Battle to ban plastic pitches goes on

I’d like the players from Hamilton, Killie and Livi given their say, confidentially of course and let’s see the opinions of the players how have to train and play on it consistently.

I know from my own playing days how difficult a recovery was from plastic pitches and it must be so harder for junior and amateur players these days with the higher volume of pitches being used

This isn’t true.

I can’t speak for Livi or Killie, but in all the years Accies have had artificial pitches we’ve never hired them out. That isn’t part of the business model. Savings are made by training on the pitch instead of hiring other facilities, but nobody else uses it.

I’ve played on Airdrie’s pitch with a group of my mates. So, whilst accepting what you say about Accies, it isn’t true that no clubs hire out their main plastic pitch

I thought we were all against plastic eg carrier bags, bottles, packaging etc? Why are plastic pitches ok?

There is never any danger of a decent game of football breaking out on a plastic pitch.

An absolutely horrendous advert for Scottish football and just another sign that the authorities have no interest in the Scottish game generally.

I thought we were all against plastic eg carrier bags, bottles, packaging etc? Why are plastic pitches ok?

We should start a "Save The Worms" pressure group. Who knows, we might even get the school kids out protesting.

We should start a "Save The Worms" pressure group. Who knows, we might even get the school kids out protesting.

Those school kids that want to save the planet but dont mind going to school in mum's 4x4 diesel or chomping fast food burgers while shopping for trendy trainers made in 3rd world sweat shops or playing the latest computer games on their i phones?

Just kid-ing.

As long as UEFA allow them in their top competitions it will be very difficult to get rid of them from league competitions I reckon.

I’m all in favour of ditching artificial surfaces but sadly I fear we’ll only get more of them.

Just look at Sport in America, nearly everything played on artificial surfaces. And where America goes.....etc :confused:

Plastic pitches that are well maintained are fine... the issue is they aren't in Scotland. They are loaded with pellets and poorly watered - and I think that is what leads to injuries and poor product.

Hamilton have survived for years because of their park. Kilmarnock overachieved, Livingston too. There is no motivation for these teams to play on grass.

It’s a different and embarrassing game on these surfaces. They need banned.

If they can't afford to have a grass pitch and pay SPL wages get them to %^*&.

The Dundee clubs (spit), Dunfermline, Aye Utd etc could easily relace the 3 shite clubs you mention with no drop in standard
Correct, grass pitches should be a pre requisite for playing in the SPL, just like all seater stadiums

Back