Barisic

Regarding the type of crosses he was putting in, anybody maybe think the coaching staff may have identified that as a weakness of USG and instructed him to do that?

Or is that too logical?

First half - took the easy pass every time hence the crowd groans (albeit the crowd overreacted)

Second half - lot more positive on the ball and looked to play it forward far more into Kent and Lawrence.

I suspect he’ll be starting next week again unless Yilmaz plays on Saturday and has a superb game

Regarding the type of crosses he was putting in, anybody maybe think the coaching staff may have identified that as a weakness of USG and instructed him to do that?

Or is that too logical?

He does the same every game ffs. Let's just call it as it is. He's a fullback who's scared to drive forward and his first thought is to turn back and give the ball to someone else. Occasionally he'll fling random crosses into the box from 40-50 yards away. More hit and hope than anything else.

If you're happy with that then crack on.

He does the same every game ffs. Let's just call it as it is. He's a fullback who's scared to drive forward and his first thought is to turn back and give the ball to someone else. Occasionally he'll fling random crosses into the box from 40-50 yards away. More hit and hope than anything else.

He doesn't do that every game.

Thought he was excellent 2nd half. His crossing always makes the difference. Suspect he’ll be our number 1 this year.

Got heavy stick from many on here last week, one being myself and ended up with a sin bin because of it.

Again, at half time, the match thread was calling for Borna to be taken off.

Thought he played well tonight, grew into the game in the second half and ended up with 2 assists, if you want to count the cross for the penalty.

Just wish his confidence is always there, because what an impact he can make.
he is far far too negative, the first half especially, how many times did he cut back inside. Second half he was better.

I thought first half the options for him to pass into feet were poor therefor he played back or inside to keep possession.

The management obviously wanted him to be stringent in his position and not overlap first half hence crossing from deep.

2nd half kent and lawrence played better and were more involved which gave Borna more options.

Wasn't Brilliant but was the best of our back 4. Borna is an easy target at times.

Was everyone watching the same game tonight?

Mr safety yet again. Every ball he received either went inside or back. Even towards the end he done his usual thing of backing off the winger and giving them about 20 yards on him.

He needs replaced pronto.
Unless he was going to drive into 2 or 3 players there was not much he could do in fairness

Kent didn't look fit but they were worried about him and were doubling up on Kent and with no diagonal runners to play the ball behind there literally was no one to hit ball to.

Arfield made some good runs that weren't picked up but through middle but they would have been hopeful balls ........

At least his easy passes found a man. The rest of the back line all went for east passes on several occasions and gave it straight the feet of an opponent. Far more infuriating.

Unless he was going to drive into 2 or 3 players there was not much he could do in fairness

Kent didn't look fit but they were worried about him and were doubling up on Kent and with no diagonal runners to play the ball behind there literally was no one to hit ball to.

Arfield made some good runs that weren't picked up but through middle but they would have been hopeful balls ........

The poster dt17 is clueless. Or just has a hatred for the guy and will just slaughter him regardless. Then when you make a point he will put the haha emoji/like button.

Watching the match on tv is completely different from being at the game.

Borna played well and at times sensibly played safe. If you watch Andy Robertson , he will also very often make the safe inside or back pass. The runs that he was 'supposed' to do would have been running into 3 or 4 opposition players with only Kent to pass to who was well covered. Yes he could have been a little more attacking in the first half but all in all he had a solid game and a fantastic cross for the winning goal. He was the right choice last night. I hope last night gives him confidence and he pushes on.

Need to overlap more as all his crosses where from deep funnily that wont do in Scotland but it payed off last night !
Will get criticized for playing it safe but don't think he missed many clear / obvious passes.

he is far far too negative, the first half especially, how many times did he cut back inside. Second half he was better.

Maybe 2nd half he was better as there was more space to attack?

I dont get how folk can watch a game for years and not understand how opponents tactics influence how we play.

There was virtually zero space for him to attack last night in the first half due to how compact USG were defensively. 2nd half they were pressing us a bit more and leaving more space for us to take opportunities to attack them.

Got heavy stick from many on here last week, one being myself and ended up with a sin bin because of it.

Thought he played well tonight, grew into the game in the second half and ended up with 2 assists, if you want to count the cross for the penalty.

That cross was unreal but not so Tillman for that leap too.

