Barry Ferguson - Throw the kitchen sink at bringing Billy Gilmour back to Rangers.

Gilmour would be good on a loan to buy 1 season on loan and option to buy for X (would need to be a fair bit less than the £10m they paid for him)

personally i don't see it happening as he will have other interest if he was to become available.

Supposedly on £65k a week. Totally out of our range.
Exactly, no way is he going to play for 20/30k, possible he would be a season loan,but that would be costly, as Brighton would want to recoup some of there outlay.
Whatever his salary is, it will be much more than our players get.

Sick of continually reading this about Gilmour. I have absolutely no ill feeling towards him and would like to see him do well, but the idea we should take a player who’s probably on £40k a week back as it’s not worked out for him when he’s never kicked a ball for us is just ludicrous. Far more has been made of this lad in the absence of evidence he’d work out for us at the costs he’d demand.
Internet messageboards aren't for you my friend :)

Wild speculation, tenuous (often tedious) links and day-dreaming are the inevitable purview of your average bored fan at work :D

If we could get him on loan he would be a fantastic signing.

The mention of his value is nigh on redundant considering we currently have a player signed for 11 million on our books and Celtic had a player on loan who had been signed for 15 million.

Can’t see it happening. We have the Tilman deal to hopefully complete, New keeper, Strikers and goodness knows how many other players needed? I would like Gilmour but we have other areas desperately needing changed.

We'd be getting a modern-day Barry Ferguson and someone we could build the team around for years to come.

If we're serious about closing the gap then Gilmour's exactly the quality of player we must bring in.
Gilmour is 21 and can't get in the Brighton team.

At 21, Ferguson was running the show against Bayern Munich in the Champion's League.

No comparison. Barry the player was miles in front of Gilmour.
Shame he's turned into such a joke figure.

Gilmour would be good on a loan to buy 1 season on loan and option to buy for X (would need to be a fair bit less than the £10m they paid for him)

personally i don't see it happening as he will have other interest if he was to become available.

He'll go to another club and quickly won't be a 1st team regular, which is par for the course for him.

He doesn't improve our midfield.

He'll go to another club and quickly won't be a 1st team regular, which is par for the course for him.

He doesn't improve our midfield.

If we are saying the midfield 3 is Jack Cantwell Raskin - you don't think Billy Gilmour is a better option than any those 3? assumedly he would take the Jack role in the system we play.

First time in a while I’ve agreed with Barry. I don’t know if Gilmour is doable but we should be making attempts to make it happen.

Personally I’d even be willing to sacrifice a new deal for Jack to subsidise this although I’m aware others might not agree.

I remember at the end of last year his uncle said he was settled there, had just bought a house, and had been told by the new manager that he was in his plans and would get game time. Game time has happened though, he's barely played. It's a tough team to get into and they'll only strengthen in the summer. I imagine a loan deal is likely and i'd take him in a heartbeat if it was possible.

No thanks Barry , couldn’t hold down a place at Chelsea( no disgrace), in the words of a Norwich fan I know “ was the worst player I have seen in years” and has disappeared at Brighton.
The Norwich fan did comment that Cantwell and him did not get on whether that is true or not I don’t know but I wouldn’t even risk it.

If we could get him on loan he would be a fantastic signing.

The mention of his value is nigh on redundant considering we currently have a player signed for 11 million on our books and Celtic had a player on loan who had been signed for 15 million.

And we signed a player on loan who was on 600k a week at his parent club.

Gilmour has really stagnated and it all comes down to one bad move he made to Norwich. If he can regain his confidence then his ability will start to do the talking and he would be a major asset to our team and squad.

If we are saying the midfield 3 is Jack Cantwell Raskin - you don't think Billy Gilmour is a better option than any those 3? assumedly he would take the Jack role in the system we play.

Not for me mate

Yet another player who shone above his peers throughout age group football and hasn't progressed at all, in the past couple of years.

His career has completely stalled and there's no guarantee he can develop further.

Gilmour has done nothing to suggest he's good enough

He'll be 22 this year. No longer a kid. Struggled at Chelsea, Norwich and now Brighton. Never made himself a regular at club or country.

Never say never, but at this moment? We should have higher ambitions.

"If I was in charge of recruitment at Rangers, I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at trying to give him something to think about. They'd be crazy not to give it a shot."

images

Barry Ferguson takes a lot of stick here on Follow Follow, but he's bang on the money this time. Rangers should be doing absolutely everything in their power to try and get Gilmour back to Ibrox.

And if we're serious about toppling Celtic next season, why not try and get Scott McTominay on loan while we're at it?

Raskin, McTominay and Gilmour - Now that's a midfield 3 that could take us back to the top.
And what would you know about football recruitment, Barry?
You are just another failed manager. That's why you're scribbling for a sh1te newspaper! :(

Can we not just let this go?

Why the fascination with him, is it because he came through our youth academy? He's really not that good a player. Ofcourse he's decent, but he's really not the player he's made out to be on here.

I love how people use ‘Can’t hold down a place at Brighton’ as if they’re still some shitey 2nd Division club.

He’s currently competing with Mac Allister (a World Cup winner) and Caicedo (valued at 55 million and being linked with just about every big club in the EPL).

An initial loan with an agreed transfer fee in a year is the only way it might be feasible. If that was an option I'd be all over it.

