Barcelona's latest account wheeze explained

Hell fcking mend them.

This isn't a situation that they've been forced into - they're still trying to act like they have all the money in the world and making stupid bids for players.

They could easily cut their cloth for a few years, build up again and take the temporary hit. They'd be back in no time. But they don't want to. They're so entitled they think they have a divine right to spend money and see it almost as an injustice that the cash has to, you know, actually come from somewhere.

Get it up them.

Hell fcking mend them.

This isn't a situation that they've been forced into - they're still trying to act like they have all the money in the world and making stupid bids for players.

They could easily cut their cloth for a few years, build up again and take the temporary hit. They'd be back in no time. But they don't want to. They're so entitled they think they have a divine right to spend money and see it almost as an injustice that the cash has to, you know, actually come from somewhere.

Get it up them.
This
Sell their top players. Sit mid table for 2 or 3 seasons and come back in a healthier position. Their worldwide marketing and fantourism will keep them going

Used to like Barca when they had Messi, Xavi, Iniesta. Joy to watch

Now with all their financial dodgy tricks I can’t stand them and would love it if they had a financial meltdown

The way they’re treating players on contracts, trying to publicly shame them, is a disgrace

The article does open with the words "So apparently" which I'm guessing is to cover whoever wrote it from bring sued in the event it's not accurate but even although it's an incredibly stupid thing to do I actually believe it, shows just how fùcked up they are financially.

Haha.

It’s all well lording over others for ‘playing anti-football’ when you are paying players you can’t afford.

Get it right up them.

Not so much Sixth Streets, more Queer Street.

Genuinely starting to think that there's traction in the idea that Barca are being run into the ground so some rich Sheikh can swoop in at the last minute to "save" them.

Bet the whole of Spanish football and all the media outlets will be clammering for Barcelona to be thrown out of the league and denied any prize money earned.

Well, maybe not.

Truth is, they need to sell players in order to service their debt. They seem oblivious to that and instead are spending like it's going out of fashion.

It might sting, but if they sold the likes of Pedri, Ansu Fati, De Jong etc they'd pull in £200m+ easy.

As much as I find this amusing, is there any truth to it? Sounds like the ramblings of tim blogger.
Apparently there is.

I was listening to some Spanish journalist talking about it earlier, their president though seems to think they can sort it to get below the La Liga threshold before the start of their season.

Absolutely no idea how , unless there’s some serious dodginess going on or they make one or two big sales.

Some Saudi public investment fund will be along to bail them out shortly whilst probably acquiring a majority in the club almost as if that’s the whole plan

posted that on another thread, as result of the wizard accountancy they somehow managed to create a tax bill worth near €40 million on money that never existed!

just what the fvck are the hierarchy doing there?

Can't register any new players, don't have any real fuckin money, yet they still lord about football thinking they can do as they like.

Threatening to take legal action over Frenkie de Jong's contract is mental as well.

I truly hope they get fucking ruined.

Now with all their financial dodgy tricks I can’t stand them and would love it if they had a financial meltdown

The way they’re treating players on contracts, trying to publicly shame them, is a disgrace

3 players that came through their academy!

I’m struggling to understand who Barcelona got into so much deep shit so quickly. For decades, the majority of their side was from their own academy

I feel sorry for their genuine fans.

A club run by cunts.
Well said.

Just like us with Murray and Whyte, it is important to separate the club/fans with how the shysters in charge have ran the club. Had we known exactly what was happening behind the scenes then they would likely have been chased.

The difference between us and them is that at least their fans have some direct say in who runs the club. The fans who are owners/members should really be choosing better, and must have a degree of responsibility.

A lot of folk tend to judge a club these days by how one or two at the top run the club, forgetting the average punters who are getting shafted as much as anyone.

They really have turned into the biggest piece of shit club on the planet, after Celtic of course. What a downfall for them and it will surely take a long time to get them back after this mess. The fact they're now threatening to take De Jong to court over his contract as he won't leave on a free with no wages is proper scumbag material.

