Barrie McKays Agent Says Forrest Would Have Payed Double The Price For Him

Everything you post these days is quite clearly based on the notion poor Pedro was just a victim of circumstance and if things were different it would have all been a lot nicer.

The guy has taken a small fortune out of the club and is easily amongst the most unsuitable managers ever to sit in the manager's chair.

I think you should get this clear.
I didn't appoint Pedro.
I had honestly never heard of him until he was appointed by the Rangers Board.

However, I have never been much inclined to be a pack animal rushing in to kick a man when he is weakened and fallen and open to vicious attack.
He ultimately failed, and my appraisal of him is as honest in my own opinion can be, absence the vitriol that others feel the need to expend.
He leaves us strengthened in many respects.
How much we are better off, perhaps the rest of the season will inform us.

This thread is about Mackay.
A player who I had defended on this forum on too many occasions to mention.

However, I am no longer inclined to do so.
He is now of no real concern to me.
However, I wish him no ill either.

However, the lie on here now, is that Mackay wanted to stay at Rangers and he was forced to leave by a manager who didn't rate him, and who lost Rangers money through not playing a player who didn't much care if he actually played.

Ridiculous in the extreme.
Even for you, if you care to espouse it?

Pedro left us fourth in the league
Humiliated at Hampden and out of Europe to plumbers.

JJ basically signed our best player this summer.

Thanks for beating St Johnstone

People can still try and make "justified" digs at him.

The fact of the matter is, he was our most valuable asset and we let him go for next to nothing.

I was stunned at the time people were happy to take the amount we got rather than nothing.

At a crucial point in his career, we would have been better keeping him and playing him at his best hopefully whilst he was potentially playing for his career. Maybe even managing to convince him to stay or sign a contract to get us some extra coin down the road.

I wanted Pedro to succeed although this huge error and the europa exit will probably now be the two things I remember him for.

You are rewriting history yourself there

Immense in the Cup Semi final with a wonder strike to cap it off

Was dangerous in the 5-1 defeat, flashing a shot wide of the post after the second half - the only player apart from Windass that looked like doing damage that day

Tore Lustig a new one in the New Year game

Basically he was our only player who they were afraid of. Yes, he had a poor game in the 1-1 draw

But rewriting history would be suggesting all he did against them was score a goal

Just checked the clocks and it's after midnight in Scotland the Buckie must have taken a hammering tonight.

McKay was so desperate to stay that he refused to sign a new contract under Pedro and Warburton.

He's well suited to a team where there's no pressure to perform every week.

Aye?

The fans know nothing although if the situation was as I understand it was, I would do exactly the same.

If you're the clubs best player and most valuable assets, you demand to be treated like that.

Last edited:
Aye?

The fans know nothing although if the situation was as I understand it was, I would do exactly the same.

If you're the clubs best player and most valuable assets, you demand to be treated like that.

Baz wanted to stay but the contract offer he was given would have had him on half the money Niko is on. Or 5k a week less than Garner.

Of course he's not going to sign that if he has a brain cell.

But the staunch brigade on here would play for Rangers for nothing so he should be happy with any offer even if it doesn't come anywhere near to his true value. He doesn't have mortgages to worry about or investments etc like everyone else :rolleyes:

Mckay chucked it under Pedro?

Came on at Thistle and got us back in the game with a great goal.

Scored winner against Hearts at Ibrox.

Pedro didn't rate him or Hyndman.

Mckay chucked it under Pedro?

Came on at Thistle and got us back in the game with a great goal.

Scored winner against Hearts at Ibrox.

Pedro didn't rate him or Hyndman.

The decline in Hyndman after the fraud came in was unbelievable. A young guy who you could visibly see the confidence draining from week by week.

He could have been a superb player for us.

Imagine Hyndman, Jack and Dorrans as our midfield 3?

The decline in Hyndman after the fraud came in was unbelievable. A young guy who you could visibly see the confidence draining from week by week.

He could have been a superb player for us.

Imagine Hyndman, Jack and Dorrans as our midfield 3?

