Barišić vs Wales

Croatia's attack was pretty pedestrian tonight, their passing and possession play tho' top drawer.

Barisic would get a solid 7/10 - did nothing wrong.

think Croatia went there looking for a draw and got it, Sky hyping up Wales a bit too much - "had opportunities to win"

don't really remember too many chances for either team, other than the ones they scored

Good solid game from Borna but they don't use his forward running enough,they could/should have used his overlaps more, especially when their mid-field were going nowhere through the middle

Croatia's attack was pretty pedestrian tonight, their passing and possession play tho' top drawer.

2nd half they just didn't get the ball wide left quick enough. From 65' onwards Barišić and Perisic were finding themselves in acres of space only for Vida and Rakitic to slow it down.

Barišić was solid, neat and tidy. You could tell he was holding back at times and he looked like he just wanted the ball out wide quicker so he could give and go.

7/10.

I would give an 8 considering he kept Bale quiet on his side of the park. Granted I missed 20 mins, but from what I seen, well done Barisic.

Passes back to the centre half too much, needs to try find forward pass a bit more but more than held his own

He passed the ball back a lot of the time because when Vidal and Rakitic eventually got the ball to him, he was either closed down or Perisic wasn't in a position to be picked out. Rakitic and Modric sat deep.

He passed the ball back a lot of the time because when Vidal and Rakitic eventually got the ball to him, he was either closed down or Perisic wasn't in a position to be picked out. Rakitic and Modric sat deep.
Just felt like his first instinct is to just play the safe pass rather than look for it. Think he does the same for us aswell.

Last edited:
Just felt like his first instinct is to just play the safe pass rather than look for it. Think he does the same for us aswell. Again still got a lot to learn only young but just a trait he has imo

Whit? Only young? He’s 27 next month. Young to me LOL but at his peak in football terms.

He ensured his team kept possession. Simple as that.

Solid performance, although if I was being harsh I'd suggest he could have got tighter to the guy that played in Bale for his goal. Seem to switch off for a split second.

Whit? Only young? He’s 27 next month. Young to me LOL but at his peak in football terms.

Agreed, It was clear the tactic was possession. Find yer man and work on triangles. Only advancing when the opportunity arose. Not to gamble and happy to take a point. And considering who he was up against at times I think he deserves massive credit for doing his job 100%.

Croatia controlled practically the whole game. They were happy with the draw and just saw out time.

Has to be said, Barasic had another very solid performance at an International level. He is a very good player and is going to continue to be for many a year to come.

He’s not getting drawn to the ball as much and the space between him and the left hand sided centre half is no longer gapping......

Hope he can keep this up

I was hoping some of Barisic’s most aggressive critics would be in these threads delighted for him. But conspicuous by their absence, it seems they may actually be more irked by his upturn in form which seems a bit mental. But then with the level of venom aimed at him previously maybe I really shouldn’t be surprised.

It’s brilliant to see him doing so well, long may it continue.

Some seem to want every pass and every move to be an attacking, offensive, constructive one.
Till it goes wrong and it’s “he’s got to learn when to put it up the park” or “put it in row Z”.
Everybody is smartie pants after the event.

What other options do Croatia have at LB out of interest?

He seems to have made that spot his own recently.

What other options do Croatia have at LB out of interest?

He seems to have made that spot his own recently.

Well, Ivan Strinić was their regular left back but was diagnosed with a heart condition. He's recently been released by Milan and is currently without a club. At 32 it's hard to see him coming back at international level.
Dario Melnjak would now be Barišić's main rival but he's hardly setting the heather alight in Turkey at the moment and has only one cap although he makes most squads.
It does seem the left back position is Barišić's to lose right now.

Well, Ivan Strinić was their regular left back but was diagnosed with a heart condition. He's recently been released by Milan and is currently without a club. At 32 it's hard to see him coming back at international level.
Dario Melnjak would now be Barišić's main rival but he's hardly setting the heather alight in Turkey at the moment and has only one cap although he makes most squads.
It does seem the left back position is Barišić's to lose right now.
Thanks - appreciate the comprehensive answer :)

Can only add to his confidence & value

I was hoping some of Barisic’s most aggressive critics would be in these threads delighted for him. But conspicuous by their absence, it seems they may actually be more irked by his upturn in form which seems a bit mental. But then with the level of venom aimed at him previously maybe I really shouldn’t be surprised.

It’s brilliant to see him doing so well, long may it continue.

It's such a shame that posters/fans have such entrenched views on a player. Barasic has improved so much from last season IMO. I was a bit of a critic, but delighted to see him playing well and he's becoming a big part of our team.

Why?
When?
For Croatia tonight?
When the player(s) in front of him are available to take a pass.
When his coach wants him to?
Mate its an opinion am not saying he is a bad player just an opinion of mine that last night and in a a few of our games i feel he is too quick to just play the ball back to the centre back. Rather than look up and see whats infront a few times last night he just passed the ball straight back to the centre half.

Mate its an opinion am not saying he is a bad player just an opinion of mine that last night and in a a few of our games i feel he is too quick to just play the ball back to the centre back. Rather than look up and see whats infront a few times last night he just passed the ball straight back to the centre half.
Its true. The fact he has stopped doing it so much for us is part of why his form has changed, being braver on the ball & seeing the rewards of it.

Was probably a 6/10 last night. Didn’t really do anything wrong, but didn’t necessarily play well.

Watch it again and watch who is marking the guy who plays it back in for Bale to finish.

m8
he is not marking. He is shielding. To suggest the goal came from him not marking another persons man close enough is pants.

Seems some find it hard to give credit, just read another post saying he did not really play well. omfg. He did his fkin job. And done what was needed.

Remember the dark days in 2013 2014 odd when we had no international call ups to this.

How I love where we are right now.

Barasic, Morelos, Kamara, Jones, Airbo, Katic.

Remember the dark days in 2013 2014 odd when we had no international call ups to this.

How I love where we are right now.

Barasic, Morelos, Kamara, Jones, Airbo, Katic.

Just thinking the same, only ever watch football involving rangers players and I am being spoilt right now at all age groups.

m8
he is not marking. He is shielding. To suggest the goal came from him not marking another persons man close enough is pants.

Seems some find it hard to give credit, just read another post saying he did not really play well. omfg. He did his fkin job. And done what was needed.

How about you go back and read my original post on this.

Back