Barisic interview in Croatian newspaper

Bonnyloyal

Yes, the Rangers won the title again after 2011, and in the meantime they literally sank to the bottom. They went bankrupt, then played in the fourth division, but then returned to the elite and won the fastest title in the last 118 years in Scotland. Namely, no one in Scotland has theoretically won the title so early (as early as March 7), since Hibernian in the 1902/03 season !?

- Our results confirm the brutal domination, so we did not lose a single game in 32 rounds, we conceded only nine goals in that period. Yes, the season is not over yet, we still have to play in the European League, and the Federation has decided to activate the Cup, although it was originally postponed. We won the title early, but we have a lot of challenges ahead of us until the end of the season - says Borna Barišić, and continues:

- We already started celebrating on Saturday, with the victory over St. We practically won the title with Mirren, if we had lost everything by the end of the championship, and Celtic had won everything, we would have been champions because of the goal difference. But then Sunday brought us the official confirmation, then there was a big celebration with us players, but also all Rangers fans.

Borna Barišić spoke in his breath ...

- We all watched that Sunday's match between Dundee United and Celtic together in one restaurant, and when that match ended 0-0, a big celebration started. Here, even now my voice is not the best, that it was celebrated with alcohol, everything was allowed. Coach Steven Gerrard gave us a day off on Monday, but I went to train, but the continuation of the European League is already expected on Thursday. And the training helped me come to my senses a bit, haha.

Rangers fans, despite the classic ‘lockdown’, flooded the streets of Glasgow and celebrated for them one of their favorite titles. And this was the Rangers' 55th title in history ...

- I can't describe to you the commitment of the fans to our club, it's indescribable. These people have been waiting for the title for ten years, there is a madhouse in Glasgow today. And it will last a long time. Despite numerous bans, fans celebrated and celebrated all over the city long into the night. It means a lot to them, really the club hit rock bottom ten years ago, and now we are the best in Scotland again.

What is the situation with the crown in Scotland?

- And it's not bad, the numbers of infected people are constantly falling, but the 'lockdown' has been going on here for six or seven months. As it was in the most difficult moments in Croatia, so it has been here from the very beginning. It was not easy for me to be separated from my family, but I dedicated everything to this goal, winning the title of champion. And for a year I have been living on the training-home-game route, it is not easy, but it has paid off. We all had that goal together, we managed to meet it.

OK, but who knows what a party in Glasgow would be like if 'everything was normal' ...

- Well, that's my only minus this season. Uh, what a season we've had. We did a perfect year, we won the title the fastest after 118 years, but we didn't have the support of our fans at the stadium. And anyone who has ever been to Ibrox knows how much they mean to the Rangers. Everything would have been much nicer if we had worked with them this time until the title, if we had them with us in all the matches.

You are one of the favorites of many Rangers fans across Scotland ...

- I really have a great relationship with the fans, social networks are full of many of their congratulations. But you can't answer all those messages, there's no way. And yesterday all day friends from Scotland called me, everyone was celebrating this title at home, drinking beers and taking pictures. I say, this celebration will last a long time. Even my friends from Croatia were not aware of the size of the Rangers until they arrived here in Glasgow. And then everything was clear to them, then they themselves felt the way the fans live and breathe with this club.

What is the situation in Scotland today, are all Rangers fans still Protestants and Celtic supporters Catholics?

- Yes, it is generally so among the fans, but there are always exceptions. We players don’t have any faith issues, in fact. Here, I cross myself before the game, no one has ever blamed me for that, and the fans really support me. It is important to them that you do your best for that coat of arms and the jersey you wear, and what religion you are, what kind of hairstyle you wear ... it doesn't matter to them. Just do your best on the field and they will adore you.

