Barišić vs Wales

TimzRFudz

Solid performance, although if I was being harsh I'd suggest he could have got tighter to the guy that played in Bale for his goal. Seem to switch off for a split second.

Harrogate Bluenose

Whit? Only young? He’s 27 next month. Young to me LOL but at his peak in football terms.

He ensured his team kept possession. Simple as that.
Agreed, It was clear the tactic was possession. Find yer man and work on triangles. Only advancing when the opportunity arose. Not to gamble and happy to take a point. And considering who he was up against at times I think he deserves massive credit for doing his job 100%.

Scooby

Croatia controlled practically the whole game. They were happy with the draw and just saw out time.

devilman

Has to be said, Barasic had another very solid performance at an International level. He is a very good player and is going to continue to be for many a year to come.

Glasgow Rangers (Sco)

He’s not getting drawn to the ball as much and the space between him and the left hand sided centre half is no longer gapping......

Hope he can keep this up

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
I was hoping some of Barisic’s most aggressive critics would be in these threads delighted for him. But conspicuous by their absence, it seems they may actually be more irked by his upturn in form which seems a bit mental. But then with the level of venom aimed at him previously maybe I really shouldn’t be surprised.

It’s brilliant to see him doing so well, long may it continue.

tazzabear

Whit? Only young? He’s 27 next month. Young to me LOL but at his peak in football terms.

He ensured his team kept possession. Simple as that.
Some seem to want every pass and every move to be an attacking, offensive, constructive one.
Till it goes wrong and it’s “he’s got to learn when to put it up the park” or “put it in row Z”.
Everybody is smartie pants after the event.

student_loyal

Official Ticketer
What other options do Croatia have at LB out of interest?

He seems to have made that spot his own recently.

LucyBlue

What other options do Croatia have at LB out of interest?

He seems to have made that spot his own recently.
Well, Ivan Strinić was their regular left back but was diagnosed with a heart condition. He's recently been released by Milan and is currently without a club. At 32 it's hard to see him coming back at international level.
Dario Melnjak would now be Barišić's main rival but he's hardly setting the heather alight in Turkey at the moment and has only one cap although he makes most squads.
It does seem the left back position is Barišić's to lose right now.

student_loyal

Official Ticketer
Well, Ivan Strinić was their regular left back but was diagnosed with a heart condition. He's recently been released by Milan and is currently without a club. At 32 it's hard to see him coming back at international level.
Dario Melnjak would now be Barišić's main rival but he's hardly setting the heather alight in Turkey at the moment and has only one cap although he makes most squads.
It does seem the left back position is Barišić's to lose right now.
Thanks - appreciate the comprehensive answer :)

Can only add to his confidence & value

GovanFront4

I was hoping some of Barisic’s most aggressive critics would be in these threads delighted for him. But conspicuous by their absence, it seems they may actually be more irked by his upturn in form which seems a bit mental. But then with the level of venom aimed at him previously maybe I really shouldn’t be surprised.

It’s brilliant to see him doing so well, long may it continue.
It's such a shame that posters/fans have such entrenched views on a player. Barasic has improved so much from last season IMO. I was a bit of a critic, but delighted to see him playing well and he's becoming a big part of our team.

theglasgowrangers

Why?
When?
For Croatia tonight?
When the player(s) in front of him are available to take a pass.
When his coach wants him to?
Mate its an opinion am not saying he is a bad player just an opinion of mine that last night and in a a few of our games i feel he is too quick to just play the ball back to the centre back. Rather than look up and see whats infront a few times last night he just passed the ball straight back to the centre half.

MSF

Mate its an opinion am not saying he is a bad player just an opinion of mine that last night and in a a few of our games i feel he is too quick to just play the ball back to the centre back. Rather than look up and see whats infront a few times last night he just passed the ball straight back to the centre half.
Its true. The fact he has stopped doing it so much for us is part of why his form has changed, being braver on the ball & seeing the rewards of it.

Was probably a 6/10 last night. Didn’t really do anything wrong, but didn’t necessarily play well.

