Barrie McKay “Unfinished Business”

But the feeling of unfinished business at his boyhood heroes is one that still lingers.
He said: “Leaving wasn’t up to me. It was down to the manager and the owners.
I didn’t know McKay was one of us growing up, I was always thought he was from the dark side. ..

Also I think he’s being a bit liberal with the truth regarding his transfer. Whilst I agree we let him go for a pittance he refused to commit to a long term deal and only signed one year extensions. That put the club in an awkward position as it meant hewas always within a season of signing a pre-contract elsewhere and us risk losing him for free. Barry had talent, but I think he was badly advised that he was better that he actually was

He drifted in and out of games, mainly out of them. When Gerrard took over he was filmed in Spain telling the players he doesn’t want any phoneys in his squad. Barrie was exactly that!

I wold have him back - his work rate at times was understated - especially under Warburton

Pedro didn’t have a fucken clue what he was doing with McKay - he appeared to throw him under the bus in the media as he felt it had to be done this was despite McKay dragging him out the shit when he did play - if it wasn’t for McKay Pedro wouldn’t even have made it to Progress

Last edited:
The lad has talent. But for me went missing in a lot of games.
Whether he is good enough for The Rangers is a matter for a different thread.
I for one wish Barrie the best in his career and its nice to see him nail his colours to the mast.
He was a very young lad when he started with us.

Will always remember his strike against them in the semi final.

However he didn’t deliver those kinds of moments nearly enough.

His comments about his treatment before he left were ill advised. Talking about how he was treated poorly while being paid handsomely for playing (not very often) for Rangers. I’m sure it was far from slave conditions for him.

But we also sold him for far too little.

All in all - very disappointing all round.
What's the story regarding his comments. I've seen it mentioned before.
Not being difficult. I was working in Middle East at the time so must have missed it

Under the right management, he’d have potentially turned out to be an excellent player for our level.

Looks like someone’s regretting leaving the platform before the Stevie G express pulled up...

“But they need to realise I didn’t force a move out of Ibrox. I didn’t want to go. A similar thing happened with David Bates.

“I think that is down to bad management, as Rangers didn’t tie him up on a contract earlier.
“Before they knew it he was gone — one guy at the club didn’t rate him and somebody with a big future was allowed to leave.

The move to Hamburg has worked out well for Batesy and he is thriving out there.

Who was the one guy? Pedro was away by the time Bates signed for Hamburg.
Does he mean Mark Allen?

Now things are looking up for us,all of a sudden the rhats are trying to worm their way back in.No you can f uck off just like Judas.

I've always found Barrie a bit of a mystey
Sublime on a few occassions - but frequently anonymous
If anyone could convert his obvious talent into consistency- they'd have a real star on their hands
I haven't seen any signs that he's changed much when I've watched him since he left - so chances are he's already reached the highest level he's going to
I wouldn't imagine SG would have much patience with him
All seems a case of what might have been
Another lost cause

He could dribble past just about anyone and had better technique in his passing and shooting than a player from Scotland in this age should have. How do you not realise that and go on to be a superstar?

Seriously underrated player on here. Didn’t score enough goals as part of a front three but he was quick, could go past people, had a brilliant first touch, was the best passer at the club and for all the non-fancier nonsense the stats showed he covered the ground. His assist stats were great and would have been phenomenal if we had ever had a decent forward while he was here. It was a disgrace he was allowed to go for 500k.

He refuses to sign contract. Under the circumstances we did well to get that for him no matter how much others try and rewrite history.

How much did Forest get for him when selling him to Swansea?

He has struggled since leaving Rangers

Talented shitebag, heart of a mouse.
Likely most of the punters on here that say that never seen him play.
Armchair fans jumping on the usual phrases wheeled out- get a ffing life.

He’s a better player than Middleton and I think under the right manager he could be a top player. The heart of a mouse thing got thrown at him because he won’t steam into 50 50 tackles. The management team at the time ruined a lot of players.

I was as big a Barrie McKay fan as you could get. I loved watching him play, but he's gone,he's history and we should move on. He's as entitled to his opinion as anyone else and is at liberty to voice that opinion when asked for it.
I struggle to understand the venom shown on here anytime his name comes up.

Having seen him through our rise through the leagues I always thought he was the one that shown out as a quality player. Had tremendous skill about him and could control and pass the ball with excellent pace.
In some ways he was also your typical winger who needed an arm round him in coaching to bring him along.
I have no axe to grind about him at all and wonder if our current coaching set up would help him, the way it has Halliday?
Probably never know.

He's an occasional sub. Which is all he'd be here if he returned.