And what kind of coach is the legendary Steven Gerrard ?
- It's hard for me to talk about him, especially while he's still a coach. And I can talk so much about him and even write a book. It’s amazing to me how he approaches everything, I’ve never experienced anyone play football so much. And with all that, he has a winning mentality, it’s such a circuit in his head, which he passed on to the whole team with his staff. Kudos to him, he deserved this title.
The Rangers have two Croats, with you there is also Nikola Katic, who did not play this season due to injury ...
- Unfortunately not, but we hear from each other regularly. He had knee surgery, he also had incidental problems in that rehabilitation, but he is recovering well and he is one of us. He was not at this spontaneous celebration, but he will be with us when we finally get that Scottish Champions Trophy.
You celebrated this weekend, and on Thursday the continuation of the European League is waiting for you ...
- In Europe, our goal was to pass the group stage, and then we were even better than Antwerp, we won it in both games. It is important for us to be good in Europe, to show everyone that these results from Scotland are not a coincidence. Now we have duels with Slavia Prague, they are a great team, but we could have gone worse, to get Manchester United or Tottenham. We are a good team, we can do a lot more, and we have shown that in the last two years in matches against Benfica, Galatasaray, Porto, Young Boys ...
This is your second title in your career, you also have one with Dinamo ...
- Yes, I also write the title of Croatian champion from the 2015/16 season, but then I made only one appearance for Dinamo. Officially, I have two titles, but personally I look like this is my first real title in history. I played there all season, I was an important player, I celebrated the title with my teammates, everything is much different.
National team? In Croatia, the biggest problem used to be the left flank, with you now there are Melnjak and Bradarić, and Sosa and Guardiol are coming ...
- Looks like the left hip is no longer a problem, haha. I am glad that we now have a good situation around that position, it is great for Croatian football.
And how do you view the fight between Dinamo and Osijek for the title?
- I follow the HNL as much as I can, we play every three days, so I look at Osijek as much as I can. The good thing is that the championship is much more interesting than in previous years, Dinamo got someone who threatens him, who does not let him breathe - Barišić concluded.

And what kind of coach is the legendary Steven Gerrard ?
- It's hard for me to talk about him, especially while he's still a coach. And I can talk so much about him and even write a book. It’s amazing to me how he approaches everything, I’ve never experienced anyone play football so much. And with all that, he has a winning mentality, it’s such a circuit in his head, which he passed on to the whole team with his staff. Kudos to him, he deserved this title.
Must be amazing to be a player under him.

loved seeing guys like Borna and Kent
usually so stoic and focussed, absolutely losing it at the celebrations

great player, great professional

I thought he spelled things out really well. I have massive respect for the players and staff who have given up so much this year. Do you hear them bleating about the celebrations? How much have they had to sacrifice on a personal level vs those commenting now?

Yes, the season is not over yet, we still have to play in the European League, and the Federation has decided to activate the Cup, although it was originally postponed. We won the title early, but we have a lot of challenges ahead of us until the end of the season - says Borna Barišić

brilliant comments from BB

The way he has transformed himself on and off the pitch is a testament to his character. His interview after the European game v Antwerp was absolutely outstanding. He completely gets what we are all about and has definitely become an underrated “captain” in the side.

Here, I cross myself before the game, no one has ever blamed me for that, and the fans really support me. It is important to them that you do your best for that coat of arms and the jersey you wear, and what religion you are, what kind of hairstyle you wear ... it doesn't matter to them. Just do your best on the field and they will adore you.
The truth is out there!!
Well said Borna, you are one of us, nothing else matters, religion or colour.

Great interview, thanks for sharing OP.

We need to keep doing our shopping in Croatia, that's for sure.

Love this so much, one of the best interviews of the season.

Also surprised there seems to be a word in Croatian that directly translates to "kudos"!

One of my favourite players - not many come back from the criticism and challenges he had, especially at a club like Rangers. It speaks for his mentality and strength that he has gone on to become one of our best players.

Great interview

I think there is something quite ironic that happens here.

The Croats have quite the reputation of being ultra RCs which is recognised by their behaviour in WW2.

In my life as some sort of Brigton Derry Boy, who grew up with Rangers as a Protestant only club, how have we somehow evolved into a support that has idolised Croats like Prso, Jelavic, Katic and now Borna?

The answer is simple. Maybe the religious bigotry and hatred begins and ends in the east end of the city?

I absolutely love Barisic, what a player he has turned out to be for us. And to think there was a point where it looked like he might not have had a future with us after a little patchy spell. The lad is an absolute warrior and the best left back in the league by a mile. It actually makes me laugh at how much the mentally challengeds know %^*& all about football when they though Laxalt was a better player than Barisic hahaha

Fantastic words .
From the quote a couple of years ago, " you'll have to ask borna if he's injured" to this guy squaring up to the goalie the other week in the Europa League. What a transformation. Total legend.

Just brilliant words

I think there is something quite ironic that happens here.

The Croats have quite the reputation of being ultra RCs which is recognised by their behaviour in WW2.

In my life as some sort of Brigton Derry Boy, who grew up with Rangers as a Protestant only club, how have we somehow evolved into a support that has idolised Croats like Prso, Jelavic, Katic and now Borna?

The answer is simple. Maybe the religious bigotry and hatred begins and ends in the east end of the city?
It starts with the sectarian schools

I think we came close to losing Borna as things just didnt seem to panning out for him but thankfully he toughed it out and we are reaping the rewards now

I absolutely love BB

It will be a sad day when he leaves for big money but until then we have to enjoy having him here.

He speaks so well about the club and the fans too.

Would love him to score a free kick against the peasants before the season is up

Back