Barisic 2nd half

He had a very good first half and i thought for large parts we dominated, second half we struggled to get going as they changed a few things and had us on the back foot, our wide men did not try and take their men on for fear of losing the ball so played it square or back, it’s what we do, we look for an intricate through ball to play to feet.

Against a team like that we would have been hurt more if we had our full backs flying forward and being caught out but we needed to get more of the ball and give them something else to think about, which is why i would have put Arfield on for Laurence with 20 to go and possibly Buff as well for Colak (who i thought was great last night but must have been shattered) with Matondo instead of Wright.

Make no mistake, they are a very good team but both their goals came from our errors and not from their open play, we need to really tighten up at back and everyone will need to be at the top of their game for the whole match to het a result next week.

I thought he showed plenty of fight.

I've been critical of him in the past and rightfully so but tonight i don't see any major issues with his performance at all.

If Goldson had actually bothered to mark their CB and jump for their ball i guarantee this thread wouldn't be on here.

I thought he had an excellent first half, then like the majority of the team, fell away in the second half when PSV stepped up the high press.

Worth noting that PSV were very good tactically in terms of closing off the passing options to Lundstram and Davis. So a lot of the time Borna was either being forced back to Sands or looking up for Kent who was being tightly marked as well.

Just honking. Didn't venture forward and every time he received the ball he wanted to go back towards his goal. Frustrating as he had a good first half but you wouldn't want him in the trenches.
Absolute nonsense to single out borna. PSV were very well organised and cut down the space 2nd half. Cut off the supply to tillman and Lawrence. Do you want him to give the ball away for the sake of it or keep possession even if that means going backwards

Just honking. Didn't venture forward and every time he received the ball he wanted to go back towards his goal. Frustrating as he had a good first half but you wouldn't want him in the trenches.
Complete and Utter Drivel.

One of the fundamentals of any team at any level is ball retention. If a player is unable to make a forward pass he recycles and starts again. This is what Barasic did second half due to the players ahead of him not showing for him as much as the first half.

If you don’t understand this basic concept perhaps it’s time you watched another sport. Or maybe you just fancied a bit of Borna Bashing.

He was targeted second half, and in fairness he tried his best. Kent was tiring in front of him and often had two men on him, Sands put him under pressure a few times.

Lundstram was covering so much ground that he wasn't always available to come short or track back and help him.

I thought he coped well.

Was happy with his performance in the first half, 2nd half I dont think you can just complain about Borna, felt like the full team were flat and lacking energy most of the 2nd half.

Wonder if Yilmaz will get a start on Sat at Hibs.

One of the fundamentals of any team at any level is ball retention. If a player is unable to make a forward pass he recycles and starts again. This is what Barasic did second half due to the players ahead of him not showing for him as much as the first half.

If you don’t understand this basic concept perhaps it’s time you watched another sport. Or maybe you just fancied a bit of Borna Bashing.
Compare him to Tav on the other flank who still seems willing to get forward and try drive us up the park even if there's not a lot happening in front of him. Borna either seems unable or unwilling to try the same.

Compare him to Tav on the other flank who still seems willing to get forward and try drive us up the park even if there's not a lot happening in front of him. Borna either seems unable or unwilling to try the same.
They are different types of player to be fair - even at his best Borna has never really ran at people and taken them on like Tav does. His main attribute is finding space for a cross through good lay offs and slick passing with Kent etc.

PSV defended the right hand side very well last night and his options were limited.

Sands and Barisic get the ball (usually under pressure)
Look up to play out either going short or over the top.
You have Kent blowing our his arse for 40 mins stood on the half way line not making any moves.
You have Colak running in the opposite direction you'd want him to be
You have Tilman playing musical statues.

Not really sure what you want them to do at that stage other than try to retain possession by coming back?
Barisic ended up having 2 men against him fairly regularly

He was one of our best players over the 90 mins, I'd probably say only Sands and Davis were better

Typical FF. On the one hand we're saying how fantastic their player is - and on the other we're saying our player, the one trying to keep their fantastic player under control....is murder!

Borna's attacking game depends on players further up the park actually showing for the ball or at least creating space for him. If that doesn't happen he needs to play square or backwards.

Defensively he's usually trying to accommodate covering the full-back who's breezed past Kent, and his own man.

This thread is actually mental.

Barisic was outstanding first half, brilliant performance.

Second half, he kept being given the ball when there were absolutely no out balls for him. Not sure what the OP was expecting him to be able to do.
nobody was outstanding for us at any point. He was playing well first half then got worse with each passing minute second half.

Nowhere near our worst defender tonight yet there is a thread slating him and not one on Goldson. It’s like Goldson is untouchable and can’t be criticised, he causes us so many goals and has done since he’s been with us. I was disappointed we gave him a new contract as felt we could have gotten better, But what do we get a thread on Borna again.
You could always start a thread on Goldson. Many people on the match thread and this thread have criticised Goldson and pointed out he was worse than Borna. So it is simply not true he cannot be criticised.

I was rewatching the game last night when reading this thread. It was in to the second half, I am pretty sure the first time Barisic passed the ball backwards in the second half was the 85th minute. I think he gave the ball away or put it out aimlessly 3 times the entire match.

Some folk just don’t get football these days, it’s about possession. it was as if our full back was getting megged, stepping out leaving their wide man one on one with the keeper.

The weekly Borna bashing thread. He did well, certainly one of our better performers overall. He doesn't hide from taking the ball. And I also think at times he is instructed to be more conservative, we can't have both full backs high at the same time. Do people honestly think he'd be playing these games if GvB's message to him was to get forward / pass forward and he was consistently doing the opposite?

I actually think Borna has suffered from Kamara not playing as much in the deeper midfield role (he was great at sliding across to cover both full backs) and so Barisic is naturally more cautious.

I also think Kent's lack of form isn't helping him plus the fact we still seem a bit disjointed middle to front especially in linking the no. 10s into play - there often isn't an option to pass into their feet / in space and if Kent is marked, he has to pass back / sideways.

Could Borna play better? Yes absolutely. Was he the worst? Far from it and he was more than capable last night

Not massive on what it is he presents to other teams.

He is slow, pretty predictable and just looking to get himself to bang a cross over, it ends up a pretty dated style of football.

Sooner we can get Yilmaz up and running the better to offer more variety.

Continual weak link for me. Borna aside, no flash in the pan moments can make up for inconsistent performance at Rangers. If it were, we’d still have Vladimir Weiss, Harry Forrester and Sheyi Ojo bouncing about. We need consistency & we especially need it from 29 year old internationals like BB. The mentality & application differences between him and Tav are lightyears in distance.

Doing as instructed by the manager. No more, no less. Borna can’t do right for doing wrong and it appears to be fashionable to get on his back.
Has always been thus going back years.
People start to moan at/ criticise certain players and it becomes fashionable.
Examples being windass, Adam, etc

Yeh we a team where nearly all our midfielders are neat and tidy but will rarely stretch the game with forward runs. Jack, lundstrum , kamara and Davis are all very good players but are very safe in their play. Barisic is the same. Really good player but he isn’t getting up and down the park very often within a game.

Borna received the ball from Sands/Goldson, yards of space in front of him to bring the ball forward, instead he looks to his side and returns it to whoever passed it to him in the first place.

Back