Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jones

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Arfield

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Stewart

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
I voted Goldson even though I thought Helander was our best player, simply as I feel we set up the way we did, sitting very deep, to protect his lack of pace, which is an issue.
Increasingly feels to me as though Goldson is our leader on the pitch. I also think his match intelligence is improving too.

Overall, good Euro campaign and can't complain at the bigger picture.

Wee bit disappointed the account of ourselves we gave tonight, thought we could have laid a glove on them a bit more. Midfield is where we need to strengthen imo.

Good effort though lads!

Aye because player’s values are made solely on their last 2 games! Who is talking nonsense? Johnogreen take your other pal off to Kerryfail where you belong.

You honestly believe a player‘s value is based on his last 2 performances and not on banging in more goals than any other player in the group stages, scoring more than 1 in 2 at your current club etc?

Step away from the computer tonight and come back with a clear head mate.

Tbf we'll still get 20million as he's a proven goalscorer, but it's not just his last 2 matches he's let himself down and not performed to his best. He hasn't scored in his last 14 matches

Better team won tonight no arguments there we still punched above our weight throughout the campaign and came away with some great memories the team done us proud to get this far.

Tbf we'll still get 20million as he's a proven goalscorer, but it's not just his last 2 matches he's let himself down and not performed to his best. He hasn't scored in his last 14 matches

Here is a reasonable point of view I cant get behind. Bravo on not posting drunk/emotional.

Davie Weir talking nonsense too?

For tav to match a guy who is faster and has a run on him (unless Tav is expected to be psychic too) he would have to be sitting deeper than diaby.... If he were to do that he would be sitting deeper than the rest of the defensive line and messing up any offside trap... So what should he have done?

Diaby got a run and was able to take a perfectly played ball (played under no pressure), perfectly on the chest and finished it expertly.

For that goal to be prevented, aranguiz had to be closed down to at least affect the quality of the pass if not close the ball down altogether.
Be
goal
side

Davie Weir? We saw what kind of defences he coached

price point? Our entire midfield was free?

Palacios alone cost 20 million. Arranguiz cost 12 million 5 years ago probably worth more now.

I can’t see how we can get anywhere near that level of quality without spending. a bunch of frees is all we have In midfield. I think the wide gap was reflective of the value of the players tbh
I’m not referring to the current midfield and the price point we assembled them for, I’m referring to what we do have to spend in this window.

Be
goal
side

Davie Weir? We saw what kind of defences he coached
Being a coach and knowing positioning from being a top level centre half for years is completely different.

If... You.... Are.... Goal..... Side..... Constantly.....you.....play.....everyone..... onside.

Erm, ok mate

Aye NB. You want defenders to stand goalside all game. Brilliant tactic that. Let's just do that at freekicks too since it would work so well in open play :D .

Jesus, you hear some shite getting shouted at matches but that's right up there.

Aye NB. You want defenders to stand goalside all game. Brilliant tactic that. Let's just do that at freekicks too since it would work so well in open play :D .

Jesus, you hear some shite getting shouted at matches but that's right up there.
Either we have a different understanding of what “goal side” means or you need to resit your pitch geography exams

Leverkusen were just too good for us tonight lucky it was 1-0 tbh.

We had a couple of chances one off the line and Stewart should pass rather than shoot.

We need another midfielder pronto.

Davis is done and we need to move Alfie on while his value is high as he's a shadow of the player we had last season.

What a run we had tho well done to the players and management.

Thread chopped because emotional fans couldn’t defend an absurd position. On the plus side added about 4 crazies to the ignore list so that was a win.

Last edited:
Their high press has been a huge struggle for us.
I can’t post the pic but anyone that can watch it back and freeze it, 58mins18 on the clock, they were already winning on the night and certain to go through yet four of them pressing our back four just outside our box. Jack was in the rightback slot too. All Barasic could do was punt it down the line and hope. Their press was was a thing of beauty tonight

I can’t post the pic but anyone that can watch it back and freeze it, 58mins18 on the clock, they were already winning on the night and certain to go through yet four of them pressing our back four just outside our box. Jack was in the rightback slot too. All Barasic could do was punt it down the line and hope. Their press was was a thing of beauty tonight
That's the kind of football i like to watch,attack from the first to the final whistle, watch when we play other teams, we don't hardly press them and any pass back to the keeper Morelos just jogs slowly towards him, that's what i loved about wee Novo, he would chase and go after everything.

