what Valencia are doing with their new stadium, didn't they run out of money and it's half built?

All that £s and it will end up filled with tourist's.
Always fancied taking in a game at the Mestalla . Not sure what Valencia are doing with their new stadium, didn't they run out of money and it's half built?
They have a plan to restart construction to finish a 49k capacity ground with ‘easy’ upgrading to 70k possible. This was announced last year but how imminent this is will be anybody’s guess.

If you get the chance to go to the current Mestalla, do it(maybe you’ve already been). Totally unique. The north stand is insanely steep. Brilliant stadium imo.

They have a plan to restart construction to finish a 49k capacity ground with ‘easy’ upgrading to 70k possible. This was announced last year but how imminent this is will be anybody’s guess.

If you get the chance to go to the current Mestalla, do it(maybe you’ve already been). Totally unique. The north stand is insanely steep. Brilliant stadium imo.

Wonder what'll happen with that if they get relegated this year. Currently sitting 3rd bottom.

I was shocked at how bad the place was when we played them and I was in the home end. The stand opposite the main stand.

The concourse was just bare concrete and very dark.

I like the look of the upgrade.

Was taken to the Olympic stadium as part of a bus tour that then went onto the Nou Camp about 20 years ago - its quite an impressive stadium itself and we were allowed to just wander the place freely.

Not for me. I visited it in 2019. It wasn’t helped by getting the pitch relaid at the time but it was disappointing to me. Looked very tired. The museum on the other hand was great.

Going to visit the Bernabeau and San Siro in July. I’ll be in Barcelona again for a few days too and may go by the Olympic stadium again.

Back