Was there a game last year Pedro didn't make at least one change at half-time?

It works once every few months as a kick up the arse etc.
generally players hate it along with getting brought on with minutes remaining.

Continually making changes after 45 = picking the wrong team.

Was there a game last year Pedro didn't make at least one change at half-time?

It works once every few months as a kick up the arse etc.
generally players hate it along with getting brought on with minutes remaining.

Continually making changes after 45 = picking the wrong team.

Aye but it was all part of his plan and he was experimenting.

What a time to be alive on FF :rolleyes:

Knew that once BM had left that an attempt at rewriting history would be made

Truth is, BM clearly didn’t want to stay

Folk blaming Pedro is laughable as well given that he was even dropped for a spell under MW.

His body language was appalling and he often looked like he’d rather be anywhere else than on the park.

The home game to Thistle last season I think it was, McKay was a disgrace. Didn’t look interested and constantly hiding. It reminded me of Burke’s showing in the semi against Dundee Utd. Pretty sure BM was hooked at HT as well.

Sure he was capable of occasional bits of class but nowhere near consistent enough. Could count on one hand the number of genuine superb performances he put in last season and for me, he was as bad as some of the other shite we got rid of.

Also read a stat the other week that Candeias either has the same assists or more, as BM did in a full season.

Knew that once BM had left that an attempt at rewriting history would be made

Truth is, BM clearly didn’t want to stay

Folk blaming Pedro is laughable as well given that he was even dropped for a spell under MW.

His body language was appalling and he often looked like he’d rather be anywhere else than on the park.

The home game to Thistle last season I think it was, McKay was a disgrace. Didn’t look interested and constantly hiding. It reminded me of Burke’s showing in the semi against Dundee Utd. Pretty sure BM was hooked at HT as well.

Sure he was capable of occasional bits of class but nowhere near consistent enough. Could count on one hand the number of genuine superb performances he put in last season and for me, he was as bad as some of the other shite we got rid of.

Also read a stat the other week that Candeias either has the same assists or more, as BM did in a full season.

Warburton took McKay out the team to take some of the pressure of him for a period of time in my opinion.

As for that assist statistic, the amount of chances he created with a bit of imagination is vastly overlooked. That little clip in between players or burst past defenders could unlock defences numerous times. You can also throw the amount of chances which were missed whilst he was setting them up.

To suggest he was anywhere near the rest of the dyer calibre of players we were watching last year is ridiculous.

Candeias couldn't lace his boots.

Last January on Sky Sports News there were reports that EPL Clubs were interested in him. Round about the same time he was absolutely immense in the Old Firm Hogmanny game at Ibrox and Leipzig away.
Did they put in an offer?
If not they clearly weren't very interested as 500k is pocket money to them
Or are you saying that they were interested but we're put off because Pedro dropped him
They therefore trusted Pedro's judgment above their scouts

Sorry, but I would much rather McKay on the left to Windass.

500k was, and still is, criminal.

Just another relationship Pedro failed with.

I agree with this. Anyone that saw Mckay in 2015 would know he had considerably more ability than the rest of the players and would be worth a bit more effort (if only to extract a fair price from his sale).

Another on to file under bad management.

Baz wanted to stay but the contract offer he was given would have had him on half the money Niko is on. Or 5k a week less than Garner.

Of course he's not going to sign that if he has a brain cell.

But the staunch brigade on here would play for Rangers for nothing so he should be happy with any offer even if it doesn't come anywhere near to his true value. He doesn't have mortgages to worry about or investments etc like everyone else :rolleyes:

McKay was rejecting contract offers from Rangers BEFORE we’d even signed Kranjcar and Garner mate.

Even those offered by his ‘mentor’ Warburton who, you’d assume, had a good idea of his worth to Rangers.

McKay was 'working his ticket' long before Caixinha came on the scene. As I said earlier, the only person who 'drove' Barrie McKay out of Ibrox was Barrie McKay.

