Barrie McKay “Unfinished Business”

Supermac1872

Official Ticketer
Looks like someone’s regretting leaving the platform before the Stevie G express pulled up...

BARRIE McKAY admits the manner of his departure from Rangers still hurts.

But the winger remains hopeful that chapter of his career can still be continued.
McKay hasn’t been back at Ibrox since he was deemed surplus to requirements by Pedro Caixinha in the summer of 2017.

Selling the midfielder to Nottingham Forest was just one of a catalogue of bad calls by the Portuguese dud, who was bulleted himself just months after McKay’s departure.

The Scotland international is now the happiest he has ever been after joining Swansea at the start of the season.

But the feeling of unfinished business at his boyhood heroes is one that still lingers.
He said: “Leaving wasn’t up to me. It was down to the manager and the owners.

“The manager made it clear he didn’t want me. I was a regular under Mark Warburton and then Caixinha only played me when he needed me.
“I wouldn’t start until a few results went against him and then he would say, ‘I need you to do it for me in this game’.

“I would play and then I’d be straight back out again. That’s just the way he was.
“He never lasted long after I left and fans still come up to me and say I left too soon.

“But they need to realise I didn’t force a move out of Ibrox. I didn’t want to go. A similar thing happened with David Bates.

“I think that is down to bad management, as Rangers didn’t tie him up on a contract earlier.
“Before they knew it he was gone — one guy at the club didn’t rate him and somebody with a big future was allowed to leave.

The move to Hamburg has worked out well for Batesy and he is thriving out there.

“He has got himself in the Scotland squad since moving to Germany but he could still be in Scotland.

“Yet, despite what happened with me, I have always said I would like to go back. If the opportunity ever came further down the line I would jump at it.

“You could say there is unfinished business.
“It is a huge club and it was an honour and a privilege to play for them. But for the moment I’m probably the most content and settled I’ve ever been at Swansea.”

McKay played more than a century of games for Rangers before he was forced out by Caixinha.
And even if he does not get the opportunity to return, he will covet a special place in the history of the club.

The 24- year-old was one of only three players — along with Lee Wallace and Dean Shiels — to complete the rise through the leagues from Division Three to the Premiership.

McKay was also the man who scored the goal that started the process when he netted the opener in a 2-2 draw against Peterhead at Balmoor back in August 2012.

He said: “That was a pretty surreal moment. I was only 17 at the time and it was all a bit of a blur.
“To be able to say you scored the first goal at the start of the journey is incredible.

“I will always hold that memory highly. At the time I don’t think I was fully aware of the significance of the goal.

“I was just happy to be playing football. I wasn’t thinking about anything else. However, over time I became more aware of just what that goal stood for.

“It’s an incredible memory and it’s something that always gets mentioned.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Rangers. It was a steep learning curve for me as I joined at 17 and I was almost instantly fast-tracked.

“I made my debut the same season I signed and I could never have imagined that. The following season I became a regular.

However, I haven’t been back since I left to join Forest.
“It’s not because I don’t want to go back. I just haven’t had the opportunity as I have been playing most weekends.”

But McKay still watches his old club from afar and he was encouraged by their victory in the last Old Firm clash — their first in 13 league games over Celtic.

He said: “It was a brilliant game and it was good to see Rangers getting after them.

“That was probably the first time since we beat them in the Scottish Cup semi-final a few years ago.

“However, that worked out for the worst as they went and got Brendan Rodgers and spent a fortune on players!

“Suddenly expectation went through the roof at Ibrox, the fans expected us to win the league in our first season back.

It was difficult because a lot of the players had only been used to playing in the Championship and they were still adapting.

“Now it is different. Steven Gerrard has come in and there is a real belief that Rangers can compete and challenge Celtic for the title.”

McKay also feels his former Forest team-mate Joe Worrall is exactly the type of character Rangers need if they are to end seven years of Hoops dominance.

He added: “I still speak with Joe. He is a confident lad and he has taken that into his game up in Scotland.

“At Forest he was always someone you could rely on, especially in the bigger games. He never shied away from anything and that is what you need at Rangers.

“You can’t hide and when it comes to fronting up, Joe will always be there.”

Last edited:
1rdjz9.jpg

Caixinha was wrong to punt him for next to nothing and replace him with dalcio:mad:

But even reading his comments just now there are serious doubts whether he has the mentality to ever be consistent with us. He is a talented player but probably better at a club with less expectations

He can %^*& off, the wee coward. He clearly felt that being at Rangers was akin to being kept in a prison camp, so lord knows why he’d want to come back.

He’s went down South and proven everything I ever said about him to be correct. A very talented footballer with no heart and no drive, thus no business being a Rangers player.

Seriously underrated player on here. Didn’t score enough goals as part of a front three but he was quick, could go past people, had a brilliant first touch, was the best passer at the club and for all the non-fancier nonsense the stats showed he covered the ground. His assist stats were great and would have been phenomenal if we had ever had a decent forward while he was here. It was a disgrace he was allowed to go for 500k.

As much as I like Barrie Ryan Kent is head and shoulders above him and I’d say Glenn Middleton has shown enough about him against better opposition than Barrie did you suggest he is also better player

Seriously underrated player on here. Didn’t score enough goals as part of a front three but he was quick, could go past people, had a brilliant first touch, was the best passer at the club and for all the non-fancier nonsense the stats showed he covered the ground. His assist stats were great and would have been phenomenal if we had ever had a decent forward while he was here. It was a disgrace he was allowed to go for 500k.

That you Barrie?:)

On his day he was a very effective player for Rangers.
I will always recall his long-distance effort against The Filth.
Barrie certainly had a lot of footballing ability but I think he lacked that wee bit of extra determination that takes a player onto the next level.
Nice to see he has kind words for the club he supports.
I wish him all the best.

Inconsistent in the lower leagues, stands to reason he would also be inconsistent in the top league.

Doesn't seem like a Gerrard player either.

There hasn't been a post on here saying he's scored for months, guess his form has dipped again?

As much as I like Barrie Ryan Kent is head and shoulders above him and I’d say Glenn Middleton has shown enough about him against better opposition than Barrie did you suggest he is also better player

I don't remember Middleton sticking it in the top bin against the tims mind you...

What's that Barrie? Not being treated like a human being Barrie? How's that working out for you now, as you languish midtable in the England's second tier, Barrie?

Heart of a mouse. Never come back.

A prime example of when a player runs his mouth off and lives to regret it. Currently not getting a game and bleated about his terrible treatment. A huge no from me.

If he had a proper work ethic and showed some guts then he would have been perfect. Him, Kent and Jones would have every full back in the league for toast. Lazy bastard but

I’d be gutted to see him back because it would imply we’re desperate and that standards had slipped.

A guy like him would get nowhere near this squad with his mentality.

Will always remember his strike against them in the semi final.

However he didn’t deliver those kinds of moments nearly enough.

His comments about his treatment before he left were ill advised. Talking about how he was treated poorly while being paid handsomely for playing (not very often) for Rangers. I’m sure it was far from slave conditions for him.

But we also sold him for far too little.

All in all - very disappointing all round.

In the Forrest games I watched he hadn't changed - the odd glimpse of brilliance followed by Mr Invisible.
There's loads of guys like him and Windass who have great skill but lack the other attributes needed to play for a big club.

He will be back up the road soon enough at Hearts, Aberdeen or somewhere, as I predicted when he left, many told me he would be a star in the EPL and we had let a superstar go....one of the most weak willed players I’ve seen, bags of talent but no good if your not willing to work hard at it

I agree with this. Great technique and vision. could be unplayable on his day and Gerrard could have made his day, every day.

Back