There's always an excuse when it comes to McKay. It's never his fault, it's always the long ball/foreign/dinosaur manager (delete as applicable) to blame when it comes to him.

Truth is McKay has flourished under one manager his entire career so far. We were told Forest were going to make a killing off him when they sold him. Instead they sold him for the same price they bought him for inside a year to a promotion rival. Now at Swansea under a young progressive manager who plays passing football and he's started less than half their games this season. At some point the penny will drop.

He's a wonderfully gifted footballer. But something is clearly holding him back. And it can't all be at the various manager's door.

Here we go again, the Barry McKay appreciation society, why do we get threads about a player who only turned it on at times in a poor team that made him look good. For a player who’s out the door let’s forget him!

There's always an excuse when it comes to McKay. It's never his fault, it's always the long ball/foreign/dinosaur manager (delete as applicable) to blame when it comes to him.

Truth is McKay has flourished under one manager his entire career so far. We were told Forest were going to make a killing off him when they sold him. Instead they sold him for the same price they bought him for inside a year to a promotion rival. Now at Swansea under a young progressive manager who plays passing football and he's started less than half their games this season. At some point the penny will drop.

He's a wonderfully gifted footballer. But something is clearly holding him back. And it can't all be at the various manager's door.
Didnt someone on here say they knew him and that he didnt really love football, it was just a job to him?

Looks like someone’s regretting leaving the platform before the Stevie G express pulled up...

BARRIE McKAY admits the manner of his departure from Rangers still hurts.

But the winger remains hopeful that chapter of his career can still be continued.
McKay hasn’t been back at Ibrox since he was deemed surplus to requirements by Pedro Caixinha in the summer of 2017.

Selling the midfielder to Nottingham Forest was just one of a catalogue of bad calls by the Portuguese dud, who was bulleted himself just months after McKay’s departure.

The Scotland international is now the happiest he has ever been after joining Swansea at the start of the season.

But the feeling of unfinished business at his boyhood heroes is one that still lingers.
He said: “Leaving wasn’t up to me. It was down to the manager and the owners.

“The manager made it clear he didn’t want me. I was a regular under Mark Warburton and then Caixinha only played me when he needed me.
“I wouldn’t start until a few results went against him and then he would say, ‘I need you to do it for me in this game’.

“I would play and then I’d be straight back out again. That’s just the way he was.
“He never lasted long after I left and fans still come up to me and say I left too soon.

“But they need to realise I didn’t force a move out of Ibrox. I didn’t want to go. A similar thing happened with David Bates.

“I think that is down to bad management, as Rangers didn’t tie him up on a contract earlier.
“Before they knew it he was gone — one guy at the club didn’t rate him and somebody with a big future was allowed to leave.

The move to Hamburg has worked out well for Batesy and he is thriving out there.

“He has got himself in the Scotland squad since moving to Germany but he could still be in Scotland.

“Yet, despite what happened with me, I have always said I would like to go back. If the opportunity ever came further down the line I would jump at it.

“You could say there is unfinished business.
“It is a huge club and it was an honour and a privilege to play for them. But for the moment I’m probably the most content and settled I’ve ever been at Swansea.”

McKay played more than a century of games for Rangers before he was forced out by Caixinha.
And even if he does not get the opportunity to return, he will covet a special place in the history of the club.

The 24- year-old was one of only three players — along with Lee Wallace and Dean Shiels — to complete the rise through the leagues from Division Three to the Premiership.

McKay was also the man who scored the goal that started the process when he netted the opener in a 2-2 draw against Peterhead at Balmoor back in August 2012.

He said: “That was a pretty surreal moment. I was only 17 at the time and it was all a bit of a blur.
“To be able to say you scored the first goal at the start of the journey is incredible.

“I will always hold that memory highly. At the time I don’t think I was fully aware of the significance of the goal.

“I was just happy to be playing football. I wasn’t thinking about anything else. However, over time I became more aware of just what that goal stood for.

“It’s an incredible memory and it’s something that always gets mentioned.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Rangers. It was a steep learning curve for me as I joined at 17 and I was almost instantly fast-tracked.

“I made my debut the same season I signed and I could never have imagined that. The following season I became a regular.

However, I haven’t been back since I left to join Forest.
“It’s not because I don’t want to go back. I just haven’t had the opportunity as I have been playing most weekends.”

But McKay still watches his old club from afar and he was encouraged by their victory in the last Old Firm clash — their first in 13 league games over Celtic.

He said: “It was a brilliant game and it was good to see Rangers getting after them.

“That was probably the first time since we beat them in the Scottish Cup semi-final a few years ago.