We got a low fee because it was apparent he was running down his contract, interest was limited and yes - to a degree - because he'd been ditched from the first team. The latter point, I feel, made only a small difference to the fee we received, given the limited interest in the player. That's not a defence of Caixinha, its a recognition of the small part he played, but McKay was on his way out even if MW (his mentor) stayed and Caixinha hadn't happened. He'd made that clear by rejecting contract offers from Warburton. As far as I could tell, he wanted OUT of Ibrox, simple as that.

Last edited:
Barry didn't seem to fancy it when the going got tough at least some of the time but it was obvious that he had ability and players with ability and under contract should not be shipped out so cheaply.

I hope we get a decent percentage of any sell on.

Is Morelos the most talented player Colombia has produced in the last ten years?

Or just decent striker capable of coming in and playing at the level we are?

I think he's excellent and capable of playing at a far better level than us

Outside interest is never reflective of a players actual worth

I think he's excellent and capable of playing at a far better level than us

Outside interest is never reflective of a players actual worth

It’s precisely reflective. You can claim a player is worth whatever you want. If nobody pays it, he ain’t worth that amount.

Warburton took McKay out the team to take some of the pressure of him for a period of time in my opinion.

As for that assist statistic, the amount of chances he created with a bit of imagination is vastly overlooked. That little clip in between players or burst past defenders could unlock defences numerous times. You can also throw the amount of chances which were missed whilst he was setting them up.

To suggest he was anywhere near the rest of the dyer calibre of players we were watching last year is ridiculous.

Candeias couldn't lace his boots.

So MW didn’t take him out the team as he was playing terrible?

Again, more excuses for BM. His fan boys seem to blame everyone else but him.

Going away to hard away grounds, BM is one of the last players I’d want in my team when the going gets tough.

Would much rather have Candeias in my side than BM. Someone that can create chances and works his arse off defensively as well and gets involved rather than looking like he can’t be arsed.

My point relating to last seasons dross players- I know BM had talent but I could count on one hand the number of good games he had hence why I said he was just as poor and as much to blame as the rest of the dross for how poor we were last year

I wasn't meaning worth literally, as in value. I should have said talent

And talent is only valuable if realised consistently enough on the pitch. A great many bears will tell you he had talent but was frustratingly inconsistent for years under many managers.

You can’t price him based on that.

The reason he (and us) had one offer on the table is that other clubs evidently didn’t think he had shown enough on the park to justify bidding. And that’s at a supposedly criminally low value.

Of course, we could do as Timmy does and pretend to ourselves that there was a load of other interest and clubs lining up to pay a fortune that we just never heard about in the papers (come on tae fck...)

Or we could admit that ultimately Barrie was always going for a low fee once he got into that final stage of an expiring contract and it was clear he and the club weren’t going to agree on an extension.

He now has a new opportunity in his career to actually find consistency that gets him the deals he thinks he’s worth. Again, good luck to him, but imho he was never going to do it at Rangers and we were never going to realise the kind of transfer fees some folk think we could have.

And talent is only valuable if realised consistently enough on the pitch. A great many bears will tell you he had talent but was frustratingly inconsistent for years under many managers.

You can’t price him based on that.

The reason he (and us) had one offer on the table is that other clubs evidently didn’t think he had shown enough on the park to justify bidding. And that’s at a supposedly criminally low value.

Of course, we could do as Timmy does and pretend to ourselves that there was a load of other interest and clubs lining up to pay a fortune that we just never heard about in the papers (come on tae fck...)

Or we could admit that ultimately Barrie was always going for a low fee once he got into that final stage of an expiring contract and it was clear he and the club weren’t going to agree on an extension.

He now has a new opportunity in his career to actually find consistency that gets him the deals he thinks he’s worth. Again, good luck to him, but imho he was never going to do it at Rangers and we were never going to realise the kind of transfer fees some folk think we could have.

