Barker

inverbear112

After watching the game today I think he could be a tidy player for us , got pace and appears to be direct , what’s others views on his rangers career so far?

I thought he was poor today. He seems waaay short on match sharpness, taking too long to make decisions and making the wrong ones a lot.

But, that's what I expected initially. He just needs to keep plugging away and he'll make a good contribution because he's got the ability.

I watched him when he came on for 15/20 minutes in the euro qualifier and for me he's not a player to rely on when we're under the cosh ,he can't defend,but we saw his goal against Livi so I reckon he'll have a part to play but against the "weaker teams"though I don't think he was very good even against todaday's opposition

On the match thread i said it was a worrying performance. He's pacy but he doesn't seem to want the ball all the time and when he gets it seems like he just wants to run down the line and that's it. Hasn't shown he has the ability to run on the inside of the fullback, hasn't shown the ability to change direction on the ball with pace like a guy like Kent or even Jones can. His one shot was good but is he going to be in the position to do that very often with how he plays?

I hope im wrong but with Kent back i'm worried Barker is going to be one of these players that we'll think we just need off the wage bill after 18 months

he does that stuttery wee dance when in possession that Sinclair and McGeady does when a man is standing him up but offers very little in actually taking it past the man

I hope he improves over time

Is he a permanent signing. I’m positive I heard commentary during the Feyenoord game say he was on loan and I was like eh?

Think he'll 'do a job' against poorer teams but he's nowhere near the top of the pecking order for me.

Gladly be proven wrong though.

Hes been decent for the game time that hes had. He can still improve though.

Folk need to remember that hes playing against 10 defenders now. Far different from his time at the spoonburners. Although not to flashy today he didnt put a foot wrong and showed some nice touches. He did beat his man a couple of times despite what some are saying.

I think its all about being confident with BB. Throughout his career he has never been settled at one club . Man city were loaning him all over the place. So I think he really just wants to get his head down and be a success . I think there are players in front of him but if he were to come on as a sub and to well enough to be first pick for the next game I think this would be a major confidence boost for him. He`ll do us a turn

Unconvinced so far but he’s had limited opportunities. Seemed a talent when on loan at Hibs so has something. I think he should help us in games when we come across a defensive wall and need something different to break through. Once he’s settled I think he’ll prove to be an asset.

He has pace but he doesn't seem to have the skills to beat a man and deliver a ball.

Harsh, but that's my first impression.

On today's performance - I agree.

When we signed Sone Aluko, most folks were underwhelmed, but I was one of the few who was excited - it seemed clear to me that in a good side, he would excel. So I got that one right, I think. BUT I also recently posted that IMO Barker would be a similar surprise to most people. So I now have to hope that Barker WILL show that he has the two skills you've mentioned (I still think that he has).

On today's performance - I agree.

When we signed Sone Aluko, most folks were underwhelmed, but I was one of the few who was excited - it seemed clear to me that in a good side, he would excel. So I got that one right, I think. BUT I also recently posted that IMO Barker would be a similar surprise to most people. So I now have to hope that Barker WILL show that he has the two skills you've mentioned (I still think that he has).
Your post implies that you want Barker to succeed because you predicted he would be a success when the majority of others were underwhelmed. I'm sure you, and everybody else for that matter, want every Rangers player to be a success regardless of opinions formed before a player has even kicked a ball for us.

I thought he looked every bit the punt and run Hibs player today.

I think he’s a good back up to Kent though. Nice option to have. Pace is electric.

Not seen anything yet to get excited about but got to give him some time to get to know his team-mates. Would prefer that Murphy got himself match fit.

He has barely played so I won't write him off but I think he won't get anywhere near the kind of game time he might require to settle in.

When Jones and Kent are fit again he will need to work really, really hard to even make the bench.
Entirely up to him.

I'm not holding out much hope for this guy. Clearly he needs time, but he needs to improve his output. Unrecognisable from the player who was a nightmare against us in Pedro's season.

Mixed bag so far - scored a decent goal the other week, but unconvincing yesterday. Can see him starting on Wednesday to see what he can do with a full game.

Bit early to judge but he looks exactly as I expected from his time at hibs.....doesn't have the quality or technical ability required.

Must do better.

We need the best Barker while Kenty and JJ are missing.

Same with Ojo too but I was really impressed and encouraged by Ojo performance today.

He doesn't look anywhere near the player who caused us all sorts of problems for Hibs in season 17/18.
That potentially shows what he’s capable of though. Ideally he’d be given time to bed in but injuries have forced the issue. I think he’ll play his part.

If Murphy had Barkers pace he would be a phenonemal player. Likewise, if Barker had Murphys trickery at actually getting past players, he would be a phenomenal player.

Still early days. Not sure many realise the step up in class and pressure that playing for us brings to players like Ojo and Barker who have never really played first team football under the pressure the Rangers Jersey brings.

Reactions: TN8
Still early days. Not sure many realise the step up in class and pressure that playing for us brings to players like Ojo and Barker who have never really played first team football under the pressure the Rangers Jersey brings.

Thank f*ck for that. Jaw was on the floor reading the rest of the thread. Scored last week on his league debut from the bench. Made his first league start today. I think he's had another two(?) brief sub appearances...... not good enough for some. F*ck me.

Filling in for injuries exactly what he was brought here to do. Won't feature much after Christmas all being well in the squad.

Runs like he's got dodgy ankles. Weird stance.

Just shows this game is all about opinions, I thought he was very poor, failed to get past them or link up with Morelos.

It’s early days so need to give him a chance to settle and prove himself. In all honesty I wasn’t sure of his signing and I’m still not. He played well against Livingston but was poor yesterday.

Back