The fact they signed players knowing they haven't paid current ones and can't register them should have seen them kicked out of the bloody league never mind Europe. Then, the fact they added money to their own TV deal sale to make it look like it was worth more has to be out and out illegal but none the less should have also seen them booted out of competitions.

Don't think Messi will fully realise just how lucky he was to have gotten out when he did.

Exactly.

No idea why anyone wants to sign for them when it's publicly known so many of their players contracts are not being honoured! I would be wanting a large upfront payment

Well said.

Just like us with Murray and Whyte, it is important to separate the club/fans with how the shysters in charge have ran the club. Had we known exactly what was happening behind the scenes then they would likely have been chased.

The difference between us and them is that at least their fans have some direct say in who runs the club. The fans who are owners/members should really be choosing better, and must have a degree of responsibility.

A lot of folk tend to judge a club these days by how one or two at the top run the club, forgetting the average punters who are getting shafted as much as anyone.
Most fans don't give a toss about finance. It seems to be an obsession in Scotland and I think we all know why.

The average Barca fan will be clueless as to the precarious nature of where they are financially.

Also, the average fan will have about as much influence on the directors of Barca as we do with C1872. i.e. none.

What the people running Barca have done and continue to do is morally wrong.

But I sit here and wish that another club goes under when I recall how I felt when we were teetering on the edge.

Barca could have fixed all this. Sell a few top players, bring in 4-5 from the youth side. Stop signing players. Pocket the cash.

Come out the other side stronger.

Instead they are just snowballing the whole thing. I cant see it ending any other way than a middle eastern new owner bailing them out.

They really have turned into the biggest piece of shit club on the planet, after Celtic of course. What a downfall for them and it will surely take a long time to get them back after this mess. The fact they're now threatening to take De Jong to court over his contract as he won't leave on a free with no wages is proper scumbag material.

The fact they signed players knowing they haven't paid current ones and can't register them should have seen them kicked out of the bloody league never mind Europe. Then, the fact they added money to their own TV deal sale to make it look like it was worth more has to be out and out illegal but none the less should have also seen them booted out of competitions.

Don't think Messi will fully realise just how lucky he was to have gotten out when he did.
Agree with you, except that Messi was the reason they were in that financial position. Widely reported he was on 138m Euros a year for his last contract. That’s 2.65m A WEEK. Pre Covid that was 16.5% of their income. In 2021 it was 24%. To be financially stable you need to keep wages below 60% of turnover. Barca were paying Messi around 25-40% of what should have been their total wage budget. For one player? Bonkers, no matter how good he is. No one else on the planet was earning even half that in salary. And he tried to hold the club to ransom in the end and it backfired.

Now they are using accounting tricks to try and spend even more money they can’t afford? Not on young talent at a lower level of wages to develop while keeping costs down and sell at a profit to pay down their debt, but 40+ million on a 34 year old striker?

And after that they now threaten to sue one of their own players to force him to leave and let them away with not paying him 17m Euros?

I just don’t think they care. Think they are too big and too important. The ESL thing showed that, now deJong. It’s a joke on every level.

Used to like them, now can’t stand them. They are a symbol of everything wrong with modern football. If they had any morals La Liga should throw the book at them for this.

Well said.

I actually think the fact fans have a say is a big part of the problem. Like politicians, the candidates for President try and buy the votes of the fans. They promise the earth to get elected and make decisions only for the short term. Someone else will have to clean up the mess down the line. But no one wants to as you don’t get to be President that way.

The fans don’t have visibility on all the financial issues so they go with the guy who say he has a way to keep buying the top players. No one was campaigning on a platform of “it’ll take 5 years of pain, but let’s sort this and come back strong and stable for the next 20”.

I do still feel a bit sorry for the fans as it has been complete mismanagement but only a little as they were hardly up in arms when they were signing all the big names asking where the money was coming from.

Back