We've had this debate before I'm sure, mate. There was rumored interest in him from other clubs back in January. Who knows - he literally owes his entire career to Mark Warburton and Davie Weir. Maybe he wanted to reunite with them. In any case, we don't know for sure who wanted him and who didn't. What I will say is that, if Warburton and Weir didn't come in for him, I very much doubt he would be languishing in our reserves come transfer deadline day. His agent would have got him another club no bother

Regardless, I think we can all agree that hopefully we've included some kind of sell on clause in the deal. If he keeps up his current form, he'll be going for a hefty fee in either January or the summer

The charge of the Pedro apologists continues.....it is reeking out of them.

Anybody think if we played McKay versus Proges we would have stayed in Europe. I have my hand up. We could have sold him after that.
No. He wouldn't have risked injuring himself

Remember BFs performance before he left for Blackburn?

McKay was rejecting contract offers from Rangers BEFORE we’d even signed Kranjcar and Garner mate.

Even those offered by his ‘mentor’ Warburton who, you’d assume, had a good idea of his worth to Rangers.

McKay was 'working his ticket' long before Caixinha came on the scene. As I said earlier, the only person who 'drove' Barrie McKay out of Ibrox was Barrie McKay.

We got a low fee because it was apparent he was running down his contract, interest was limited and yes - to a degree - because he'd been ditched from the first team. The latter point, I feel, made only a small difference to the fee we received, given the limited interest in the player. That's not a defence of Caixinha, its a recognition of the small part he played, but McKay was on his way out even if MW (his mentor) stayed and Caixinha hadn't happened. he'd made that clear by rejecting contract offers from Warburton. As far as I could tell, he wanted OUT of Ibrox, simple as that.

Because the offer made to him by the club wasn't acceptable and didn't reflect his worth to the squad.

It's as much the club's fault as it is anyone else's that he left but Pedro's treatment of him only went to devalue him further. I said as much on here at the time.

It's an absolute disgrace be wasn't involved in those Progres games when so much money was at stake for the club.

Because the offer made to him by the club wasn't acceptable and didn't reflect his worth to the squad.

It's as much the club's fault as it is anyone else's that he left but Pedro's treatment of him only went to devalue him further. I said as much on here at the time.

It's an absolute disgrace be wasn't involved in those Progres games when so much money was at stake for the club.

OK - I can accept the argument that the offer came from the Club rather than the Manager. However, unless we are working in really strange ways it's the Manager who goes to the Board and advises them what a players 'worth to the squad' is, to use your terminology. You'd hope that any offer put to McKay was based on MWs assessment of him. No?

At the end of the day, the Manager is surely saying 'give him this amount per week or if he leaves and you have to give me 10 times that to replace him'. No Board is going to reject that advice.

You are right Caixinha handled it badly - but too many are wanting to use McKay's departure (and this thread) as a stick to beat Caixinha. Truth is, McKay rejected multiple contract offers whilst MW was Manager, whilst Murty was in temporary charge and whilst Caixinha was in charge. That, very much, suggests to me a player who had made up his mind long before Caixinha came on the scene and, indeed, long before he signed just the 12 months extension to his existing contract under MW. With hindsight, we should have sold him on the back of his semi-final goal against the Dhims.

He's a talented player who didn't want to be here. He's not the first and he won't be the last.

Last edited:
OK - I can accept the argument that the offer came from the Club rather than the Manager. However, unless we are working in really strange ways it's the Manager who goes to the Board and advises them what a players 'worth to the squad' is, to use your terminology. You'd hope that any offer put to McKay was based on MWs assessment of him. No?

At the end of the day, the Manager is surely saying 'give him this amount per week or if he leaves and you have to give me 10 times that to replace him'. No Board is going to reject that advice.

You are right Caixinha handled it badly - but too many are wanting to use McKay's departure (and this thread) as a stick to beat Caixinha. Truth is, McKay rejected multiple contract offers whilst MW was Manager, whilst Murty was in temporary charge and whilst Caixinha was in charge. That, very much, suggests to me a player who had made up his mind long before Caixinha came on the scene and, indeed, long before he signed just the 12 months extension to his existing contract under MW. With hindsight, we should have sold him on the back of his semi-final goal against the Dhims.

