Barisic 2nd half

Barisic was great the first half and PSV noticed that and changed tactics second half, he then had little options which seems to cause his confidence to drop. He needs to sort that out.

Just honking. Didn't venture forward and every time he received the ball he wanted to go back towards his goal. Frustrating as he had a good first half but you wouldn't want him in the trenches.
Said to my son at the game, I'd love to have a left hand version of Tav at Left back.

Yes, Kent fell out the game a bit, that could be his fitness or they nullified him better. Matondo could have gave more pace against a tiring defence.
I really think they protect their left flank in the second half, but Kent, on the other side, looked gone by that point, so Matondo either side should have been an option. The one thing that gives me hope is that they are not great though the middle, nor on the left side of their defence; we have a chance next week.

In the second half we played as a three at the back, to allow Tav to get up the park. BB wasnt getting any options to pass and had to try and punt it at times or pass inside to Sands.

We were doing the same first half when playing out then Borna reverted to LB and Goldson and Sands shuffled back across when we reached the halfway line. PSV adjusted their tactics 2md half and we just kept trying to so the same thing

Borna had a more than decent game tonight but the groans from the stand whenever he passes the ball back or square does nothing to help him at all.
Would they rather he passed forward to nobody or always went for a worldy pass and continually lost possession?

Barisic was great the first half and PSV noticed that and changed tactics second half, he then had little options which seems to cause his confidence to drop. He needs to sort that out.
Never seen a player lose confidence and belief so quickly, literally within minutes.

I don't get this at all tonight.

He was assured throughout, defended aggressively, and made very few errors that I can recall.

They changed tactics to cut off our threat down the left, and Kent was nullified, so Borna had no outlet and no chance to overlap. I didn't see a guy who had lost confidence, PSV snuffed us out down his side, and most of their attacks came down the opposite side to BB.

Ding ding are we not allowed to question players when it's pretty apparent they aren't up for the fight?
There have been games when he's not looked very committed, but you can't accuse Barisic of that tonight. Borna had a tough time at points especially when they put de Jong on him, but he didn't shirk any tackles and kept looking for the ball.

I thought he did well & I’m a critic of his. I understand playing cautious against this level of opposition.

Against SPFL fodder & USG? No, but today was fine. Done a couple of good overlaps & recovery runs as well.

I thought he did well & I’m a critic of his. I understand playing cautious against this level of opposition.

Against SPFL fodder & USG? No, but today was fine. Done a couple of good overlaps & recovery runs as well.
Didn't see much overlaps in the second half when we were in possession but I may be wrong. Just find him incredibly frustrating as when he's in attacking positions his delivery can be deadly.

I don't get this at all tonight.

He was assured throughout, defended aggressively, and made very few errors that I can recall.

They changed tactics to cut off our threat down the left, and Kent was nullified, so Borna had no outlet and no chance to overlap. I didn't see a guy who had lost confidence, PSV snuffed us out down his side, and most of their attacks came down the opposite side to BB.

Kent did nothing of note 1st half either. That boy at RB had the measure of him. Don't think he got by him once in 90 minutes.

I thought we should have had Matondo on rather than Wright and swapped Kent to the other wing

They pressed us up the pitch 2nd half and he was found wanting. Goes from one extreme to another in the space of 5 seconds but he wasn't the worst player tonight.

They got a goal from a bagatelle, and we failed to defend our box at a corner, nothing to do with Barasic !!

I don't think he feels confident with sands beside him. Played more confident with helander of balogun in there.
Would do no harm to put him on the bench on Saturday and put the arm round his shoulder and give him a 1 to 1 boost. Might encourage him more. Bring the old barisic to the surface

Clearly told to sit in with the back 4. The options for him from deep were poor so he kept possession.

Time after time Sands put him under pressure with men closing him down.

He had a great first half, second half they really targeted him and he struggled. Speaking of being targeted, commentary were all over him big time but curiously weren’t as critical of Goldson who was crap and culpable at two potentially tie defining goals.

There was a 10 minute spell where you could see his confidence drain minute by minute. His fragile mentality always has me a bit nervous tbh. Thought he was fine for much of the game. He did zip one cracking pass forward which was great to see as his natural instinct is generally to pass backwards much of the time.

Kent did nothing of note 1st half either. That boy at RB had the measure of him. Don't think he got by him once in 90 minutes.

I thought we should have had Matondo on rather than Wright and swapped Kent to the other wing

I thought Kent had a great spell in the 1st half, and as usual, worked hard throughout.
He's crucial to our success in Europe.

I thought he had a decent game tonight although his second half performance didn’t match his first half but that could be said of a few players tonight. He made a mistake mid way through the second half and heard people say he would disappear but he didn’t tonight. Maybe give the guy some credit as wasn’t our biggest issue tonight.

I also thought that, a couple of incidents aside where he drifted well out of position, Borna had a good game.

Like in other recent games, our opponents seem to think that they can allow Barisic to have the ball and he won't be able to hurt them.
However, Borna DOES have the ability to make good passes and join up well in attacking play (especially with Kent).

In the first half, he was being given plenty of time and space on the ball.
Later in the second half, as soon as he was getting the ball, he was being closed down and having to pass the ball back or sideways.
imo it didn't help that a few times he was being given the ball when out on the touchline (well inside our own half), when he was clearly going to be closed down quickly -- Sands (who had a good game) actually made some such passes, when he himself had a better range of passing and a clerarer field ahead of him.

