Bassey looks the hungriest

I said in the match thread that Bassey has the potential to make us some serious money down the line.

Frustrating that we could be without him and Balogun for a bit during AFCON (Aribo too of course but defensively it’s a concern).
A big chunk of AFCON is covered by the winter break.

Our best hope is for Nigeria to get knocked out at the Last 16.

His positioning still needs a lot of work, but that’s because he’s used to playing LB and not really having to worry about things to the left of him / behind his left shoulder.

What it does highlight is how absolutely bonkers it was for Gerrard to play him as a right sided CB. Completely different position and one that he couldn’t possibly have any idea of where to be.

I’d quite like it if Gio gave him a few cameos in LCB or even just spent a bit of time on it in training because having a full back that could slot into CB would open up a lot more formation options (3 at the back for example).

Thought he looked more confident in tonight's team and instructions, he covered a lot if ground and was aggressive against their players when required.

Compare that with the shambles at Centre Back on Sunday and when we've been consistently losing the first goal this season?

GvB's job will be considerably easier if he's unearthed a gem in Bassey, revives Alfie and plays Patterson more.

Was a but nervous about him at CH but he was superb. Love the boy's energy, enthusiasm, physicality and no lack of talent. He gave us an energy we gave been sadly lacking this season. MOTM for me.

Last night he made all the right decisions, bar one when he was chasing some punk unnecessarily towards the bench.
Great to see the discipline, combined, with the energy at work.
Certainly best performance he’s put in as CB. MOTM no question.

Back