Harrogate Bluenose

Watch it again and watch who is marking the guy who plays it back in for Bale to finish.
m8
he is not marking. He is shielding. To suggest the goal came from him not marking another persons man close enough is pants.

Seems some find it hard to give credit, just read another post saying he did not really play well. omfg. He did his fkin job. And done what was needed.

TimzRFudz

m8
he is not marking. He is shielding. To suggest the goal came from him not marking another persons man close enough is pants.

Seems some find it hard to give credit, just read another post saying he did not really play well. omfg. He did his fkin job. And done what was needed.
How about you go back and read my original post on this.

Scooby

What he did last night was conform to the game plan Croatia had in mind. Croatia clearly were happy to settle for the draw, they had loads of possession with no attempt to drive forward.

They killed the game and were very professional in seeing the game out, Barasic included.

theglasgowrangers

What he did last night was conform to the game plan Croatia had in mind. Croatia clearly were happy to settle for the draw, they had loads of possession with no attempt to drive forward.

They killed the game and were very professional in seeing the game out, Barasic included.
But my view on it is its a trait of his he did a lot last season and just passed back inside when he could look up and someone would be showing in the midfield. Am not talking solely about last night but his play in general. He hasnt been doing it much for us this season as he is more confident in himself and been hitting better form.

GovanFront4

But my view on it is its a trait of his he did a lot last season and just passed back inside when he could look up and someone would be showing in the midfield. Am not talking solely about last night but his play in general. He hasnt been doing it much for us this season as he is more confident in himself and been hitting better form.
There is a notable difference though, from being scared to go forward and not getting crosses in against poor Scottish teams when we needed it. That's different from being controlled in possession and great positioning to deal with the threat of one of the best attackers in the game.

Yes he did have a trait where he used to pass back unnecessarily, but I don't think last night was anything like what he used to do.

theglasgowrangers

There is a notable difference though, from being scared to go forward and not getting crosses in against poor Scottish teams when we needed it. That's different from being controlled in possession and great positioning to deal with the threat of one of the best attackers in the game.

Yes he did have a trait where he used to pass back unnecessarily, but I don't think last night was anything like what he used to do.
very generous review of him last night. I think its down to his confidence and belief in himself. When he believes in his ability and is confident he doesnt do it. Last night bigger stage just plays it safe. Its just frustrating because you know he can look up and find the pass. Am not saying he should do it everytime but sometimes when he can he opts to play it back. He done well as you say against one of the worlds better players who then switched sides because he wasnt getting any joy. But just my observation of watching the game last night.

Blueranger45

Remember the dark days in 2013 2014 odd when we had no international call ups to this.

How I love where we are right now.

Barasic, Morelos, Kamara, Jones, Airbo, Katic.
to add to this, Borna is the starting LB in a team who were involved in the 2018 World Cup Final

even a few years ago, this would have been a post laughed at on this board if somebody had told us we'd get one of our squad in a position like that

GovanFront4

very generous review of him last night. I think its down to his confidence and belief in himself. When he believes in his ability and is confident he doesnt do it. Last night bigger stage just plays it safe. Its just frustrating because you know he can look up and find the pass. Am not saying he should do it everytime but sometimes when he can he opts to play it back. He done well as you say against one of the worlds better players who then switched sides because he wasnt getting any joy. But just my observation of watching the game last night.
I get what you're saying and there were clearly confidence issues last season. He has to bomb forward for us due to the style of play and the poor opposition. Last night if he was caught up the park there was no way he was getting back to Bale. He marshalled him very well I think. You could see midfielders collecting the ball off all the defence very deep. Croatia obviously wanted the midfielders on the ball and the full backs to hold back.

Harrogate Bluenose

100% spot on.

Bowery Boy

Delighted that Barisic is now showing his true form. He's made the LB spot his own. Thankfully the calls for Halliday or Flanagan to start at LB are now pretty much non existent.

TimzRFudz

what the one where you say he switched off ;-)
The one where I said he had a solid game and if I was being harsh, etc.... you could have expected him to step up two or three yards onto Davies and if he'd done so he'd have found it a lot harder to play Bale in. He wasn't marking someone else's man. He stands his ground whereas stepping onto Davies would have made it harder for him.

Latest posts