He's a talented player who didn't want to be here. He's not the first and he won't be the last.

The manager would advise on the players worth to the club of course but ultimately he's not the one involved in the numbers.

I don't blame McKay really when he wasn't getting offered parity with the other top players in the squad.

It doesn't mean it couldn't have been resolved though, it's not uncommon for players to reject contract offers and then eventually sign, it's called negotiating.

McKay wanted Niko money
10k plus bonuses.

a touch more than Wallace which can't happen I heard Robertson said.

We go and give the two Mexicans 34k between them lol

The manager would advise on the players worth to the club of course but ultimately he's not the one involved in the numbers.

I don't blame McKay really when he wasn't getting offered parity with the other top players in the squad.

It doesn't mean it couldn't have been resolved though, it's not uncommon for players to reject contract offers and then eventually sign, it's called negotiating.

I have no idea what McKay was earning or, indeed, what he was offered. If the Manager (MW) viewed him as one of the 'top players' at the Club I'd expect him to advise the Board to negotiate with McKay's Agent on that basis. Either he didn't - or the Board chose to ignore the Managers advice. Maybe you have inside info the rest of us are not privy too. If so, then fine, your argument stands up. However, I know which scenario appears the most likely and it's not yours.

To 'negotiate' you need 2 parties who are seeking compromise or it's doomed to failure. You may wish to go to your Boss and ask for an increase in salary. If he says he will give you an extra £20 a week and you say you want an extra £200 a week then there is no basis for negotiation. It's doomed to failure. McKay - or his Agent - were not seeking to negotiate, they were looking at his next move - and had been for some time. A quote from you on the 'statement' thread: 'There is negotiating and then there is just taking the piss.';)

Quite honestly this thread is going round in circles. McKay is gone. Why are we still 'fighting' over him? He's history. I wish him no ill and hope he has a successful career.

Last edited:
I have no idea what McKay was earning or, indeed, what he was offered. If the Manager (MW) viewed him as one of the 'top players' at the Club I'd expect him to advise the Board to negotiate with McKay's Agent on that basis. Either he didn't - or the Board chose to ignore the Managers advice. Maybe you have inside info the rest of us are not privy too. If so, then fine, your argument stands up. However, I know which scenario appears the most likely and it's not yours.

To 'negotiate' you need 2 parties who are seeking compromise or it's doomed to failure. You may wish to go to your Boss and ask for an increase in salary. If he says he will give you an extra £20 a week and you say you want an extra £200 a week then there is no basis for negotiation. It's doomed to failure. McKay - or his Agent - were not seeking to negotiate, they were looking at his next move - and had been for some time.

Quite honestly this thread is going round in circles. McKay is gone. Why are we still 'fighting' over him? He's history. I wish him no ill and hope he has a successful career.
Pedro just didn't rate Barrie or Hyndman

McKay wanted Niko money
10k plus bonuses.

a touch more than Wallace which can't happen I heard Robertson said.

We go and give the two Mexicans 34k between them lol

Imagine how much further forward we would be in our rebuild just now if we had kept McKay and used the money spent on the Mexicans on the likes of Naismith, McGinn, Shinnie or McLean and Moult?

500k was low but we weren’t in a strong bargaining position after putting him in the youths, agent is just on the windup with that comment now, a few weeks back and forest were struggling, suddenly the win a few games and McKay is a world beater

Barrie McKay seems to have been like every other player at Ibrox-didn't make much of Pedro.

In my honest opinion a good manager would have went back to the board and went I will develop this guy-he's the most talented player we have-there's work to do and he needs to adapt/improve but it's a risk we should take.

Pedro played one card-I have a mess left-let's get rid of the majority.

Now in my opinion much of what he has brought in has been decent-Cardoso and the Mexicans have struggled indeed if we had invested the 5M elsewhere we would have been in a pretty strong position but I get every signing can't be a success.

Those talking up Pedro on this factor need to realise 2 things.
1) It was big investment way way beyond what his predecessors had
2) Most of "his" picks i.e the players he really wanted from personal experience haven't done well at all.

