Barker

Another whim signing with no real thought put into it.
No doubt loaned in season 2 and payed off in season 3.

Considering both Jones and Kent are injured I would say bringing in an young player at little cost was a decent move and quite timely. He is not up to match fitness yet , I’m sure he will contribute during the season.
Maybe you should apply for the chief scouting role if you think that the guys at Rangers don’t know what they are doing or do you just like to belly ache?

Perhaps it’s just perception but I don’t think he looks that fast over 10-15 yards, his acceleration looks poor. Which is the exact opposite to the type of player I thought we were getting.

Again, I’ll temper this with it may be my perception, I’ve only seen him against Feyenoord and the tv in the St. Johnstone game.

I'm pretty unsure of him so far - doesn't look like he's got much to offer judging by the time he's been on the pitch - which isn't long of course

I won't write him off - but it's difficult to see why we'd choose him ahead of others at the moment imo

Personally thought we were better balanced,and improved when he was"subbed",
no witch-hunt, thoroughly enjoyed his goal last week.

Considering both Jones and Kent are injured I would say bringing in an young player at little cost was a decent move and quite timely. He is not up to match fitness yet , I’m sure he will contribute during the season.
Maybe you should apply for the chief scouting role if you think that the guys at Rangers don’t know what they are doing or do you just like to belly ache?
Maybe it was Mark Allen that brung him in.
Is middleton any worse? and is far cheaper in wages possibly.
As for the pay offs and loans - where do we start.
He was rank yesterday, thats for sure.

Theres no way i would have gave him a 3 year deal.

Barker will be more effective at Ibrox on a big pitch and against teams who come at us, he has never been a player who can unlock packed defences, he hard;ly got invloved at all yesterday but its still early days for him and he needs to settle.

I don't know why people get so annoyed about free transfer signings, its a punt and it may or may not work, nothing to greet over.

Another whim signing with no real thought put into it.
No doubt loaned in season 2 and payed off in season 3.

A man well known to our coaching staff. Listen to the Michael Beale interview on RangersTV this weekend where he talks of having Ryan Kent in the Liverpool Youths whilst Barker was starring for Man City Youths. He reminds us that Barker was keeping Kent out of the England team.

I’d say it was far from a ‘whim’. The kid was available, the coaches knew what he could do.

Is he any better than Middleton?

And for me, Middleton is nowhere near good enough for us yet.

I would say he looks less of a player than Middleton. Early days but he looks fazed by the challenge Middleton might have been raw but he looked more attacking.

Barker will be more effective at Ibrox on a big pitch and against teams who come at us, he has never been a player who can unlock packed defences, he hard;ly got invloved at all yesterday but its still early days for him and he needs to settle.

I don't know why people get so annoyed about free transfer signings, its a punt and it may or may not work, nothing to greet over.

Im Curious as to where you have seen enough of this lad to realise hes never been a player to unlock packed defences? Or are you assuming ?

Personally was hooping his pace, directness and skill would assist us in doing just that.

Im Curious as to where you have seen enough of this lad to realise hes never been a player to unlock packed defences? Or are you assuming ?

Personally was hooping his pace, directness and skill would assist us in doing just that.

We've seen him in a couple of games he's not went by a player yet.

Barker is much more effective on the counter attack when he can run into space, i saw this a good few times against the Tims and against us when he was at Hibs.

I'm not saying he can't do it against packed defences i am just saying this is when i have seen him at his best

Who knows how he will do for us but he does have ability, Michael Beale was speaking about him in his interview yesterday on Rtv

A man well known to our coaching staff. Listen to the Michael Beale interview on RangersTV this weekend where he talks of having Ryan Kent in the Liverpool Youths whilst Barker was starring for Man City Youths. He reminds us that Barker was keeping Kent out of the England team.

I’d say it was far from a ‘whim’. The kid was available, the coaches knew what he could do.
Time will tell.
Rangers aint hibs or youth teams.

Will reserve judgement until I see more of him. Certainly scored a good goal when he came on v Livi.

I thought he was fairly anonymous in yesterdays game but he still needs to build up his fitness and match sharpness and has been flung in earlier than the management team would have preferred.

My mate said there was a quote from Trent Alexander Arnold stating he was one of the toughest LW's he had faced at any level, no idea if this is legit or not though.

Time will tell.
Rangers aint hibs or youth teams.

Of course, all I said is that it wasn’t a ‘whim’ - and it may not even have been driven by Mark Allen, another accusation that gets thrown about.

Barker, right now, is a squad player. Nothing wrong with that at this stage of his career. He’s done ‘OK’ when we’ve seen him, nothing more. He may well get better, he may well be a star - or he could face away. At one point in his career he was rated higher than Ryan Kent, so let’s give him a chance at the very least.

We seem in an awful rush on FF to condemn our signings as ‘not good enough’ or ‘potential star’ with little or no evidence to back it up. Give them time.

