Barcelona under Xavi

Really good video OP thanks for posting.

In short, yes, the way to break down tightly packed defences is to play quick, accurate passes and move. Not the sea saw motions we are used to seeing, but that is how these moves start at the back but we see them across the penalty area. What I noticed from that video though is the starting point of the opposition defences, much higher than we are used to playing against in the spfl. Which makes their quick movement harder to deal with again.

Have often wondered when we win the ball back and nothing seems to be moving infront of us, if we play the ball back to our goal keeper or centre back who hits a low ball trying to find the opposition CB, we then press high and hard and try and force a turnover high up the pitch. Their CB will have limited options and with an organised press could really cause the opposition issues.

Technique and awareness need to be drilled into players at an early age, if you are 25 and you still cannot play the ball in tight spaces and think 3 passes ahead you are never going to be able to do it.

This has to be trained from an early age. Most of those players come through the Barca academy or have come very very good academies or just worked harder than everyone else to get to that level.

We could start training our youth teams to play like that and hopefully they get it but our current players, if they can't do it already there really isn't much hope for them.

I don't think our players can pass the ball quickly enough. We always seem to take an extra touch or two, rather than first time, or even two touches.

I think the horseshoe could work if we moved the ball quicker but just now, it's just too slow

Barcelona has a good manager at the moment. They also have some exceptional talent in experienced players and their youth players. Problem is that a fair portion of them shouldn't even be able to play for Barcelona at the moment. None of the new signings should be playing and half their team from last season should be out.

Barcelona have ripped the absolute pish when it comes to FFP and should be facing a transfer ban of years but obviously that isn't going to happen. They recently declared a profit in their finances which has to be one of the single biggest lies ever told in football, they did not go from nearly £1bn in debt to £84m in profit in a matter of days with no explanation to where it actually came from. Bearing in mind, there is only so much even directors etc. can put in as well.

I wish Barcelona the absolute top level of misery in football. After all we've been through to see pricks like this just laughing and getting on with it it's pretty sickening. So, f*ck them.

Apologies for the diversion from what the thread was about. :))

Was watching this video and it struck me how good Barcelona were in tight spaces. How hard is it to implement this style of play? Would it even work against the thugs in Scotland? Thought I'd post this for something different to discuss during the international break.

Any team can do this if they have the players who possess enough technique to carry it out.
There is the ceiling of reality.

That said, I was fascinated watching Italy defending against Hungary last night.
The way they moved as a unit to limit space to attackers and to just basically squeeze the game and basically suffocate everything Hungary attempted in the attacking third, reminded me of how Gerrard had us defending for a period in Europe.
This is achievable.

I don't think you have to reach near those levels to play exciting forward thinking football in Scotland. Some of the goals we scored under Gerrard were top drawer when it came to pass and move.
We really struggled to break down teams under Gerrard. It's been a failing for a long time now. We are capable of scoring great goals but teams know that if they sit in from the first whistle then they can get points from us.

Was watching this video and it struck me how good Barcelona were in tight spaces. How hard is it to implement this style of play? Would it even work against the thugs in Scotland? Thought I'd post this for something different to discuss during the international break.

Pedri and Gavi (19 and 18 years old) are exceptional players in the mould of the greats Xavi and Iniesta.

Reactions: TQ3
We really struggled to break down teams under Gerrard. It's been a failing for a long time now. We are capable of scoring great goals but teams know that if they sit in from the first whistle then they can get points from us.
Absolutely, and we weren't good enough to do it over long periods of time, however the fact that we could score good goals through quick build up, interchange of play and precise passing shows you don't need to be Barcelona under Xavi to do it.

You need to be able to handle the ball, however, you also need quick thinking, brains and the ability to interpret patterns and situations before they happen.

Many Scottish players panic when decision making on the ball. It also takes a long time to perfect playing triangles out of defence or at the edge of the opposition penalty box.

I don't think our players can pass the ball quickly enough. We always seem to take an extra touch or two, rather than first time, or even two touches.

I think the horseshoe could work if we moved the ball quicker but just now, it's just too slow
I think this is almost entirely down to their mindset. Our players are very aware that if they make a mess of the simplest of passes then the crowd will quickly be on their backs. This discourages players to take a risk on the first time ball or to try something out of the ordinary.

Many Scottish players panic when decision making on the ball. It also takes a long time to perfect playing triangles out of defence or at the edge of the opposition penalty box.
They panic because its not cultured into them when they are younger and they are driven towards just winning at all costs at all levels. Even at 7/8 yrs old in this country coaches are screaming at players to press press press defenders trying to get out from the back and they aren't given the time or the breathing space to learn it properly because they are so conditioned to just win. Our young players are world beaters at running around like headless chickens, throwing ourselves into tackles with bags of energy to compete. Sadly the technical side that you need to get to the top is in short supply amongst most coaches due to the need for them to get results and medals. Young player development should be measured on player progress and not where his/her team sits in their league or how far they get in cup competitions.

