Barrie McKays Agent Says Forrest Would Have Payed Double The Price For Him

GEODGC

Official Ticketer
I'm not sure what to make of this to be honest.

nottinghampost

Rangers sold Barrie McKay to Nottingham Forest on the cheap, says winger's agent
McKay's agent slams former Gers boss Pedro Caixinha for undervaluing the star

Barry Cooper
  • 08:56, 9 NOV 2017
SPORT

CLICK TO PLAY
WATCH NEXTNottingham Forest linked with Brondby's 22.5m-rated goalkeeper Frederik Rnnow (...that's in krone!)

Barrie McKay has been nothing short of a sensation at Nottingham Forestsince his arrival from Rangers in the summer.

The creative winger has scored four times and has seven assists to his name following his £500,000 move from Ibrox, and the deal continues to cause some consternation north of the border.
McKay’s agent Grant Smith has taken aim at former Gers boss Pedro Caixinha, who he accuses of selling the 22-year-old on the cheap, having frozen him out of action before being sacked at the end of October.

'We can beat anyone playing like that' - Barrie McKay vows Nottingham Forest will come out flying after the international break
Smith admits he was surprised that Rangers were happy to let McKay move to Nottingham for less than £1 million, especially given the fact the Reds had just sold Britt Assombalonga to Middlesbrough for a club-record £15 million.

Pedro-Caixinha-was-sacked-at-the-end-of-last-month.jpg

Pedro Caixinha was sacked at the end of last month (Image: Ian MacNicol/Getty Images)
“I know there’s some who’ll think, 'He should want to play for free' but at the end of the day he was an asset – he was Rangers’ asset,” Smith said.

"Barrie was their main asset because the rest were older. OK, you might have got your money back on some of them but Barrie was someone who was going to make them real money.”

Last January, McKay had been linked with a £6 million move to German outfit Red Bull Leipzig and Smith believes Rangers’ tactics with Forest played right into the Championship club’s hands.

"Forest were interested and they made £15 million on a player. Then Pedro decided not to involve him.

'I want to get promotion AND back into the Scotland squad' - Nottingham Forest's Barrie McKay sets ambitious double target
“Yeah, he ostracised him.

"If I’m in charge of Rangers at that time, I’m asking 'What are you doing?' But what’s Rangers’ leverage (in negotiations)?

"They told them they didn’t want Barrie. If you tell a buyer you want this player to stay – that’s your leverage.

"Soon as you put him with the youth team then you don’t have any leverage,” he told the Daily Record.

barrie-mckay.jpg

Barrie McKay in action for Rangers against Celtic
McKay’s arrival was part of a double move from Scotland, with Forest also securing Jason Cummings from Hibernian and given Mark Warburton’s knowledge of McKay from the pair’s time together at Ibrox, Smith believes the Reds would have paid more to secure the winger’s services, had Rangers pushed them.

"Forest would have paid a lot more. Easily. Double at least. Mark knew him, Davie Weir knew him and they knew the situation. Rangers took their poker hand away from themselves.”

After banishing McKay to the reserves after raising concerns over McKay’s intention not to sign a new deal in Glasgow, his agent admits he was less than impressed with Caixinha’s handling of his client.

Could a play-off push see Nottingham Forest get their HIGHEST average attendance for more than 20 years?
“I mean, some of the stuff Pedro said to him...

"He was contradicting himself all the time. One minute saying he was the best player in Scotland, the next he was putting him with the youths.

"Someone doing the job of that size should have been doing better. He cost Rangers a lot of money."

Forest-v-Millwall011JPG.jpg

Barrie McKay scored on his Reds debut to beat Millwall (Image: Dan Westwell)
McKay was also keen to stay with the Scottish giants, according to Smith, who told the Fitba podcast that meetings with the club had a very different outcome.

"I keep hearing and reading Barrie was desperate to go. He must have had three or four meetings to say, 'I’m happy to stay',” he said.

"I was in that office four times before Mark Allen came in. And they were saying, 'we’re thinking of this but...'

"The good thing for Rangers now is they have this director of football in because he knows the game. I dealt with Mark a few times when we were leaving and it was spot-on."

• Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Daily Newsletter

Last edited:
Let’s hope that the board have put sell on clauses into the contract when sold to Forrest so we get a bit of a return on him if he moves on.

Down there when I've seen him he was up there with their best players. I think we could be looking at him in a few years at a premiership club complaining at what could have been.

Maybe he just couldn't handle the weight of the jersey.

Losing McKay so easily and cheaply still makes me sick. The worst piece of business during Pedro's reign. Worth about 5 Windasses.

What I don't miss is the unjust pelters he received on here and at Ibrox. The weight of winning a game or turning a game round placed solely on his young shoulders, and lambasted when he doesn't.

He'll be in the EPL at one point and probably move there for a hefty sum. More fool us. This was Pedro's worst action as manager.

Agree re the fee but mckays lack of any consistency will be fine for a club like forrest not for us

A bit of a false headline. The Agents comments seem to indicate they would have paid more for McKay had he of been playing for Rangers 1st team and considered more of an asset by the club but why would we play him if he didn't want to stay long term

In the end Pedro seen through McKays attitude and his refusal to not sign up and brought in a more complete player in the form of candaias

McKay is in his first season with forest. I'm sure in time he'll show himself up to be the half arsed, will give you 15 decent game a season player that we all grew to know

Also have to remember McKay was starting to show his best form when Murty was in charge. Clearly McKay lacks fight and the level of consistency needed but can’t help but think a manager capable of man managing players could have got a lot more out of him.