As you say he grew into the game.i don't think I've ever seen player who's confidence levels can change (both up and down) as quickly as his.

The poster dt17 is clueless. Or just has a hatred for the guy and will just slaughter him regardless. Then when you make a point he will put the haha emoji/like button.

Watching the match on tv is completely different from being at the game.

Aye I'm clueless. How many times do you want to announce you were at the game last night, you want a wee pat on the back or what?

Maybe 2nd half he was better as there was more space to attack?

I dont get how folk can watch a game for years and not understand how opponents tactics influence how we play.

There was virtually zero space for him to attack last night in the first half due to how compact USG were defensively. 2nd half they were pressing us a bit more and leaving more space for us to take opportunities to attack them.

Borna had acres of space the majority of the time he got on the ball. The issue with him is that his first instinct isn't to be positive, it's to play safe. Tav on the other hand is the complete opposite, his first thought is to drive forward.

Perhaps he is under instructions from the manager not to bomb forward?

Personally I don’t think he’s fully recovered from the injury he had that kept him out the Euros or it has somehow permanently restricted him in some way.

Regardless, he played well tonight but now McGregor is out the team the usual suspects need someone to vent their mouth foaming fury at.

Perhaps. However, we have signed a very attacking left back, so if the plan is for only 1 fullback to get forward, it seems a but arrange to spend a big chunk of our budget in a forward thinking left back.

I just don't think Borna has the confidence or pace these days to be able to get up and down the park the way he did previously.

Aye I'm clueless. How many times do you want to announce you were at the game last night, you want a wee pat on the back or what?

Borna had acres of space the majority of the time he got on the ball. The issue with him is that his first instinct isn't to be positive, it's to play safe. Tav on the other hand is the complete opposite, his first thought is to drive forward.

He had acres of space, until a point then he would be reaching their low block.

Tav did nothing in the first half either due to this.

One advantage of RTV being shite and constantly buffering last night was it gave plenty of freeze frame shots of both teams shape. There's wasn't tonnes of space for Borna to be running into.

He had acres of space, until a point then he would be reaching their low block.

Tav did nothing in the first half either due to this.

One advantage of RTV being shite and constantly buffering last night was it gave plenty of freeze frame shots of both teams shape. There's wasn't tonnes of space for Borna to be running into.

He had space to drive into. They were allowing him space.

Some people won't criticise him, fine. But if we want to kick on as a team then we need both fullbacks who are capable of getting forward and taking on opponents.

You mention their low block. Really hard to play against, but made even harder when everything is played in front of them. Driving into space opens up other spaces.

Best defender in the team lastnight , plus two assists

Proved to be a real tactical blunder for USG to double / triple deep on left and leave him free

Is there a single thing about Rangers you like? All you do is complain about everyone and criticise players.

He was playing left side of a three when the. Moved and the width of Kent made him isolated.

Played well and I assume folk were expecting a bombing up and down a la Gerrard. Very different set up.

BB didn’t pass back/sidewards anymore than Sands, Lundstram, Goldson, Tav last night in the first half but some fans were moaning and groaning everytime he did and not the others. The same fans will say he looks a shell of the player he was though despite them getting on his back every time he gets the ball. There was literally no space to drive forward like everyone’s suggested, Kent tried to take people on which is his actual job and he was getting crowded out ffs!

The UB continue to sing his name, everyone else should’ve been considering his contribution to us going through last night.

Some players just can't win regardless of what they do. Part of a defence which kept a clean sheet and got 2 assists...yet people still complain about his performance! If he does that in every game he plays I'll be happy.

This was their shape for the majority of the 1st half.

What space are any of our players supposed to be running into?

Is there a single thing about Rangers you like? All you do is complain about everyone and criticise players.

Glad you follow my posts, nice to have fans.

"Complain about everyone" - by that you mean McGregor and Barisic? Too right. I want the club to progress and with they two, we won't.

This was their shape for the majority of the 1st half.

What space are any of our players supposed to be running into?

Again, nobody is saying every ball has to go forward. But even when he received the ball from McLaughlin his first thought was always "how do I get rid of the ball". That's the issue with Barisic and not just last night.

But since you posted a picture. Kent is available there, as is Colak. Arfield was also getting beyond at times. It's about having the confidence to give the ball to players in tight areas to open up space elsewhere.

He was alright.

