Based on ability, what is currently the best EPL XI?

Jimmy Jazz

Slow day at work and this got me thinking.

The only position I really struggled with was the centre back partner to Van Dijk, and I'm still not totally convinced by my choice, but I'll see what others come back with.

I went with a 4-3-3 but choose any formation you like.

So for me it's:

Ederson,

Walker, Van Dijk, Vertonghen, Robertson,

De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Son,

Salah, Kane, Hazard.

Ederson
TAA. VVD Laporte Zinchenko

Sissoko De Bruyne Eriksen

Sterling Kane

Aguero​

Alisson

Azplicueta, Van Dijk, Laporte, Robertson

B. Silva, Fabinho, D. Silva

Mane, Aguero, Hazard

I took the OP to be talking about current form so that’s why no Man Utd player like Pogba or De Gea could be considered.

Even though they both had very good seasons I also don’t think Salah or De Bruyne hit the heights of last season which may be harsh but that’s why they miss out.

Sterling and Son very unlucky not to get in.

The only position I really struggled with was the centre back partner to Van Dijk, and I'm still not totally convinced by my choice, but I'll see what others come back with.

So for me it's:

Ederson,

Salah, Kane, Hazard.

Ederson
Trent Alexander
Robertson
Van Dijk
Laporte

De Bruyne
Bernardo Silva
Eriksen

Son
Aguero
Stirling

I would still have De Gea as first choice if offered a keeper - he is dicking about at Man U this year, but based on ability he is far above the others in that league.

I would still have De Gea as first choice if offered a keeper - he is dicking about at Man U this year, but based on ability he is far above the others in that league.

Even a year ago De Gea would've been a certainty but IMO he's on the downward spiral now. I'd probably even have Alisson in before him currently.

Similar with David Silva but he's naturally beginning to slow down a bit due to his age. Son just edges it currently for me ahead of Bernado Silva.

Even a year ago De Gea would've been a certainty but IMO he's on the downward spiral now. I'd probably even have Alisson in before him currently.

Similar with David Silva but he's naturally beginning to slow down a bit due to his age. Son just edges it currently for me ahead of Bernado Silva.

28 is still pretty young for a keeper - i think if he went to a Real Madrid he would be engaged again, looks like someone fed up being in a side that doesn't match his ability to me.

Ederson

Walker
VVD
Laporte
Robertson

KDB
David Silva

Salah
Sterling
Hazard

Aguero

28 is still pretty young for a keeper - i think if he went to a Real Madrid he would be engaged again, looks like someone fed up being in a side that doesn't match his ability to me.

He broke through at a pretty young age though. He was only 21 by the time he'd made over 50 appearances for Atletico and was signed by Alex Ferguson.

'Keepers tend to stay at their best for longer than outfield players however so he could very well be just in a slump in form. I do reckon he's missed his chance to join another powerhouse however.

So for me it's:

Ederson,

Salah, Kane, Hazard.
Needs Laporte, Sterling, Aguero and TAA

So for me it's:

Ederson,

Salah, Kane, Hazard.
No Aguero makes this wrong!

I’m thinking who would improve the Manchester City line up here.
VVD is the only obvious choice for me.
Probably Salah over B. Silva.
Okay, I’ll admit the Liverpool left back is probably a definite as well.

Alisson
TAA VanDijk Laporte Robertson
Fernandinho
Sterling Son Hazard Mane
Aguero

Purely based on this seasons form
Can’t argue with that 11. Folk ranting and raving about Robertson, maybe a lot have missed the fact that TAA finished with more assists.

Reactions: cav
I’m thinking who would improve the Manchester City line up here.
VVD is the only obvious choice for me.
Probably Salah over B. Silva.
Okay, I’ll admit the Liverpool left back is probably a definite as well.
Liverpool have the better keeper, better full-backs, van Dijk, Salah and Mane have to be two of the front three. Both out-scored Aguero, despite his taking penalties.

Ederson
TAA Van Dijk Laporte Robertson
KDB Fernandinho B.Silva
Sterling Aguero Hazard

Very Liverpool and Man City dominated.

Liverpool have the better keeper, better full-backs, van Dijk, Salah and Mane have to be two of the front three. Both out-scored Aguero, despite his taking penalties.
Goalkeepers, fifty-fifty for me.
Full backs, correct re the tramp but, I think Walker is top notch.
I think people equate TTA’s outstanding potential as his current ability, which isn’t too bad either.
Neither of your two mentioned up front are as good a centre forward as Aguero.