Would much rather we had him that Windass, nemane or Dalcio

Its amazing how quickly people forget that the player himself had a stinking attitude and was an absolute coward.

CNdeias has had more good games this season to date than barry all of last season.

What happens now is what happens, but dont forget when reminiscing about his good days, his bad left us a man down.

Also have to remember McKay was starting to show his best form when Murty was in charge. Clearly McKay lacks fight and the level of consistency needed but can’t help but think a manager capable of man managing players could have got a lot more out of him.

Murty’s finest moment was a 1-1 draw at the piggery. He hooked McKay at half time in that game for a complete anonymous and gutless display.

Losing McKay so easily and cheaply still makes me sick. The worst piece of business during Pedro's reign. Worth about 5 Windasses.

What I don't miss is the unjust pelters he received on here and at Ibrox. The weight of winning a game or turning a game round placed solely on his young shoulders, and lambasted when he doesn't.

He'll be in the EPL at one point and probably move there for a hefty sum. More fool us. This was Pedro's worst action as manager.

I couldn't have put it better myself mate, gutted he's not still with us.

I felt at the time he was worth at least a million quid. McKay doesn't have the heart to be a really great player in my opinion but as mentioned above he's better than Windass.

I still hope Rangers can find a left sided midfielder better than both of them.

Hindsight is a great tool, but I wonder if McKay would still be a Rangers player had Pedro been a bit less confrontational.

He' not even guaranteed a game for Forest.

One area I hope Rangers get stronger is our ability to negotiate better deals for ourselves when selling players. We've a poor track record at this for the most part.
We've been saying this for decades and we are shambolic still.

Anyone with half a brain can see how good McKay is, playing in a rubbish team with zero potency, creating a plethora of chances over the course of a season and a strike force with the lowest chance conversion rate in the league.

Pedro comes in, sickens most of the team and then sells our main asset for pennies. If we had a decent manager then McKay might've stayed, who knows but I'm telling you, McKay will go for £15m in a year or two, possibly even more.

It was a disgraceful piece of business, the fee recouped was nothing short of scandalous.

Yes his attitude at times was poor and inconsistency was a problem, however he had undoubted talent and on his day he was a match winner.

Clubs in the Championship down there can pay 10-15 million pounds for players. I'm not suggesting McKay was worth anywhere near that, however we should have asked for at least 1.5 million.

Agent is talking p***. He as turned out a decent signing for Forest but before he left us he was utter gash with nothing more than potential. He was a risk for them.

Anybody with half a brain knows a genuine football manager would have played the McKay situation better whatever way he wanted it to go.

Still the Pedro apologists will continue to tell us the earth is flat.

Still gutted we punted him so cheaply.

McKay does frustrate but he is a match winner and our squad really lacks that atm.

That's nonsense mate. All 3 managers that season didn't fancy him at times they were in charge. He rarely showed anything last season

A bit of a false headline. The Agents comments seem to indicate they would have paid more for McKay had he of been playing for Rangers 1st team and considered more of an asset by the club but why would we play him if he didn't want to stay long term

In the end Pedro seen through McKays attitude and his refusal to not sign up and brought in a more complete player in the form of candaias

McKay is in his first season with forest. I'm sure in time he'll show himself up to be the half arsed, will give you 15 decent game a season player that we all grew to know

Candeias was not a replacement for McKay. Dalcio was the replacement. The article states clearly (and I know it could be a lie) that McKay said on 4 separate meetings that he wanted to stay. Pedro made an arse of this one.

McKay was offered a new deal to stay at Rangers, that deal still left him as the poorest paid first team player.

Whether his performances warranted a better deal I am not sure, but it wasn't exactly the move of a club trying to nurture and look after one of our better players. From what I hear Forest treated him like a king, helping get a house sorted, a totally night and day experience.

Another shocking commercial decision to let him go for bargain basement money, lets just hope that they have included a sell on fee. Somehow though since there's been no mention of this I kind of suspect that our commercial lads just wanted him off the books.

If McKay was inconsistent (and he was), wtf is Windass?

Edit: or whisper it...Dalcio?

Mental that we downgraded so much for 500k.

who are you talking to pedro?

everyone is aware of windass shortfalls and poor levels but right now he is the only option that will change come January

McKay had the potential to be a great player we signed lesser quality players than him for more Money.
No one at the Club seems to know too much about Football.
No surprise we let him go for less money either it's what we seem to do now that or pay players and managers off.

Thought he was a fantastic player very skilful and entertaining with bucketloads of potential but that is what it boiled down too he didn't Want to be at Ibrox playing for Rangers.

Its my understanding that had he not been treated like a lady's front bottom and offered a salary commensurate with his position in the squad and performances then he would very much still be a Rangers player.

McKay was so desperate to stay that he refused to sign a new contract under Pedro and Warburton.

He's well suited to a team where there's no pressure to perform every week.

Just mischief making and 2 fingers up to us really.

McKay’s better suited to Forest than he was to a big club anyway. He has a tendency to shite his pants when the going gets tough, that’s not a great trait to have in at a club where you’re expected to win all the time.
Not a great idea for an agent to start cutting his nose off to spite one of his biggest potential revenue streams..

Back