They panic because its not cultured into them when they are younger and they are driven towards just winning at all costs at all levels. Even at 7/8 yrs old in this country coaches are screaming at players to press press press defenders trying to get out from the back and they aren't given the time or the breathing space to learn it properly because they are so conditioned to just win. Our young players are world beaters at running around like headless chickens, throwing ourselves into tackles with bags of energy to compete. Sadly the technical side that you need to get to the top is in short supply amongst most coaches due to the need for them to get results and medals. Young player development should be measured on player progress and not where his/her team sits in their league or how far they get in cup competitions.

Spot on. I can recall when Brian Laudrup first came to Ibrox and during games he was often 3 moves ahead of his team-mates, sometimes even pointing to them where they should be to receive a return pass.

I wish Barcelona the absolute top level of misery in football. After all we've been through to see pricks like this just laughing and getting on with it it's pretty sickening. So, f*ck them.

Massive amounts of irony in you saying that as a fan of Real, probably historically the biggest offenders in the world when it comes to underhand financial tactics :))

Very .

After their recent conduct I wish Barca would just fail to exist. Making an absolute mockery of FFP and signing players for 70-80 million while asking others to defer wages.

Disgusting behaviour.

This. Trying to get de Jong to waive wages owed etc, failing to register players until they signed off intellectual rights to something they owned.

They're allowed to do as they wish.

A fucking joke.

Meanwhile we get put on a watchlist and face real punishment if we actually do breach it.

Massive amounts of irony in you saying that as a fan of Real, probably historically the biggest offenders in the world when it comes to underhand financial tactics :))
I know, but I like them so my rant will remain at Barca. :))

Real Madrid should have had their arses kicked severely as well over the years but I don't think any club has come close to Barca of late. The fact they're getting players registered even though they don't have the financial space suggests a new level of corruption we've never seen. Madrid included.

I think the most annoying thing I see at Ibrox is a lack of pace on a pass.

You make a good point about the coaching at youth level. Surely it is not all because of lack of funding at grassroots level? To me, there is plenty of scope for improvement, even with limited resources faced by youth teams all over. For a start I would make the dimensions of the pitch smaller, play with a smaller size ball, and encourage skills and control in small spaces.

I know, but I like them so my rant will remain at Barca. :))

Real Madrid should have had their arses kicked severely as well over the years but I don't think any club has come close to Barca of late. The fact they're getting players registered even though they don't have the financial space suggests a new level of corruption we've never seen. Madrid included.
Can’t disagree with that. But Madrid have been at it since I was a wee boy so I reckon they’re the biggest offenders across time.

But if FFP was taken seriously Chelsea, City, United and PSG would be in a world of shit too.

Can’t disagree with that. But Madrid have been at it since I was a wee boy so I reckon they’re the biggest offenders across time.

But if FFP was taken seriously Chelsea, City, United and PSG would be in a world of shit too.
It really is time UEFA enforce it or bin it. The clubs we've been discussing in the last couple of responses essentially just tell UEFA to bolt and they do. Yet, they'll come after smaller (less rich) clubs no problem for very minor issues. Like they did with us, putting us on warning.

They go to PSG and say "we're giving you a notice that you could potentially breach FFP" and PSG respond with "go f**k yourselves" and they do.

Barcelona has a good manager at the moment. They also have some exceptional talent in experienced players and their youth players. Problem is that a fair portion of them shouldn't even be able to play for Barcelona at the moment. None of the new signings should be playing and half their team from last season should be out.

Barcelona have ripped the absolute pish when it comes to FFP and should be facing a transfer ban of years but obviously that isn't going to happen. They recently declared a profit in their finances which has to be one of the single biggest lies ever told in football, they did not go from nearly £1bn in debt to £84m in profit in a matter of days with no explanation to where it actually came from. Bearing in mind, there is only so much even directors etc. can put in as well.

It’s quite clear how they achieved their profit as they sold off large parts of their media and merchandising rights for the next 25 years so got a large cash injection.

It really is time UEFA enforce it or bin it. The clubs we've been discussing in the last couple of responses essentially just tell UEFA to bolt and they do. Yet, they'll come after smaller (less rich) clubs no problem for very minor issues. Like they did with us, putting us on warning.

They go to PSG and say "we're giving you a notice that you could potentially breach FFP" and PSG respond with "go f**k yourselves" and they do.
UEFA only care about making money and know they need these clubs to be at the top to earn the maximum amount possible. The clubs know this too ergo they’ve got UEFA over a barrel. Shite state of affairs but that’s how it is in football now where it’s all controlled by greedy bastards and billionaire playboys.

It’s quite clear how they achieved their profit as they sold off large parts of their media and merchandising rights for the next 25 years so got a large cash injection.
From the noises made in Spain that wouldn't have been enough to cover the money they got to claim nearly £100m in profit. In fact, it wouldn't even have covered the costs to get rid of the debt. Not to mention the fact La Liga had told them a few of the deals they were working on would not be accepted as income due to the length of time for it to make sense.