Barrie McKay seems to have been like every other player at Ibrox-didn't make much of Pedro.

In my honest opinion a good manager would have went back to the board and went I will develop this guy-he's the most talented player we have-there's work to do and he needs to adapt/improve but it's a risk we should take.

Pedro played one card-I have a mess left-let's get rid of the majority.

Now in my opinion much of what he has brought in has been decent-Cardoso and the Mexicans have struggled indeed if we had invested the 5M elsewhere we would have been in a pretty strong position but I get every signing can't be a success.

Those talking up Pedro on this factor need to realise 2 things.
1) It was big investment way way beyond what his predecessors had
2) Most of "his" picks i.e the players he really wanted from personal experience haven't done well at all.

I feel like a Caixinha apologist on this thread - and I'm not, believe me. Honest Guv'nor. I have no wish to 'talk him up' or otherwise.

Caixinha made an arse of how he dealt with McKay. No question, no arguments from me. That does not negate the fact that others, Warburton included, had failed to see to it that Mckay was offered the contract he wanted.

Was that because Warburton thought the contract Mckay was offered was appropriate? If not, then the only conclusion is that the Club ignored the Manager's assessment of the players worth to the squad and decided to offer substantially less.

Either way, it's clear the problem with McKay goes back to before Caixinha's time so lets not dump (all) the blame on him.

Back to Caixinha again - McKay was rejecting contracts from Warburton's time. As has been stated repeatedly throughout this thread. McKay wanted out.

Stuart Armstrong was rejecting contracts at Celtic a few months ago before signing a deal that he was happy with. It's simplistic to say he wanted out simply because he wasn't happy with his contract offer.

Like most bears on here, I was shocked and disappointed by the whole Barrie McKay affair, especially as to the poor fee we sold him for. I only hope there is an add on clause in the deal.

I feel like a Caixinha apologist on this thread - and I'm not, believe me. Honest Guv'nor. I have no wish to 'talk him up' or otherwise.

Caixinha made an arse of how he dealt with McKay. No question, no arguments from me. That does not negate the fact that others, Warburton included, had failed to see to it that Mckay was offered the contract he wanted.

Was that because Warburton thought the contract Mckay was offered was appropriate? If not, then the only conclusion is that the Club ignored the Manager's assessment of the players worth to the squad and decided to offer substantially less.

Either way, it's clear the problem with McKay goes back to before Caixinha's time so lets not dump (all) the blame on him.

I get that said that at the time-the McKay situation was well developed before Pedro got here and a section of the support hated him-the abuse was getting that bad.

However when you get into the man management aspect of Pedro it's another aspect that looked piss poor-there are countless tales of how poorly he treated the players.

The very fact post-Progres he had to take the players out for lunch told you everything you need to know.
Anybody with even the faintest of contacts knows that Pedro was seen as "odd" not long after he arrived. This was known at all levels and the ITK's getting a kicking on here preseason were merely recounting common knowledge. That's why the Press went for him as well they knew he was on thin ice.

The club were in a difficult position, he didn't want to sign a new deal and there was the risk of losing him for nothing.
He is quite clearly a player with ability, but he's also a confidence player (like most wingers) and needs a reassuring arm around him, probably more than others. I also think he struggled the demands of playing for Rangers, as fans we get on our player's backs quicker than others, which I suppose comes with the territory of playing for a massive club.
One of Pedro's many failings was man management, if we had another manager in who knew how to handle players better could it have worked out different? Maybe. All could have, would have and should haves though.

There would be no contract signed and whether that was due to him simply wanting away, or to us not offering enough, it makes absolutely no difference. Contracts were offered and rejected.

That put us in an 'either/or' situation; either we let him run down his contract or we take whatever cash is on offer. If there is only a single bid for £500k on offer, we either take it or let him go for free.

An agent bumping his gums in the press, basically saying 'look how fucking great I am at this agent malarky' does not change any of the facts in the McKay transfer story.

Back