Kyle Walker works well in the system he plays and does what he is asked to do well but he is piss average player in isolation who gets his pants pulled down far too often against decent players.

A player who plays the game of football times at a level as dense as that which he looks.

I think quite a few players do well in the EPL thanks to the system they are in as much as their talent and ability as such.

I honestly don't see how anyone could pick a team without De Bruyne in it.. Best box to box midfielder in the world by a distance.

Ederson
Walker VVD Laporte Robertson
Salah Fernandinho KDB Bernardo
Aguero Hazard

Ederson
TAA VVD Laporte Robertson
Sterling DeBruyne B.Silva
Hazard Aubameyang Mane

Quite attacking but I'd fancy that team to beat most.

Surprised no-one else has picked PEAubameyang... he's joint top scorer in a league which includes Kane, Aguero, Salah, Mane etc and is playing for an utterly fucking useless Arsenal side.

Goalkeepers, fifty-fifty for me.
Full backs, correct re the tramp but, I think Walker is top notch.
I think people equate TTA’s outstanding potential as his current ability, which isn’t too bad either.
Neither of your two mentioned up front are as good a centre forward as Aguero.
Salah has outperformed Aguero greatly in the last two years. Aguero has never had a season, nor scored the goals that Salah did last year. They are different sorts of player but despite Aguero’s reputation, Salah offers more.

Salah has outperformed Aguero greatly in the last two years. Aguero has never had a season, nor scored the goals that Salah did last year. They are different sorts of player but despite Aguero’s reputation, Salah offers more.
If I had the option of Aguero or Salah, it would be the City player every time.
Just my opinion though.

If I had the option of Aguero or Salah, it would be the City player every time.
Just my opinion though.
He has been an excellent player no doubt and has the benefit of longevity. Will be interesting to see how Salah continues to perform, assuming he stays longer-term at Liverpool.

Are you suggesting that despite City winning the league, and I know the idiosyncrasies Liverpool winning the CL brings, that Liverpool have the better players?

Anyone picking Walker - not an automatic pick at his club - over Alexander Arnold is wrong. And I like Walker as a footballer.

Azpilicueta over Trent on this season’s form and they need a new sport for football’s not for them.

Ederson

Alexander-Arnold
Van Dijk
Laporte
Robertson

De Bruyne
Gundogan

Salah
Hazard
Mane

Aguero

Harsh to leave out Sterling tbh

Superrangers is still seething.

Anyone picking Walker - not an automatic pick at his club - over Alexander Arnold is wrong. And I like Walker as a footballer.

Azpilicueta over Trent on this season’s form and they need a new sport for football’s not for them.
The OP said on ability.not current form

So for me it's:

Ederson,

Salah, Kane, Hazard.
Agree with everything apart from Walker who isnt as good as Alexander Arnold

Not in the medal department :))

I`d only take Salah over Aguero if I needed a last minute penalty.

De Gea

TAA - Van Dyke - Laporte - Tarriar cùnt

B. Silva - De Bruyne - D. Silva

Salah - Agüero - Hazard

He did say to pick on ability so I actually considered Pogba who has bags of ability, I’ve also picked De Gea despite his form going out the window this season and despite Ederson being top quality. Leaving Sterling out seems harsh but on overall ability I think it’s justified, he still wastes a lot of chafes despite his high goal output. I’d opted for Salah over Mane and Kane because Salah is more likely to cheat you a penalty and we’ve seen how crucial that can be this season.

Not in the medal department :))

I`d only take Salah over Aguero if I needed a last minute penalty.
The thread is about an epl 11, not who has won what.

Salah has scored 54 league goals and 14 CL goals in the last 2 seasons, compared to Aguero’s 45 and 8.

Aguero also takes penalties for city, whereas Salah is not Liverpool’s main penalty taker.

Yet again though, the armchair Mourinhos of FF ignore stats to somehow justify their opinions.

Long may it continue.

TAA was far better this season. 12 assists to 1 for starters
I don’t even think Kyle Walker’s mum thinks he is a better player than TAA. The guy is a donkey. He’s quick and that’s it. TAA is a far more skilful footballer, has vastly better crossing, shooting and setpiece ability. He is also very level headed and grounded whereas Walker comes across a clown.

Last edited:
Back