Barry Ferguson's career

By his own admission, the Blackburn move was a massive mistake. He knew instantly.

Liverpool and Arsenal were very much interested, had he played it right and not been swayed by Souness this discussion would be totally different and he'd never have returned.

A young Ferguson and young Gerrard in midfield would have been unbelievable.

In my opinion I thought he was a better player when he wasn’t the captain. When he took that role he forgot about his own game sometimes
But he was a great wee player and I wish we had someone of his ilk now
Interesting mate, surely his best season was 02/03 when he was captain and that cup final in 02. In my opinion when he became captain is when he became the driving force he would become as opposed to another cog in the machine.

Last edited:
On reflection he made a mistake going to Blackburn but you can see why he did. Ex Rangers legend as a manager, and at the time Blackburn were still a top half EPL side with ambition to challenge for a CL place.

I’ll go against the grain and say Blackburn was a good move for him - an upper half Prem team and he likely would have got a move to a bigger club if he didn’t get injured when he did. They even made him captain such was his performances. Probably stayed at us a season or 2 too long in his second spell.

People who never watched him play at Blackburn dont realise how good he was for them... If he never got injured there we wouldnt have seen him back at Ibrox.

He says in his book that Souness told him to sight tight and he'd be come back in for him and bring him to Newcastle from Blackburn.

Thankfully he came back to us.

In the end he went back down south and proved his quality with Birmingham and Blackpool winning player of the year with both clubs iirc.

The guy was an unbelievable player.
Indeed he was.;)

He left us in the lurch (Blackburn), openly rebelled against the manager (Le Guen) and always has something to say in the media.

These qualities don't exactly endear him to me.

However, it cannot be denied that he was an absolutely fantastic player. I didn't like his screaming style as a captain, but at least it showed he cared.. he was undoubtedly passionate. There's no doubt he gave his all every time he played, choosing to play through injury to the detriment of his own long term health.

Mixed feelings on him to be honest.

Ferguson underachieved for me given the talent he had. Held back by the bevvy culture - not that he was the worst or particularly bad here but it was still a part of the game in Scotland when he played - and the fact he was probably a bit of a homebody. Should have kicked on from Blackburn and went to a higher level.

Was back up the road 18 months later. Latter days at Birmingham he did well enough but he wasn't at his peak then. He maybe struggled to adapt to not being the main man, the best player, the creative force and the guy the team was built around. Was a more steady defensive player down there. Lots of very good players in Scotland go to a higher level in England and have to adapt their game.
You could say the exact same about his brother.
Massive amounts of talent wasted by both of them.

Each to their own mate, but I personally thought he had a great attitude, he obviously done a few silly things off the pitch but his attitude on the park was fantastic, a moaning faced bugger but a born and bred winner and didn’t settle for anything less.
He is exactly the type of guy we don’t have in our squad right now, he would be tearing guys a new one on a daily basis.
For me this is 100% correct. Even watching him last night, you could see that when he wasn't involved in the play he was still organising players and moaning at some others, just what we need now.

I had a few drinks with Russell Latapy a good number of years ago and I asked him about Barry. He said Ferguson was in talks with Arson Wenger but he wasn’t going to guarantee him a game unlike Souness at Blackburn.

He left us in the lurch (Blackburn), openly rebelled against the manager (Le Guen) and always has something to say in the media.

These qualities don't exactly endear him to me.

However, it cannot be denied that he was an absolutely fantastic player. I didn't like his screaming style as a captain, but at least it showed he cared.. he was undoubtedly passionate. There's no doubt he gave his all every time he played, choosing to play through injury to the detriment of his own long term health.

Mixed feelings on him to be honest.

To be fair Barry correctly rebelled against Le Guen. He seen through the fraud immediately and we ended up with Walter's Second Coming.

If I remember correctly, even when coming through the ranks as a youth, Barry never signed for Rangers. He used the freedom to train during the school holidays with other clubs who were as desperate to sign him as we were.

I'm sure I remember him going to Aberdeen for a weeks training one October when he was about 13.

So, and in no way is this criticism, Barry was quite mercenary in his approach to football, even at a young age.

To be fair Barry correctly rebelled against Le Guen. He seen through the fraud immediately and we ended up with Walter's Second Coming.

Players should accept the authority of the manager IMO, even if they don't agree with it.

By all means have a wee moan behind his back, the odd grumble or answer back etc, but from what I can gather, Ferguson started a rebellion against him. Poor behaviour.

