Barrie McKay

He's typical of so many young players these days. Bags of talent, but the heart of a mouse. If he had the Stevie G mentality he would be a top championship or lower EPL level player imo, but thinks turning up and going through the motions is enough.

He's typical of so many young players these days. Bags of talent, but the heart of a mouse. If he had the Stevie G mentality he would be a top championship or lower EPL level player imo, but thinks turning up and going through the motions is enough.
been interesting to have seen what he would have been like under Stevie G,maybe not physically strong enough as well as mentally tough,but maybe he could have changed him

I was at Watford v Swansea in the cup earlier this season when he came on for the last 20 minutes or so. He did alright but not enough to get them back in the game. I watched him and Tom Carroll in the warm up at the start where they didn’t give it much effort at all.

As well as Barrie McKay, can’t think of many (any) players who have enhanced their careers after leaving Rangers.
That's because the only way is down after us ;)

Charlie Adam and John Fleck though?

Not sure Waghorn has bettered his career but he did earn a big money move, and seeing the improvement Gerrard made with Alfie, Jack, Tav etc. then I would love to seem him back.

A bit of a derail but when I was reading up on some of the Swansea fans comments I came accross a thread about McKay and McBurnie apparently not doing the huddle. Turns out another fella, George Byers isn't doing it either.

a009311e34c78ce908c9e328afd97c55.png

:D

Turns out Byers is an 'English born Scot'. I'll assume he's a Gers man. (edit - quick google search confirms he is staunch)

He started okay when he moved to England.

Then it was in free fall.

A boy that thought he could have done better.

If he was here he would be shipped out due to attitude and skill. We have better than him now. He had his chance.

Looking back at his career at 30, he will wonder where it all went wrong.

Still remember the arguments on here at the time I had. Folk telling me he was destined for the top in the EPL whilst I in the minority, said he was nowhere near as good as some on here would have you believe

Gio , Arteta, Gattuso.... Jelavic and Hutton went to the prem but didn’t win anything so don’t know if that counts
No reason why they shouldn’t count. Hutton was probably one of the very few Scottish born players who did well but as someone mentioned, Fleck has time on his side. Just remembered that Alan McGregor deserves to be included.

I think Stevie G would have helped McKay develop into a cracking player.

Compare him with Kent. Both skillful, both can beat a man, bit of pace and can finish. If Barrie McKay starts a game brightly but can't beat a player at the first or second attemp he gives up and eventually fades out of the game. Kent on the other hand if he does not beat a man on the first few goes he tries harder and keeps going until he has the beating of the opposition. That's the one problem McKay always had no desire to keep plugging away if things were not going his way. It's something he could work on but you get the feeling it will take a certain coach or manager to get that out of him.

Back