Battle of Montevideo - Where do you stand?

MrBearightside

Happened before my time but I am doing research on it

1967 Intercontinental Cup being played in Montevideo (Uruguay)

Racing Club (Argentina) v C****c

The Argentines had played some serious disgusting dirty football in the previous games, winding the opposite up with no class and trying to hack and cause injury, C****c tried to keep their cool.

In the playoff final Racing again play dirty and C****c lose their cool, they get 4 red cards and Racing get 2 reds

18 mins in for the red cards

Older bears, what are you memories of this?

How was it portrayed in the media?

What were fans of Rangers saying?

Of course we don't like C****c,... but we also can see they were against a team who had no intention of playing the game.

Where do you stand on this?

Strange one - a friend assures me he read a book in which the author said John Lennon wanted Celtic to lose.

The Argentines had played some serious disgusting dirty football in the previous games, winding the opposite up with no class and trying to hack and cause injury, C****c tried to keep their cool.

In the playoff final Racing again play dirty and C****c lose their cool, they get 4 red cards and Racing get 2 reds

Of course we don't like C****c,... but we also can see they were against a team who had no intention of playing the game.

Narrator even then has the wee lithpy voiceover. Thhhheltic

I remember them getting kicked off the park especially jimmy johnstone, but they were giving it we are as hard as any team on the build up.
WATP

The Celtic team back then were robbed of
that trophy.But I remember being very
happy that day,back then.

I was only 8 back then and at primary.

There was an older girl in the school who showed me a ticket she had for the Celtic vs Racing game at Hampden. I distinctly remember asking her "why are you going to see Celtic?". Even at that age I knew it was just so wrong.

Other than that, i have a vague memory of happiness at the ultimate outcome.

What a load of bias shit. Watched from 18 mins as suggested.

At around 20 mins and 20seconds the opposition has a wee tug of Johnstone’s shirt and Johnstone swings an arm or an elbow at him. Come on take %^*&. “Another Argentinian assault. More sinned against the sinner”. Bias bullshit. A wee shirt tug is a nothing foul. Trying to punch the guys head off his a straight red and several games ban.

Granted I didn’t watch it all. But if that’s the level of bias shite. Denying what your eyes can plainly see. It’s ridiculous defence of the Scott Brown variety.

What a load of bias shit. Watched from 18 mins as suggested.

At around 20 mins and 20seconds the opposition has a wee tug of Johnstone’s shirt and Johnstone swings an arm or an elbow at him. Come on take %^*&. “Another Argentinian assault. More sinned against the sinner”. Bias bullshit. A wee shirt tug is a nothing foul. Trying to punch the guys head off his a straight red and several games ban.

Granted I didn’t watch it all. But if that’s the level of bias shite. Denying what your eyes can plainly see. It’s ridiculous defence of the Scott Brown variety.
*biased*

With Racing being my SA team (coincidental , honest :))) I have read much about this game. The True Lions of ‘67 faced untold intimidation and bully-boy tactics but football won through in the end:)) Forza Racing !!
Hoping that soon my suspended trip for a football bonanza to Buenos Aires can come to fruition and I can visit their stadium and hopefully see them play

It was quite clear where we stood with the song we sang at Ibrox send the celtic to Vietnam

The games against Racing deteriorated into something fairly disgusting.
However, The Filth played their part in the disgrace.
I don't have any sympathy for them.

The games against Atletico funnily enough I do.
But not much.

22:39 in - the winner is a screamer the Hammer would've been proud of. And a couple of minutes after that talking about £250 fines when they were earning £30 a week - absolute epitome of the biscuit tin mentality.

Back