Barisic

Do you not think his reaction was over the top for someone who was on his feet and walking off a minute later.

For a bloke who has had injury troubles since he arrived at the club. In a word, no. If you've played football or any contact sport for that matter and you receive an impact injury, you are gonna react in frustration. His reaction at the time was worrying and in hindsight was an overreaction but in that moment maybe Borna maybe thought his body had failed him once again.

Biggest thing for footballers who suffer a series of or a sustained period of injury woes is overcoming the mental barrier of not overreacting to every slight tweak or pain you feel during your recovery. Physically you might be fit but mentally you don't quite trust your body yet. Last thing Borna needs is everyone blowing up about a flippant comment made by the gaffer after a meaningless friendly match that we played as part of a contractual deal to sign a player.

If he’s scunnered with him then why keep him? That’s really not what I would have expected from the gaffer and I suspect he might reflect that he should have kept that in house and not gone public.

Like Kent a few guys good do with watching Ryan get kicked and straight back up he’s as hard a winger as I’ve seen
He just seems to bounce back up onto his feet. He's not the most physical looking so I was really surprised by how well he copes up here.

Gerrard is clearly pissed Off anyone trying to convince themselves otherwise is burying their head in the sand.

gerrard obviously thinks barisic is soft as shit and I’d tend to agree.

Glad that you and Gerrard have such a rapport and you are currently at liberty to share it with us.

He is clearly pissed off, but his reasons and conclusions for being pissed off are his own. Do us all a favour and don't be wise in your own opinion. You are speculating just as much as everybody else.

For a bloke who has had injury troubles since he arrived at the club. In a word, no. If you've played football or any contact sport for that matter and you receive an impact injury, you are gonna react in frustration. His reaction at the time was worrying and in hindsight was an overreaction but in that moment maybe Borna maybe thought his body had failed him once again.

Biggest thing for footballers who suffer a series of or a sustained period of injury woes is overcoming the mental barrier of not overreacting to every slight tweak or pain you feel during your recovery. Physically you might be fit but mentally you don't quite trust your body yet. Last thing Borna needs is everyone blowing up about a flippant comment made by the gaffer after a meaningless friendly match that we played as part of a contractual deal to sign a player.
Don't bring that common sense in here...!

Just watched Gerrards comments and they are nowhere near as severe as suggested on here. Unless you are a mind reader you can't be certain what's going on at all.

As for Borna he's had a crappy start to his career here. Any knock right now will be a big deal to him and yes he probably over reacted with the slapping the ground but can anyone on here say they've never reacted like that when they have hurt themselves?

The Scottish game is physical, for some it takes time to get used to. It's not about being 'soft', it's about adjusting mentally and physically to it and there's no switch you can flick, it happens with game time.

This slapping the ground is another trend with modern football players that I don't understand. Pointing 2 fingers to the sky is another one. Suppose its a trendy thing to do

Covering hands with mouth when talking too as if they are discussing top secret security measures.

Can tell Gerrard seemed a bit exasperated when asked about Barisic and what happened to him when he went down "hitting the ground 55 times"

Just looks a bit scunnered. A slight concern about how fragile he has been and I am one of Bornas biggest supporters

Aye looked like SG was annoyed with the dramatics

Exactly that's why i'm saying he plays till Barisic earns the jersey.

Which I would assume was always the case anyway. Given that the first half team looked to be the first choice one, barring the inclusion of Flanagan and Foderingham being there instead of Goldson and McGregor. Halliday has earned the spot until Gerrard deems otherwise.

Barišić isn't fully fit yet after all.

When he played against us at Osijek he was bandaged up and looked like a warrior. Gerrard must have thought he was getting a player who'd put his body on the line for us. Maybe that's what is annoying him most.

That bandage was applied because his barber hurt his hair ffs.....Man-Up Borna!

