Barry Ferguson's best game for Rangers

I am struggling to pick one Gers game tbh. Probably Bayern or Parma at home.

But, the performance he gave at Wembley up against Scholes and Beckham was flawless. The pride I had that night that Rangers player dominated a England v Scotland game was off the scale.

Two games stand out for me.
Playing Lothar Matthaus off the off the pitch in 1999.
Or
Being the star man when Scotland won at Wembley the same year
Truly brilliant that night.
Against Scholes. for one.
For Rangers though, the op's selection has to be up there.

Before opening thread my immediate thought was Parma.

I wish to %^*& we had someone like him these days. Incredible player for us.

Totally dominated Riquilme that night
That’s right - I’ve said many times that Riquelme performance at Ibrox in the first leg is the best I’ve witnessed by an opponent, he was simply majestic.

In the second leg over there, he never kicked a ball. Ferguson was similarly outstanding. It’ll be a long while before we have such a died in wool talent come through the ranks.

I’d need to have more of a think to come up one I find to be the best, but Ferguson really did have a lot of brilliant games against real top class opposition. I’ve seen him play some of Europe’s best midfielders off the park.

Can't really recall a particular game but remember during an old firm game when we were winning, he was the only player with a calm head who held on to the ball for more than a few seconds.

Barry takes a lot of flack from the Bears, but by god we could do with his like these days. Even when he wasn't on form he was still driving the team.

If is unfair. I think he is up there with our greatest.

His leadership and passion was undoubted, and his ball retention was up their with iniesta and xavi. His ability to change direction, change pace, to take the ball with him and draw a foul or make space to take the pressure off was always there and invaluable.

In later years, particularly after his return the bursting runs into the oppositions box that got us off our feet drid up, but he remained an absolutely class player. Can't believe he didn't do better than Blackburn down south where by all accounts he was a standout for years.

Not his greatest game, but in the treble season 2002-03 he scored a hat trick in a home game v Dundee United and was magnificent.

I backed him for 1st goal and us to win 3-0 with a tenner and odds of 12/1. The last 10 minutes was not easy not wanting us to score or letting Utd get a consolation goal.

Some truly tremendous performance by a quality player.

He was also absolutely key to Scotland seeing it out in Paris.

When you think hard about it ,it’s a really tough call to single one performance out ,as there were many , as shown in the suggestions thus far . I’m going to get splinters in my arse for sitting on the fence.
He was a special player.

Seem to recall a game vs an Israeli side in Barry's 2nd spell where he might as well have been playing himself vs the opposition. Everything went through him that night from what I remember.

2002 cup final.

I actually struggle to think of a better 'captain's type performance in my lifetime.

How we could do with his type again.

In my opinion young Billy Gilmour was going to be the 'next Barry Ferguson' in terms of ability.

Players of that ilk don't come through the ranks very often.

Ferguson’s performance in the 2002 Scottish Cup Final was the moment he truly showed his leadership credentials.

The fact that he stepped up to take that free kick, I can’t recollect him having taken one prior to that moment, showed real determination ..... and from the moment it hit the back of the net, you just knew it was going to be our day.

Not just for that moment, but his overall performance - pulling the team up and driving us forward, even after going behind twice, he was a real inspiration that day & it was epitomised by that free kick goal.

Parma home
Leverkusen away
2002 Cup Final

That's three of the most memorable ones for me. I have lost count of the amount times that games seemed to be going nowhere and he would take the team by the scruff of the neck and get a performance out them. Brilliant central midfielder and a great leader on the pitch.

2002 Cup Final for me. A man mountain. As has been said, you just knew where that free kick was going as soon as he took the ball. A proper blood and guts performance from the wee man that day. Still my favourite Rangers player of all time. Were there better? Probably. But he was the hero and captain I grew up idolising.

Back