That's part of our "passing sideays" routine, just for the sake of it -- sometime Tav is the victim of it too.

I actually wish that Borna would learn to launch upfield cross balls (a la Goldson style) -- he's certainly skillful enough to make them.

A lot of unmerited criticism of Barisic tonight.
But that's hardly new.

I really think they protect their left flank in the second half, but Kent, on the other side, looked gone by that point, so Matondo either side should have been an option. The one thing that gives me hope is that they are not great though the middle, nor on the left side of their defence; we have a chance next week.
Agreed, when you look at it for all their nice play and passing they got the goals from two set pieces, one a bit lucky and the other taken really well. They are a good team, of course they are, but we can be too.

Who the %^*& is Barasic?

Borna had a decent game though. Far better than Tav, defensively

Agreed, when you look at it for all their nice play and passing they got the goals from two set pieces, one a bit lucky and the other taken really well. They are a good team, of course they are, but we can be too.
Somehow in that second half we lost our rhythm and made unforced mistakes. I don't know what's happened with Kamara, but I wouldn't mind seeing him back to his best sometime soon because the midfield doesn't seem right at the moment. We had a chance tonight, but we're still in this.

Been one of his biggest critics on here for a while but I thought he played well tonight. A couple of times he had no options and the ball ended up out the park but (for a change) his head didn't go down. Last two games he's been much better IMO.

Barisic had an excellent first half, performance dipped in the second.

Do op and others

A. Be positive and praise him for an excellent first half?
B. Be balanced and point out he was brilliant but performance dropped off?
C. Be negative and just focus on what he did wrong?

Now in his 5th season with us and op can’t spell his name correctly. Telling.

I thought Kent had a great spell in the 1st half, and as usual, worked hard throughout.
He's crucial to our success in Europe.

He did make some good runs but ultimately they were all ended by the right back.

He worked hard as usual.

Not a criticism of him, he was up against a really good player who has recently been playing for the Dutch national team.

I also thought that, a couple of incidents aside where he drifted well out of position, Borna had a good game.

Like in other recent games, our opponents seem to think that they can allow Barisic to have the ball and he won't be able to hurt them.
However, Borna DOES have the ability to make good passes and join up well in attacking play (especially with Kent).

In the first half, he was being given plenty of time and space on the ball.
Later in the second half, as soon as he was getting the ball, he was being closed down and having to pass the ball back or sideways.
imo it didn't help that a few times he was being given the ball when out on the touchline (well inside our own half), when he was clearly going to be closed down quickly -- Sands (who had a good game) actually made some such passes, when he himself had a better range of passing and a clerarer field ahead of him.

That's part of our "passing sideays" routine, just for the sake of it -- sometime Tav is the victim of it too.

I actually wish that Borna would learn to launch upfield cross balls (a la Goldson style) -- he's certainly skillful enough to make them.

A lot of unmerited criticism of Barisic tonight.
But that's hardly new.

As OP I can't disagree with a lot of this. I do wish Borna would lump it up the park sometimes - we did have some success with the long balls tonight and you can get some joy hitting Colak with a long ball as his hold up play is tidy.

I thought the first half Borna had his Ill fight the fukin lot of you head on. He never had that same aggression in the second, but the tactical changes done that.

Barisic had an excellent first half, performance dipped in the second.

Do op and others

A. Be positive and praise him for an excellent first half?
B. Be balanced and point out he was brilliant but performance dropped off?
C. Be negative and just focus on what he did wrong?

Now in his 5th season with us and op can’t spell his name correctly. Telling.
I've amended it since spelling is more than a concern to you than how our players perform. I just found the drop off in his second half performance quite something and can't solely be down to lack of movement ahead of him. I'll praise his performance 1st half - he was really good but he has an on/off switch that I can't recall the seeing in any other player and that's not a good thing long term.

Been one of his biggest critics on here for a while but I thought he played well tonight. A couple of times he had no options and the ball ended up out the park but (for a change) his head didn't go down. Last two games he's been much better IMO.
Who are you and what have you done with dt17

Just honking. Didn't venture forward and every time he received the ball he wanted to go back towards his goal. Frustrating as he had a good first half but you wouldn't want him in the trenches.

He was clearly instructed to stay back as a few times Lundstram and Sands reminded to hang back. Most likely to do with the fact their RW wasn’t tracking back and they used him as an out ball quite a few times on the counter.

Also who is he to pass to when no one is either moving or open for the pass? You would be slaughtering him for giving it away!!

I’ve watched the entire game back, I suggest you do. You have had an absolute nightmare. I can categorically confirm your opening post is absolute pish and miles off it.

you do know Barisic is number 31 yeah ?
Good for you. I was in the Club Deck and saw right down that stand side what I thought was a poor performance from him second half. I can categorically confirm I couldn't really care less what you think of my opinion.

He was clearly instructed to stay back as a few times Lundstram and Sands reminded to hang back. Most likely to do with the fact their RW wasn’t tracking back and they used him as an out ball quite a few times on the counter.

Also who is he to pass to when no one is either moving or open for the pass? You would be slaughtering him for giving it away!!
I'd rather he at least tried to go long on some occasions or aim something in Colak's direction.
We did find some success and space behind when switching the play. We were very hemmed in that 2nd half.

Back