Did find it odd when Gerrard said last week he needs to be more robust, as injuries happen, but clearly the gaffer thinks he's a bit of a drama queen. Hopefully Borna takes the hint cos he's a cracking player I think
I would have thought it was a really serious injury the way he was hitting the grass like he had broken or fractured something, perhaps his pain threshold is different, but if not the dramatics should be toned down a bit, we are not used this type of stuff and it's more in line with the paedohiders than us.

Just watched it. He seems frustrated with him.

Dunno what's more ridiculous though, the ones claiming that there was absolutely nothing in his comments or the ones saying Borna might not be in the next squad or that Gerrard has lost patience with him.

Are we not reading an awful lot into nothing?
The player maybe thought he had received a worse injury than it turned out to be.
Sometimes pain can be quite severe to begin with and quickly dissipates.
Perhaps Borna initially believed he had aggravated something badly and was reacting in total frustration.

As long as the lad is okay, I can't seem fussed.

A lot of complete weirdos on here who actually take some strange satisfaction from negativity and berating our own, so much so they’re chomping at the bit to tear down players, particularly if they’re new. Seems to be particularly prominent in the west of Scotland, it’s utterly tragic though.

There’s some amount of drama queens on tonight. Here’s a thought- maybe Gerrard was pissed off and frustrated at the thought of Barisic actually being injured rather than pissed off at him for going down too easily, feigning injury or being a hypochondriac. I just watched the incident back again, after all the talk of him overreacting.....he hits the ground with his hand once:)

There’s some amount of drama queens on tonight. Here’s a thought- maybe Gerrard was pissed off and frustrated at the thought of Barisic actually being injured rather than pissed off at him for going down too easily, feigning injury or being a hypochondriac. I just watched the incident back again, after all the talk of him overreacting.....he hits the ground with his hand once:)

Wouldn't be Follow Follow without a desire to add 2+2 and somehow end up with 3. Because Gerrard said to the press last week that both Grezda and Barišić need to toughen up or something similar. That somehow means Gerrard is angry at both and it's irretrievable and we have wasted money on the pair of them.

Just the usual Follow Follow melodrama. If we don't have any reason to be worried, we'll make something up or manufacture something.

Wouldn't be Follow Follow without a desire to add 2+2 and somehow end up with 3. Because Gerrard said to the press last week that both Grezda and Barišić need to toughen up or something similar. That somehow means Gerrard is angry at both and it's irretrievable and we have wasted money on the pair of them.

Just the usual Follow Follow melodrama. If we don't have any reason to be worried, we'll make something up or manufacture something.

I think his comments onBarisic after the game today coupled with him saying he needs to toughen up are definitely a bit of a warning to him to do exactly that.

Yea, I remember the robust comment. It's strange as he was club captain at Osijek, so you'd think he'd be a bit tougher. Needs to shave his head again and man up
I think our knowledge of Croatian players was built on Dado and the warrior mentality to go with technique, Katic certainly would run through a wall for you not sure what the story is. Has all the attributes to be a international star and massive player for us, hope he listens to the warnings from a genuine warrior with a winning mentality

I think his comments onBarisic after the game today coupled with him saying he needs to toughen up are definitely a bit of a warning to him to do exactly that.

He says both need to become more robust. Does not mean he is warning them. He's simply stating a fact. Nice to see a fair few of you on here slurped down the Daily Record 'cool-aid' and read the comments with a sensationalist slant in mind.

He is probably frustrated but Gerrard no doubt has the sense to realise that it is not just a switch that the pair of them can flick on at will. It's gonna take time and effort to adjust/adapt.

Said before that he hasn’t got the heart to player for Rangers.
Really hope I’m wrong however Uncle Albert and ICA 86 says I was talking shite.
I would rather trust my judgement

Left back belongs to Andy Halliday now. It's up to BB To take it from him. Let's see how much he wants it. Watching that interview it tells me the manager thinks he is very soft.

Maybe Gerrards just frustrated that he has a croatian international quality left back in his squad and he cant get a run of games out of him

Gold medal required.
Mentalist post

To be honest, the gaffer had a couple of dives in his playing career that stick out in the mind is more what I think he is referring to.