Many people have said we can't break teams down because they sit in and defend, many people have also said when teams come out and have a go at us like the European games it suits our game better and shows how well we can play, well tonight showed that when a good quality team comes out against us we have no answer to them and look very very average and shows we still have a fair bit to go to reach those levels, unfortunate for us the draw wasn't kind and we've played a champions league quality side, we're also a million miles from facing top quality champions league teams.

Was a great run and i'm sure like me we all enjoyed it, our next venture into the Europa league will see one off games rather than two legs, so the business will need to be done and no room for error.

The way we're keeping our shape these days, when we don't have the ball, is very noticable; a lot of teams are going to find us extremely difficult to play against; we were the same against Aberdeen. We frustrated Leverkusen at times, and they are a very very good side, and forced them to play the long balls. Add to our quality and we will be more than ready for this season.

Agreed.

In addition to that, although they could knock the ball about a bit (!), they were able to get the ball off us in the middle of the park (at least three times from our set pieces I was amazed to see) and within seconds be at our penalty area.

They're a very very good side and losing to them was no disgrace.

There were several aspects of how we played last night that didn't look right, but these things happen in Europe.

And I voted for Goldson.
As I've mentioned elsewhere, imo any scouts at this game would have been pretty impressed with his defensive abilities (that one blasted pass aside). He was the only Rangers player on the night that I thought could have been in Leverkeusen colours and not looked out of place at all.

No disgrace in losing. Focus has to be on winning the league. Anything in Europe or cups is a bonus.
A bonus that swells the coffers and allows us to buy Roofe and Hagi and make us better. We need to compete in every competition and that still includes Europe this season. Anything less than group stages again will be a disappointment for the fans but also the board I'm sure.
Gerrard has said he needs players for a 60 game season, there will be zero dropping players to rest them for a big league game

Agreed.

In addition to that, although they could knock the ball about a bit (!), they were able to get the ball off us in the middle of the park (at least three times from our set pieces I was amazed to see) and within seconds be at our penalty area.

They're a very very good side and losing to them was no disgrace.

There were several aspects of how we played last night that didn't look right, but these things happen in Europe.

And I voted for Goldson.
As I've mentioned elsewhere, imo any scouts at this game would have been pretty impressed with his defensive abilities (that one blasted pass aside). He was the only Rangers player on the night that I thought could have been in Leverkeusen colours and not looked out of place at all.
Only thing I disagree with is “the only”. Helander as good, if not better.

Leverkusen are a quality side and there is no shame in losing to them. Could we have played better? I don’t think there is any doubt we could have but the tie was over after the first leg.

I don’t think this will have any bearing on our season and once the new guys are up to speed we’ll kick on and have a successful season

I think it’s clear now we’re one or two dominant central midfielders away from taking that next step.

Hopefully the final piece of the jigsaw can be put in place before the end of this transfer window.

I think it’s clear now we’re one or two dominant central midfielders away from taking that next step.

Hopefully the final piece of the jigsaw can be put in place before the end of this transfer window.
Ultimately, I would like to see a better right back too. Though I know that’s less pressing and won’t happen this year.

Davis 0 votes, says it all, totally anonymous. Leverkusen are a good team but they are not THAT good, our midfield was hiding last night, sad to say, not helped by the talisman downing tools and not pressing from the front. Expected better from Jack but he couldnt do it all himself with Aribo looking lost and Davis a man down. Mcgregor and Goldson really kept the score down and its between them for motm, just shaded Goldson.

A bonus that swells the coffers and allows us to buy Roofe and Hagi and make us better. We need to compete in every competition and that still includes Europe this season. Anything less than group stages again will be a disappointment for the fans but also the board I'm sure.
Gerrard has said he needs players for a 60 game season, there will be zero dropping players to rest them for a big league game

Appreciate that it allows these purchases. I just think the league matters so much more this season. Group stages would be nice but would impact league form.

Amazed 4 people have voted for Morelos. Must have been watching a different game from me.

Big Fil for me.

Goldson for me. Thought it was a far more rounded performance than Helander (who also played well, although continues to let his player easily receive the ball to feet)

Yeah, but one of them was me lol. I was chatting to my brother about Morelos and when I went to vote for Helander he was still on my mind so voted by mistake. I only realised there you can change it.

Maybe it did. Maybe too many games caused the slump after the break.
A don't know am not buying that they showed up against braga when needed yoy don't go from playing like that to struggling against dross it is mind boggling and something that needs to be addressed this season

Helander was main man but could've been a lot worse is sha$$er want on form. Bonus points to Alex Rae with the sly dig saying he was happy to see leagues getting finished when talking about the bundesliga

Back