Barrie McKay “Unfinished Business”

Modern football is littered with guys like McKay, undoubtedly talented but unfortunately lack the heart,drive and desire to make it to the very top.

well i liked him and would like to see him become the player his skill says he could be.

he scored a screamer against Celtic which was our biggest result since 2012. That match got us back our pride and belief. The alone says he should get a bit of respect.

how people on here have to slag him off at every chance is beyond me.

Yeah exactly and blaming Caixinha is just a smokescreen.

McKay could be unplayable yet other times be as good as a man short. I remember he absolutely destroyed Lustig at Ibrox new year game that season, deserved to be on the winning side tbh.

Next old firm game at the piggery (Clint Hill equaliser )? Anonymous. And Murty hooked him early doors im sure.

Even Warburton eventually benched him at one point. The folk blaming Pedro are too far up Barrie’s ring piece to just acknowledge reality, which is that he just couldn’t be arsed trying for Rangers a lot of the time.

When you’re hooked at half time at the piggery by a youth coach in a Rangers side that is largely dire, you know you’ve got a bit of a chancer on your hands.

Personally would love it if he were still here. He didn’t have the workrate of a Candeias but he was a lot better at tracking back than most on here claim. And his output was very very good in terms of goals and assists. Rarely wasted the ball. Was fast, had tricks, could go outside or inside and had the best first touch i’ve seen in years. Although the stories of him fading out of games are grossly exaggerated, even what truth there is in them has to be put in the context of the dross playing around him.

I would advise any of his detractors to have a look at his YouTube showreel. It absolutely eclipses any of our current wingers including Kent. If he was an unknown Liverpool reserve, most of the posters not rating him on here would be claiming that we couldn’t afford him.

“Have a look at his YouTube reel”

Bwahahaha. Why? We all watched him week in week out, a YouTube reel can make most players look brilliant. One things for sure his YouTube reel would contain little footage of him doing it in the SPL.

Wish McKay well, but he was a passenger in a lot of games.

Then again, so was Halliday. Who knows how McKay would have performed under Gerrard.

I thought he and Wallace at one time, had a great partnership together.Untill the troubles started.

Unless he’s turned over a new leaf and able to put in the effort for 90 minutes rather than just a few isolated flashes of brilliance a return just couldn’t be considered - unless he’s a glutton for more inhumane treatment that is.

Seriously underrated player on here. Didn’t score enough goals as part of a front three but he was quick, could go past people, had a brilliant first touch, was the best passer at the club and for all the non-fancier nonsense the stats showed he covered the ground. His assist stats were great and would have been phenomenal if we had ever had a decent forward while he was here. It was a disgrace he was allowed to go for 500k.

He had a manager in Warburton who was willing to make excuses for him rather then push him hard followed by the idiot that was Caixinha.

I would have loved to see him under Gerrard and find out whether he could have gone to the next level with proper direction as Morelos seems to be doing.

No aff the scale maye, a full thread condeming mckay.
Whens the last ashley one?
Eh the strips, eh loads of money to the club.

This is the first thread about McKay in months and it is because he has done an interview and he talks about us in it, do you just want people to ignore it?

Nothing said on the thread is out of order, some peoples valid opinions on him that is all, to try and equate a thread talking about Barrie McKay to fans not confronting Whyte or Ashley or the Easedales is some jump.

If McKay hadn't done this interview, no thread would be on the first page about him.

Same when Lewis McLeod is linked, or Naismith, people give there opinions.

What's that Barrie? Not being treated like a human being Barrie? How's that working out for you now, as you languish midtable in the England's second tier, Barrie?

Heart of a mouse. Never come back.

Were your eyes bulging out your head as you emotionally typed that.?..o_O

This is the first thread about McKay in months and it is because he has done an interview and he talks about us in it, do you just want people to ignore it?

Nothing said on the thread is out of order, some peoples valid opinions on him that is all, to try and equate a thread talking about Barrie McKay to fans not confronting Whyte or Ashley or the Easedales is some jump.

If McKay hadn't done this interview, no thread would be on the first page about him.

Same when Lewis McLeod is linked, or TE]
Oh and he s a shitebag is not out of order.

source.gif

Which bit?

I assure you that Baxter was a hard worker and Cooper, though a near unparalleled genius going forward, did not have a reputation for defensive backtracking.

We will agree to disagree. Am old but too young for Baxter. Cooper was our best. You compared him with Barry McKay in your first post. Hence you are talking nonsense.

Pedro was an idiot-he's tied us into long contracts with players who make Barrie McKay look like John Greig. There's no other way to assess it.

McKay hadn't the elements to his game that appeals to the rump of our support-he was disliked for what was considered being too chicken hearted.
There's no other way to asses that either.