Of course, all I said is that it wasn’t a ‘whim’ - and it may not even have been driven by Mark Allen, another accusation that gets thrown about.

Barker, right now, is a squad player. Nothing wrong with that at this stage of his career. He’s done ‘OK’ when we’ve seen him, nothing more. He may well get better, he may well be a star - or he could face away. At one point in his career he was rated higher than Ryan Kent, so let’s give him a chance at the very least.

We seem in an awful rush on FF to condemn our signings as ‘not good enough’ or ‘potential star’ with little or no evidence to back it up. Give them time.
I think most Rangers fans know very early on whether it will work or not.
How many have not made it , compared to the ones that have.

If Murphy had Barkers pace he would be a phenonemal player. Likewise, if Barker had Murphys trickery at actually getting past players, he would be a phenomenal player.

Murphy (pre injury) is streets ahead of Barker. Its not just technical ability but his intelligent movement & space he creates are well beyond what Barker has in his locker

I've not seen anything from Barker to suggest he isnt a kick & rush player (which is entirely what I expected). V early days though

I think most Rangers fans know very early on whether it will work or not.
How many have not made it , compared to the ones that have.

‘Most’ Rangers fans had Coulibaly as a World-beater at this stage last season.

Barker is what he is - a cheap gamble that might, or might not, pay off.

We have to give the boy some more time. Its a big step up for him and once he eventually settles into Ibrox and everything that entails then I think we will see what he has to offer the team. Not giving up on the lad just yet.

The truth is nobody on here knows how it's going to unfold and what he'll be capable of based on very little game time. Absolutely worth the roll of the dice on a free.

Middleton's finishing was very good, which is actually what we need more of at the moment, but Barker took his goal last week very well also.

Let's see what happens.

He may do ok for us, who knows

How anyone can say he played well or did ok yesterday is beyond me though, looked a little boy lost for most of the game

I don't see him as a starter at all. He's got a lot of work to do on his game but could be handy to bring off the bench.

He doesn't look anywhere near the player who caused us all sorts of problems for Hibs in season 17/18.

Like shitey Mikey it's easier for a pacy player to look good against us as we are going at teams. It's a bit harder against teams that sit in. Lovenkrands was better against Celtic than in home league games against the dross.

3 years is a long gamble, do you know his wages if he s cheap

Do you know his wages if he's 'expensive'?

I've no idea of his wages - I was suggesting the Dev Fee/Transfer Fee we paid was, in the grand scheme of things, low. Put it this way, Grezda or Barker? Every transfer is a risk - for the fee we paid for Grezda we got Jones, Hastie and Barker and a pocketful of change, and only need 1 of them to pay off.

You've written him off, quite clearly. I've no idea how he will work out - but I'm prepared to give the guy a chance to prove he can make it. Same with Jones and Hastie.

In paper today, was beale that wanted him, he used to keep kent out of england squad at youth level. Hopefully when fit he plays his part. Thought he done well on Thursday, ojo was struggling and not helping out defensively but when barker came on he helped out and gave us an out ball.

He hasn’t had a lot of match time and would have been back up like Stewart if Kent and Jones had been fit.

There is a good chance he starts on wed and vs Hamilton in a few weeks but can’t see him playing vs Aberdeen or young boys

looks more like a grezda than a kent/jones tbh with the squad we have he isnt going to get the run of games to build on and improve like he wouldve had at teams like hibs etc, hoping he turns out to be a steal but he just looks awkward as ****

After watching the game today I think he could be a tidy player for us , got pace and appears to be direct , what’s others views on his rangers career so far?
I think him and Kent in the same team could be pretty potent for us as Kent can play both wings and through the middle and the pair have bags of pace. But I think the Gaffer will go for Kent first and it'll be one or the other.

Willing to give him some time to settle in first but on the first few glances he's looked like a player that's been out on multiple loans to clubs like Hibs & Preston.

He hasn’t had a lot of match time and would have been back up like Stewart if Kent and Jones had been fit.

There is a good chance he starts on wed and vs Hamilton in a few weeks but can’t see him playing vs Aberdeen or young boys
I think hell start against the sheep and I think hell slaughter them. The sheep dont sit in as much as other teams so I think thats when he does better.

I want to know what he asks his barber, for one thing. He seems alright and I hope he grows into a game starting this week vs Livi. That could be a chance for him, Kamara, Edmundson, Stewart to put on a performance. Took his goal well and seems to be putting the effort in. Early days.

Way to early to judge - but since its FF my judgement is that I'm not expecting much.

Couple squad appearances, disappear for months, appear on bench one day to exclamations of "I forgot he played for us"

Has a cracking CV for a 22yo. Like Kent, alluded to the fact that he was fed up of being loaned out season after season.

We've given him the perfect platform at the right time, its up to him to make the most of it.

Back