The sticking up the fingers on the Scotland bench was embarrassing too. One should pride themselves on their dignity when they're a Rangers player.

Don't think this was ever an option - not because he wasn't good enough or there wasn't any interest but I'm sure I heard at the time that his wife wasn't keen on moving overseas.
Think it took some persuading to get her to agree to moving South and his move back North a few years later was, in part, put down to family reasons.
Remember that at the time but surely a player off his ability the wife would understand why he had to play at the highest level he could.

Bad for Rangers but he was going anyhow, a few years in Italy would’ve improved him even more on and off the park.

Had completely forgotten untill last night he was part of the Birmingham team that beat arsenal to win the league cup in 2011

The highlight of that game for me was when the camera picked up a very easy lip-read of him telling Jack Wilshire to "f*ck off you, ya wee dick" :))

Remember that at the time but surely a player off his ability the wife would understand why he had to play at the highest level he could.

Bad for Rangers but he was going anyhow, a few years in Italy would’ve improved him even more on and off the park.
Don't think she was as understanding as say David Robertson's wife.
If you haven't seen it check out the documentary Real Kashmir

Tin hat on. Fantastic player undoubtedly, but could never take to him thought his attitude stunk at times

Understand what you're saying but if you look at the players he started with he barely lost the rag.

It was only latterly when the standard of player dropped that he moaned near all game. Pure frustration that those around him weren't able to get to his standards.

Blackburn ended up with him, Amo, Tugay & Khizanishvili iirc

I remember on MOTD they done one of their comparative stats and his passing percentages were above everyone bar Fabregas (could have maybe been when he was at Birmingham)

Should’ve ended up at a far higher level. Easily the best Scottish footballer of the last 30 years for me.

IIRC an opposition player from Ferguson’s last game said that David Murray came into the tunnel after the match and basically said we need you to go we need the money. My mind could be playing tricks on me
Yep, we needed the money and it was either him or Arteta and Barry fetched a higher fee.

I think the wrong move at the wrong time effected things massively for Barry.

He genuinely could have walked into any midfield in England and no doubt the majority in Europe and not looked out of place.

But the mediocrity of Blackburn it was.

Still my hero growing up. On the note of the captains armband changing his game, would he have driven the team on in games like the Lovenkrands Cup Final without it? Pulling rank at the free kick I doubt would have happened.

I think the wrong move at the wrong time effected things massively for Barry.

He genuinely could have walked into any midfield in England and no doubt the majority in Europe and not looked out of place.

But the mediocrity of Blackburn it was.

Still my hero growing up. On the note of the captains armband changing his game, would he have driven the team on in games like the Lovenkrands Cup Final without it? Pulling rank at the free kick I doubt would have happened.
In Barry’s own words in that cup final, big Amo wanted to hit it and he relied “%^*& off ya big fud!”
God knows what our Italian former captain thought of that! Worked out very well though.

Yeah, it's a tough one for me tbh.

Le Guen was obviously a pr1ck and undermined the position of captain too. I suppose I just see it as the players' jobs to knuckle down and accept whatever is put their way to an extent.

I often feel his role in our 2007/8 season ending with a mere Scottish Cup win is under appreciated. At a time when his days of getting forward in support of the striker should have been over given his injuries, it was him who Walter Smith deployed on many occasions. Remember we regularly played 5 in midfield with no natural ''runner'' from midfield, for example Davis, Hemdani Ferguson, Thomson, McCulloch.

The V sign I'm sure, Walter wasn't as much annoyed by the booze gate but he told fergie to keep him head down until they come back from the break and fergie needless to say didn't

Acted like a mentally challenged ned and I'm sure he must regret those actions today.

The one blight on a terrific career with Rangers.

What a player.

I often feel his role in our 2007/8 season ending with a mere Scottish Cup win is under appreciated. At a time when his days of getting forward in support of the striker should have been over given his injuries, it was him who Walter Smith deployed on many occasions. Remember we regularly played 5 in midfield with no natural ''runner'' from midfield, for example Davis, Hemdani Ferguson, Thomson, McCulloch.
Which season was it he scored something like 21 goals from midfield?

Remember a hat trick in one game.

Which season was it he scored something like 21 goals from midfield?

Remember a hat trick in one game.
Scored 16 in 2002/2003. He still scored about 6-8 goals a season in his second spell which is a good return especially back then. Scored a few crackers in 07/08 Inverness, hearts etc

Acted like a mentally challenged ned and I'm sure he must regret those actions today.