“However, that worked out for the worst as they went and got Brendan Rodgers and spent a fortune on players!

“Suddenly expectation went through the roof at Ibrox, the fans expected us to win the league in our first season back.

It was difficult because a lot of the players had only been used to playing in the Championship and they were still adapting.

“Now it is different. Steven Gerrard has come in and there is a real belief that Rangers can compete and challenge Celtic for the title.”

McKay also feels his former Forest team-mate Joe Worrall is exactly the type of character Rangers need if they are to end seven years of Hoops dominance.

He added: “I still speak with Joe. He is a confident lad and he has taken that into his game up in Scotland.

“At Forest he was always someone you could rely on, especially in the bigger games. He never shied away from anything and that is what you need at Rangers.

“You can’t hide and when it comes to fronting up, Joe will always be there.”
With respect this is bollocks. I know for a fact that his sent was touting him around before warburton left.

Personally would love it if he were still here. He didn’t have the workrate of a Candeias but he was a lot better at tracking back than most on here claim. And his output was very very good in terms of goals and assists. Rarely wasted the ball. Was fast, had tricks, could go outside or inside and had the best first touch i’ve seen in years. Although the stories of him fading out of games are grossly exaggerated, even what truth there is in them has to be put in the context of the dross playing around him.

I would advise any of his detractors to have a look at his YouTube showreel. It absolutely eclipses any of our current wingers including Kent. If he was an unknown Liverpool reserve, most of the posters not rating him on here would be claiming that we couldn’t afford him.

Personally would love it if he were still here. He didn’t have the workrate of a Candeias but he was a lot better at tracking back than most on here claim. And his output was very very good in terms of goals and assists. Rarely wasted the ball. Was fast, had tricks, could go outside or inside and had the best first touch i’ve seen in years. Although the stories of him fading out of games are grossly exaggerated, even what truth there is in them has to be put in the context of the dross playing around him.

I would advise any of his detractors to have a look at his YouTube showreel. It absolutely eclipses any of our current wingers including Kent. If he was an unknown Liverpool reserve, most of the posters not rating him on here would be claiming that we couldn’t afford him.

Nice to see that Barrie still has a log-in here

'he can f off' 'coward' 'heart of a mouse' 'panty wetter'

Section of 'fans' on here are a total shambles. Here's a young lad who played over 100 games for us, clearly a bear, saying nice things about the club, and he gets hit with that pish.

Ok, he wasn't good enough and probably never will be. But some of the stuff I've read on this thread is shambolic. No wonder there's no loyalty in the game with fans like these. Have a word with yourselves.

Barry McKay or Ryan Kent
Hmm hard one

Both put Celtic to the sword.
Both played very well in a blue shirt.
Both can be slightly inconsistent but less than you’d think for a young winger.
One slightly better than the other at tracking back. The other slightly more productive with goals and assists.

I think Kent is the better player but that is mainly due to the Liverpool heritage. What they have both done in royal blue is comparable, albeit much of McKay’s was in lower leagues.

I liked him. One of the few players through the darker seasons who could genuinely get our bums off the seats.
Never say never Barrie!

Can only imagine what he would be like in this Gerrard team.

Pace, skill, shooting from long range. A manager who has a clue what to do with him and set up a team properly could only have been good for the lad. Lets not forget he was fast tracked at 17 into the team FFS

Not a fan of putting down players who have nice things to say about us in the press. Never understood "fans" who hound people saying nice things about the club. For instance if this was on twitter, no doubt the first reply would be a football account trying to get staunch points by saying "you were a sh*tebag, f*ck off, no welcome at Ibrox" But hey, stauch and all that

Heart of a mouse, when the going got tough, he would simply disappear in games.

Yeah exactly and blaming Caixinha is just a smokescreen.

McKay could be unplayable yet other times be as good as a man short. I remember he absolutely destroyed Lustig at Ibrox new year game that season, deserved to be on the winning side tbh.

Next old firm game at the piggery (Clint Hill equaliser )? Anonymous. And Murty hooked him early doors im sure.

Thats a bit ott mate, there arent many hard wingers.
Ex Rangers player and supporter- i thought we didnt bad mouth our own?
He didnt take much money in wages and we got a transfer fee.
Maybe aim your comments at pena, grezda , rossiter.
Nothing OTT about it, he hid far too much in big games. We don’t need those type of players.

rbic06.gif

Pena's showreel was good too.

I was a huge McKay fan. In terms of natural footballing talent he is the best player we have brought through since Barry Fergusuon.

He wanted out the door though and I wouldn't take him back, his attitude clearly is not compatible with making the most of his ability.

Back