Gilmour has done nothing to suggest he's good enough

He'll be 22 this year. No longer a kid. Struggled at Chelsea, Norwich and now Brighton. Never made himself a regular at club or country.

Never say never, but at this moment? We should have higher ambitions.

Do you rate Todd Cantwell?

Can I talk you through his career?

He is 25 and had struggled at Norwich, Bournmouth and Fortuna Sittard, three of those clubs are seen as no where near the level of talent Brighton and Chelsea have or the respect of level of recruitment those sides have

Sorry if this is breaking news, we don't sign perfect football players, not even close to it in all honesty, you could feasibly look at the CV of most players we sign prior to their arrival and make a case for them being p*sh if you really wished to do that with them

Spend our entire budget on Gilmour? Very good.

Also, McTominay is a mentally challenged and is never signing for us.

If he can't get a game at Brighton where you would expect him to be the main central midfielder, maybe he doesn't have what it takes? Certainly not on a consistent basis?

Don't see enough of him but maybe it's just not there.

If he can't get a game at Brighton where you would expect him to be the main central midfielder

A team like us.

Because one of the players who generally plays before him at Brighton will feasibly join a side like Chelsea or Arsenal for about 70 million pounds and the players Brighton have across the board are generally miles better than most of ours and Raskin aside not one of our midfielders would even get near joining Brighton (and even at that, they could have signed him had they wanted) let alone them spending 10 million on them?

Look at the career of our best CB prior to joining us

I love how a club legend regularly gets slaughtered for simply giving his opinion.

While I agree Barry isn’t the brightest it’s not exactly an outrageous suggestion he is making.

But some seem to just get triggered at the very mention of his name, no matter what he is saying, and rush in to tell him to feck off.

"If I was in charge of recruitment at Rangers, I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at trying to give him something to think about. They'd be crazy not to give it a shot."

images

Barry Ferguson takes a lot of stick here on Follow Follow, but he's bang on the money this time. Rangers should be doing absolutely everything in their power to try and get Gilmour back to Ibrox.

And if we're serious about toppling Celtic next season, why not try and get Scott McTominay on loan while we're at it?

Raskin, McTominay and Gilmour - Now that's a midfield 3 that could take us back to the top.
Agree to a point - the finances need to stack up though.

'Throwing the kitchen sink' generally means paying over the odds.

We've been throwing millions at absolute tits like Matondo and many others.

Let's talk to Brighton and see if there's any way we can bring him back to Rangers.

He's a player that we could build our entire future around.
In a nutshell, we spunked nearly £7m on a matondo and full back who’s played 3 games and second choice.

We've been throwing millions at absolute tits like Matondo and many others.

Let's talk to Brighton and see if there's any way we can bring him back to Rangers.

He's a player that we could build our entire future around.
We've hardly seen Matondo - Calling him a tit is out of order.

Do you rate Todd Cantwell?

Can I talk you through his career?

He is 25 and had struggled at Norwich, Bournmouth and Fortuna Sittard, three of those clubs are seen as no where near the level of talent Brighton and Chelsea have or the respect of level of recruitment those sides have

Sorry if this is breaking news, we don't sign perfect football players, not even close to it in all honesty, you could feasibly look at the CV of most players we sign prior to their arrival and make a case for them being p*sh if you really wished to do that with them
A fair point, but Cantwell was available on the cheap. It doesn't sound like Gilmour will be. Makes it a riskier move.

Could Gilmour be as successful as Cantwell? Yes undoubtedly its possible - but we're clearly constrained on budget - we can't really afford a hit & hope strategy here.

For Rangers itd be a no brainer but I suspect Brighton have other ideas and if they do want to loan him itd be to a League more comparable to the EPL since thats where hed be playing for them.

Also a ? over whether Gilmour himself would want to come back even on loan.

I agree with Barry though, if Rangers feel a move is possible then go all out to make it happen.

Internet messageboards aren't for you my friend :)

Wild speculation, tenuous (often tedious) links and day-dreaming are the inevitable purview of your average bored fan at work :D
You’re right and who am I to deny such purview! Especially when my boredom is only round the corner!

For Rangers itd be a no brainer but I suspect Brighton have other ideas and if they do want to loan him itd be to a League more comparable to the EPL since thats where hed be playing for them.

Also a ? over whether Gilmour himself would want to come back even on loan.

I agree with Barry though, if Rangers feel a move is possible then go all out to make it happen.
I'd hope Brighton would see loaning to us as either a way to get the guy's confidence back or a route to selling him on.

Gilmour offers nothing going forwards, we don't need midfielders like that in the Scottish Premiership.

We need midfielders that can defend and attack. I'd think Lewis Ferguson would have been a better option than Gilmour as he actually offers a bit going forwards.

Gilmour offers nothing going forwards, we don't need midfielders like that in the Scottish Premiership.

He plays a comparable style of football to Steven Davis who was named player of the year in a season when we went undefeated

He plays a comparable style of football to Callum McGregor who was named player of the season in Scotland last year.

We'd be getting a modern-day Barry Ferguson and someone we could build the team around for years to come.

If we're serious about closing the gap then Gilmour's exactly the quality of player we must bring in.
Well done for avoiding the question of finance. If we are that serious we should ask the question about Bellingham.

Back