Still frustrates the life out of me when he has space to run in to and he just turns back and plays it safe.

I get it's a confidence thing but he hinders our play a lot of the time now.

Defensively he was better though thankfully.

The issue with Barisic last night was that even with kent getting doubled out wide, there were still plenty of passing options available to him rather than constantly going backwards to sands.

Arfield made numerous runs in behind that he just didn’t want to try and play the ball over the top to, either because he didn’t think he could do the pass or he was scared to try it with the crowd on his back. As well as arfield, lundstram, Lawrence and colak were all options he could have passed to as well. As I said last night I can’t be bothered with the confidence crisis he goes through every game, either get over it or replace him with yilmaz.

Again, nobody is saying every ball has to go forward. But even when he received the ball from McLaughlin his first thought was always "how do I get rid of the ball". That's the issue with Barisic and not just last night.

But since you posted a picture. Kent is available there, as is Colak. Arfield was also getting beyond at times. It's about having the confidence to give the ball to players in tight areas to open up space elsewhere.

Kents available for a sideways pass and Arfield is available for a 40 yard lofted cross should he make the run

Our support don't half need a whipping boy, thought it may have been Barisic this year now that Aribo is away.
After every European game last year bit Joe had "boots on wrong feet" "towing a caravan" blah blah..

He was far from great last night, not terrible or useless or needing chased, just not great but played a big part on us edging closer to the CL.

From memory of the game last night McLaughlin, Goldson, Tav, Sands, Lundstrum, Kent, Tillman and Lawrence all, at some point, played passes directly to an opposition player.

If Borna had done that the crowd would be going absolutely mental at him.

He has become a scapegoat for a large part of the support and yet continually he proves he is a threat with his delivery.

Is he the perfect full back? no.. but he doesnt deserve the stick he gets.

Perhaps he is under instructions from the manager not to bomb forward?

Personally I don’t think he’s fully recovered from the injury he had that kept him out the Euros or it has somehow permanently restricted him in some way.

Regardless, he played well tonight but now McGregor is out the team the usual suspects need someone to vent their mouth foaming fury at.
If he’s not recovered from it by now, I’d say there’s a very good chance that it’s not going to get any better.

There could be surgery to fix it, but some athletes choose not to have it for fear it could make it worse, especially if been told it’s not going to get worse and you can still train.

For 112 minutes of this tie he wasn't great - at all , in the first leg he was a complete shambles

The idea of him coming on for 30 minutes now and then for a settled Yilmaz should be great, but he could come on and literally be anything, that is true of most players but the level of sugar or sh*t with Borna looks like it would be hell of a hard to manage

First half there were definite grumbles whenever he turned back inside. Wasn’t always his fault but it’s also not right to say he never had a pass on. He had Lawrence several times and chose not to play it.

Second half was like a new player.
I would love to know what the change is in the second half, whatever it is, do it pre match!

I would still sell him , for every half decent games theres 4-5 terrible performance.

Yep, you just can't rely on him because you have no idea what version of Borna is going to turn up.

I certainly wouldn't trust him in a game against Celtic or in the tough European ties.

1st half I thought he was absolute dugmeat and should pack in playing football & take up rugby as everything was going sideways and backwards from him.
2nd half he was far better although the one near the end where he was backing off the winger did my nut in.
Looked more confident 2nd half and hopefully he takes a lot of belief from that showing and kicks on again.

2nd half I thought Goldson was a bombscare at times - like a flashback to some of the displays the season before we won 55 where he always seemed to have one absolute f**kup in him in every game

Towards the end he gave the winger a 20 yard run at him and failed to stop the cross into the box. Something we've seen with Barisic far too often in his Rangers career.

I don't hate the guy at all, he's just not good enough for us going forward. The drop in quality between having Bassey and having Barisic is frightening.

If you're happy with a Rangers player who constantly plays within himself or retreats into his shell if the crowd get a bit agitated then fair play, not for me though.
Part of a team that was a penalty shoot out away from equalling our greatest ever achievement and season before part of a team that broke defensive records and one of our highest ever points totals but aye not good enough.

Folk getting on his back at the game are clowns. The guy is clearly short on confidence and that’s why he’s passing it square or back. Shouting abuse at him has the opposite effect when we’re supposed to “support” the players.

Thought he was fine last night. Decent enough defensively and a bit more attacking intent second half.

Back