And as concerned as I am when Barisic goes down thumping the ground, Andy Halliday does the exact same thing 3 times a game then runs it off in 30 seconds, just how some players process a knock.

He'll toughen up and be a great asset for us I'm hoping but if he doesn't fancy adapting I'm sure he'll have a decent career in a less physical league.

Gerrard is clearly pissed Off anyone trying to convince themselves otherwise is burying their head in the sand.

gerrard obviously thinks barisic is soft as shit and I’d tend to agree.

Anyone who thinks Gerrard being pissed off in an interview, then implies that he thinks BB is soft as shit, should voluntarily stick their head in the sand and leave it there.

Gerrard doesn’t strike you as one to put up with theatrics. When Borna went down thumping the ground me and a few others around me had our head in our hands thinking ‘no way, not again’.

Then he walks off seemingly uninjured. If he’s unscathed I suppose you could see why the gaffer is pissed off with the pitch thumping.

Last edited:
No I'm not. Are we not allowed to say he dived in his career because he's our manager?
He did dive yes. To gain an advantage however i dont recall him ever shirking a tackle. He was a beast of a midfielder in his prime who dragged a poor liverpool team to win the CL, through sheer heart and will.So to suggest he was or is some pussy is just wrong

He did dive yes. To gain an advantage however i dont recall him ever shirking a tackle. He was a beast of a midfielder in his prime who dragged a poor liverpool team to win the CL, through sheer heart and will.So to suggest he was or is some pussy is just wrong

I didn't suggest he was a pussy. I replied to a poster who said he was hard as nails. He was, to a certain extent, but hard as nails players don't dive in my books.

That tells you how often SG thinks of 55 !!

Clearly irritated with Barisic but I doubt it's a big deal and expect he'll be on the bench next game.

He says both need to become more robust. Does not mean he is warning them. He's simply stating a fact. Nice to see a fair few of you on here slurped down the Daily Record 'cool-aid' and read the comments with a sensationalist slant in mind.

He is probably frustrated but Gerrard no doubt has the sense to realise that it is not just a switch that the pair of them can flick on at will. It's gonna take time and effort to adjust/adapt.

Don’t read the Daily Record and only came on here after watching the manager’s interview post match on RTV. His “55 times” comment was clearly him stating that he felt Borna was exaggerating today. There’s no other way to take the comment.

I would say the “you’d have to as Borna” comment is more a give away that he’s not happy with him, than the 55 times but.

Tbf he was full of praise for him after the St Johnstone game when he picked up last injury.

Don’t read the Daily Record and only came on here after watching the manager’s interview post match on RTV. His “55 times” comment was clearly him stating that he felt Borna was exaggerating today. There’s no other way to take the comment.
Your correct.
Anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.
We all want every Rangers player to do well however that’s now twice in three weeks that Gerrard has called into question Barisic,Obviously something isn’t right, that’s not up for Forum arguments it’s their day in day out for the one guy that matters and that’s SG.

That slapping the ground pish has to stop. He walked off fine minutes after his dramatics.
He was also slapping his leg, I thought it was pretty strange at the time then seeing him walking off, add that to what SG said 'I dunno you have to ask borna' was pretty telling I'd say.

I had a chat with someone from Rangers who said that he had 'confidence' issues and was a good trainer but come Saturday, seemed to go all Andy Webster.

Your correct.
Anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.
We all want every Rangers player to do well however that’s now twice in three weeks that Gerrard has called into question Barisic,Obviously something isn’t right, that’s not up for Forum arguments it’s their day in day out for the one guy that matters and that’s SG.

You are speculating on the relationship between manager and player based on a 20 second sound bite at the end of an interview.
A comment in a press conference which was reported by the Daily Record as being a 'Warning'. A lot of people saying they didn't even read the article in question yet are using at as a source to cite in a discussion.

So no it's neither obvious or clear to any of us. I actually agree with your last comment. I will however hasten to add that a lot of posters on here are projecting their own thoughts and feelings onto the manager based on an article none of them read and a 20 sec sound bite. That is delusional.

Latest posts

Back