He should concentrate on making the best he can out of his career.

The comparison with Cooper are similar in that at the absolute bottom point of Cooper's career he was pushing the buttons of the support in a similar fashion as Barrie did. Anybody who debates that wasn't on the terraces at the time to hear the abuse Cooper got. The difference though is Cooper had ability at a level above Barrie and had delivered genuine success at the club before his slump and after it....Barrie's going to need to push on with his career pronto.

Thinking back, that last year of Barrie was so frustrating, he played well in maybe 1 out of 8 games. I think a lot of people forget his inconsistency.
Like most seem to be saying, good luck in the future Barrie, but not with us.

For me if he had went south and really set the heather on fire we would never have seen this interview.
He wouldnt give a shit about unfinished buisness. I dont believe for a minute he didnt want to leave. He left and we moved on. Your yesterdays man Barrie.

We will agree to disagree. Am old but too young for Baxter. Cooper was our best. You compared him with Barry McKay in your first post. Hence you are talking nonsense.

McKay couldn’t lace Cooper’s boots. Either can any player who has played in Scotland in the last 15 years. That doesn’t make McKay a bad player. He is one of the best wingers we’ve had in the last 15 years. Folk (wrongly) claiming that he didn’t do defensive work and therefore must be damned would presumably have such views on other players. Cooper’s genius going forward let him off with a lot but he was known for drifting out of games at times and being very poor at defensive aspects. The offensive attributes more than compensated.

It is reasonable to say that McKay wasn’t good enough to compensate for perceived defensive deficiencies (even if these are grossly overstated) but it is not reasonable to just blanket damn him for them or else you must damn Coop as well.

Like many have said........has an abundance of talent.
But no drive or passion to do anything with it.
Just another ex Rangers player and that will always be his claim to fame

Mckay will end at a hearts or killie in a couple of years. Wee moments of skill that are eclipsed by his total anonymity. Bang average on the whole, no hard feelings but no thanks Barry.

Technically, and on his day, one of the best players I can think of in recent memory (at our level). Just a real shame that his day was so seldom, and his application was so poor, as he's pissing away what should have been a far more successful career.

If Barrie could be arsed, he'd be playing in the Premier League, but at this rate if he doesn't get the finger out, he'll be finishing off his career even further down the English ladder.

Dave King re-write history as well? As he literally said at the AGM we undersold players recently...

McKay couldn’t lace Cooper’s boots. Either can any player who has played in Scotland in the last 15 years. That doesn’t make McKay a bad player. He is one of the best wingers we’ve had in the last 15 years. Folk (wrongly) claiming that he didn’t do defensive work and therefore must be damned would presumably have such views on other players. Cooper’s genius going forward let him off with a lot but he was known for drifting out of games at times and being very poor at defensive aspects. The offensive attributes more than compensated.

It is reasonable to say that McKay wasn’t good enough to compensate for perceived defensive deficiencies (even if these are grossly overstated) but it is not reasonable to just blanket damn him for them or else you must damn Coop as well.

I have never damned McKay. As far as I am concerned he should not be spoken of in the same breath as Davie Cooper. You are still doing this. As I said already we can agree to disagree on this. We all have different opinions. Let's just enjoy winning the League this year which I am certain we will do.

I have never damned McKay. As far as I am concerned he should not be spoken of in the same breath as Davie Cooper. You are still doing this. As I said already we can agree to disagree on this. We all have different opinions. Let's just enjoy winning the League this year which I am certain we will do.

Cool. Not entirely sure what we are disagreeing on.

Cooper was lightyears away from MacKay in ability (Though that’s no criticism of MacKay) but he provoked very similar debates on his attitude and workrate. I only began remembering supporting us at the very end of his time with us but my father still never views him in the same light as other greats like Baxter because of this.

There is no comparison of the players but the comparison of the criticism is valid.

They way that he left - he left because of himself. He didn't want to sign a contract. The shite he spouted when he left was unbelievable. Not even treated like a human was it Barrie?

A good player that I think could have gone on to have a special career with Rangers. Who will sadly go on to have a nothing career.

Big Barrie fan his skill was a joy to watch at times but he moved on and I wish him all the best,Things turned very sour for him at Ibrox and he will not be back.

He had a phenomenal touch and fantastic ability but even by any wingers standards he was far too inconsistent and ineffective.

Ah, the classic "It wiznae me, it was Pedro" excuse ignoring the fact that McKay knocked back two contract offers under his beloved Warburton to stay here.

He's at it. He wanted out of Ibrox long before Pedro showed up.

I like the player but the above is accurate. He's at it with these comments.

Back