The one blight on a terrific career with Rangers.

What a player.

Yeah mate, like I said he’ll be kicking himself he didn’t get 50 caps because of it and it ruining his career. However I’m fairly certain he said when Walter let him go it gave him the kick up the arse he needed as clubs in England and Spain couldn’t get boards to sign off on him because of his antics. Alex Mcleish wouldn’t take him until he lost a fair amount of weight, which he didn’t need to lose it was so mcleish to see if he still had the desire. Genuinely my favourite player of all time, the picture of him and lee mcculloch on the turf at the city of Manchester stadium beaks my heart every time

He’s always said he only signed for Blackburn because Souness was there at the time. Quite clearly it was the wrong move and quite short-sighted just to sign for a club because of who the manager was at the time.

IIRC in his book years ago he said Liverpool and Newcastle had also been interested.
I always remember a rumor in one of the fanzines around the time that he had been playing away from home with a female radio presenter and his Mrs gave him the ultimatum that they left Scotland or they were done.
Dunno how much if any truth there was in that.

I always remember a rumor in one of the fanzines around the time that he had been playing away from home with a female radio presenter and his Mrs gave him the ultimatum that they left Scotland or they were done.
Dunno how much if any truth there was in that.
Don’t think so mate , his family stayed in Scotland . Souness kicked his arse for driving up to Scotland EVERY day, caused him issues with his back and souness wasn’t best pleased. Another example of him aggravating unnecessary pain

About as smart as Charlie Nicholas going to Arsenal, rather than Liverpool.
Charlie wanted to be hanging out in the London club scene. Focusing on eating and drinking his way to be a bloated loser.
Typical working class imbecile who surrounded himself with grade A arseholes who fed his ego.
I’ll admit I was just glad to see him leave Scotland as he was their main talent

He had a cool head when presented with a chance and could score from distance too.

Complete midfielder.
To me his career had a very definite beginning, middle and end with regard to his role. At first under Advocaat he rarely got forward which given the riches we had was of little issue. He then blossomed into the player we saw around 2002 to 2004 when as you say he became a composed finisher. Injuries then hampered that ability to get forward as much bringing him back to where he started, but with added experience.

Yeah there is defo a myth around him being poor at Blackburn but that is far from the truth. He was excellent and Blackburn and really hitting top form when he got injured, like most have said probably scuppered a move to a bigger club than Blackburn. I genuinely think he would've ended up at Arsenal or Liverpool. Injury plus being homesick and his wife still being here in Scotland caused issues and it kind of forced his hand to move back up here. Mark Hughes did not make it easy for us to get him back either. Hughes didn't want to let him go and did everything in his power to convince him to stay. Hughes stated he wanted to build his team around him. Injury and a wife who doesn't like to be away from her mammy and daddy for too long meant we got him back. He was playing deeper but he was still bar far our best player.

Even at Birmingham he again was playing very deep but was by a country mile their best player and was getting rave reviews and MOTM awards left, right and centre.

I really think he could've went to any big club and stood out across all of Europe. I would've liked to have seen him in Spain.

To me his career had a very definite beginning, middle and end with regard to his role. At first under Advocaat he rarely got forward which given the riches we had was of little issue. He then blossomed into the player we saw around 2002 to 2004 when as you say he became a composed finisher. Injuries then hampered that ability to get forward as much bringing him back to where he started, but with added experience.
Summed up nicely.

Interesting mate, surely his best season was 02/03 when he was captain and that cup final in 02. In my opinion when he became captain is when he became the driving force he would become as opposed to another cog in the machine.
Just my opinion.
I’ll maybe discuss it with you the next time I am down in the Eriskyne, assuming it re-opens

In games that were not going well as captain he should have been geeing up encouraging players around him. Often he moaned at players in the wrong manner as far as I'm concerned. He had a wee moany face you could punch.
That's my opinion. As I've already mentioned an absolutely fantastic player. I just didn't like him. Think with a better attitude he would have been a better captain.
I agree. No doubting his ability, but captaining a football team is completely different to how it was 20,30 years ago. A lot of moaning shouting and swearing might work with some players, some react better to the carrot than the stick though. He didn't have that in him.

Ferguson could’ve played for anyone at his peak. The injury at Blackburn came when he was superb for them regularly and would’ve got a bigger move imo. Was over the moon when we got him back.

Back