From the noises made in Spain that wouldn't have been enough to cover the money they got to claim nearly £100m in profit. In fact, it wouldn't even have covered the costs to get rid of the debt. Not to mention the fact La Liga had told them a few of the deals they were working on would not be accepted as income due to the length of time for it to make sense.
It’s got nothing to do with getting rid of the debt, it’s about turning a profit for a financial year, la liga accepted all of the deals made when they announced Barcelona’s spending cap for the current season.

It’s got nothing to do with getting rid of the debt, it’s about turning a profit for a financial year, la liga accepted all of the deals made when they announced Barcelona’s spending cap for the current season.
They're still pricks. :)) :)) :))

For a start I would make the dimensions of the pitch smaller, play with a smaller size ball, and encourage skills and control in small spaces.
I attempted this with an under 11s team and was asked by the parents why we weren’t using the big baw and had small goals. At training I insisted on a small ball to improve their touch and again, other coaches in the club would question it. The final straw for me, on top of pathetic pitches and facilities was an opposition coach complaining about the size of the pitch and goals we had set out (within the rules) and refusing to play with 10 as we, a small village team, had only 10 due to call offs. The result was never in doubt, especially as this guy combed Aberdeen for all the best players and was only interested in winning and bumping up his goal difference. Watching wee goalies getting lobbed in the big goals from the half way line might be for some people, but they learn nothing and nobody is interested in your under 11 cup or league medal when you get to adulthood. This was 20 years ago and watching the local kids team last weekend, it seems nothing has changed

I always enjoy the inference that guys like Messi, Iniesta and Xavi could find it tough to play their tippy tappy football against the hammer throwers of the SPFL.

I attempted this with an under 11s team and was asked by the parents why we weren’t using the big baw and had small goals. At training I insisted on a small ball to improve their touch and again, other coaches in the club would question it. The final straw for me, on top of pathetic pitches and facilities was an opposition coach complaining about the size of the pitch and goals we had set out (within the rules) and refusing to play with 10 as we, a small village team, had only 10 due to call offs. The result was never in doubt, especially as this guy combed Aberdeen for all the best players and was only interested in winning and bumping up his goal difference. Watching wee goalies getting lobbed in the big goals from the half way line might be for some people, but they learn nothing and nobody is interested in your under 11 cup or league medal when you get to adulthood. This was 20 years ago and watching the local kids team last weekend, it seems nothing has changed
One thing that strikes me at the under 11s and younger, is just how many coaches pigeon hole many youngsters into a special position. Even kids at five years old.

I meant if we tried it. Should have clarified that.
Obviously our players don’t have anything like the same ability, which I think you clearly need to make it work.

This is partly why I think we needed to try and improve the overall quality of our starting eleven.

If we want to play better football consistently, we need better players.

A lot of the money came from selling future TV rights.

They also got lots of wages of the books via loans, transfers & contract renegotiations

Though the only reason they were struggling was they had a year of games with empty stadiums & they now have a 100k in the Noucamp every game

You make a good point about the coaching at youth level. Surely it is not all because of lack of funding at grassroots level? To me, there is plenty of scope for improvement, even with limited resources faced by youth teams all over. For a start I would make the dimensions of the pitch smaller, play with a smaller size ball, and encourage skills and control in small spaces.
Lack of funding isn't a genuine excuse. Coaches at grassroots level are not vetted, there's no process in place to measure coach performance. The SFA don't audit or follow up on the coaches that go through their 'coach pathway'. Grassroots football in Scotland relies heavily on volunteers, the problem is 90% of those volunteers mean well but haven't the first clue about player development.

When Ross Wilson was all the rage and people wanted to talk about progression planning on here, and who would be our manager after Gerrard, I repeatedly said I thought we should go for Xavi (who was managing Al Sadd at the time) so he could rest himself at a European club before he inevitably went back to Barcelona.

Unfortunately, he moved to Barca around the same time as Gerrard quit, so we missed an opportunity in my opinion.

We got the horseshoe instead.

When Ross Wilson was all the rage and people wanted to talk about progression planning on here, and who would be our manager after Gerrard, I repeatedly said I thought we should go for Xavi (who was managing Al Sadd at the time) so he could rest himself at a European club before he inevitably went back to Barcelona.

Unfortunately, he moved to Barca around the same time as Gerrard quit, so we missed an opportunity in my opinion.

We got the horseshoe instead.
We’d have had no chance mate - he rejected Barca twice because it wasn’t the right project for him at that time. He was basically waiting for the opportunity to join them with guaranteed funding. All he had to do was sit on his Al Saad money for that to arrive

If you watched the Celtic-Real Madrid game you'd see how comfortable Madrid were in possession, even in and around their own box. Suppose you could say it's risky football but when you have guys who are so technically gifted and comfortable on the ball then why wouldn't you play that way. They were even firing passes into Courtois and using him as part of the build up.

Good to say Xavi doing well and having Barca playing that style of football. They'd lost their way a wee bit for a few seasons.

Back