Bayern Munich and city in for Kai Kennedy in January window.Todays Papers say.

Gerrard isn't daft here.

The fact is, football has changed a fair bit in terms of physicality in the last 20 years. This isn't a "typical Scottish attitude" thing at all, it's just the way sports tend to go when the science improves the way that it has.

Not so long ago, tennis was all about the younger guys and you were considered done by your late twenties. Now, it takes until mid-twenties for most to get to the required level physically. The odd exception to the rule only really proves the point.

Football is on a similar path. McPake looks much bigger and stronger than most at his age in our youth team, but still looks like a little boy next to our first team players. Middleton was lucky he had filled out somewhat, as was McCrorie, but after them we don't have anyone ready just yet for regular games at first team level.

The old "if you're good enough, you're old enough" phrase no longer applies in the way that it used to. We only need to look at players like Cochrane and Hickey at Hearts, who are struggling at that level despite obvious talent, or how easily talented young players currently at Hamilton can be bossed out of games, to see why we need some patience.

Look at the current top nations at youth level. Not only are they talented, but their players are also gifted physically. People will point to Messi, Iniesta and Xavi and say "your attitude means they'd never have made it", but they were more than physically capable of handling that side of the game, they just happened to be a bit shorter.

No one at Rangers is deliberately holding players back. We just don't have a number at the right stage of their development. In a couple of years time, that'll change.
Using guys like Cochrane aren't a particularly good example, no one is saying we need to mismanage youngsters but even the difference between a 16 and 18 year old is massive in terms of physical development. Cochrane's problem was he had a clueless manager who at 16 would get injured and be thrown right back into the team when he was fit. Levein was a idiot throwing a 16 year old in right away and making him a important piece of that Hearts team, especially after his injuries started piling up.

Im not asking Gerrard to do that, what i want Gerrard to do is to bring them into the team, give them the odd game similar to what a guy like Barker is getting now and see if they look the part, if they do great then you can continue to bring them along slowly and if they perform well and as they get more and more comfortable and adjusted to everything from the pace and physicality of matches to the lifestyle of being a first team player for Rangers then you can ask them to do more and more until they're just another player for us like Tavernier,, Jack, Davis, etc. I dont want half our squad to look like a play park or anything but i want our best youngsters once they get to be 17 or 18 poking their head through and getting a few chances to show what they can do.

What i dont want to see is a guy like Young-Coombes just thrown in the firing line immediately, but guys like Dapo, McPake, Kelly, Patterson i do want to see be given the chance. In my opinion January is the perfect time to do this, try and move the deadwood on and the first gam out of the winter break is a cup match at Ibrox against Stranraer

Then why have celtic been able to do it so easily over the last few years against those same hammer throwers?

Less pressure to win in recent years.

And who have they brought through at the age of Kennedy, McPake or the likes that's then stayed in and around the team?

Johnston (who is a few years older than them) has been dropped for a loan player this season when genuine pressure is on them. Frimpong was a signing, and it's been injuries that gave him a chance.

It's not been a huge success rate in recent years.

Using guys like Cochrane aren't a particularly good example, no one is saying we need to mismanage youngsters but even the difference between a 16 and 18 year old is massive in terms of physical development. Cochrane's problem was he had a clueless manager who at 16 would get injured and be thrown right back into the team when he was fit. Levein was a idiot throwing a 16 year old in right away and making him a important piece of that Hearts team, especially after his injuries started piling up.

Im not asking Gerrard to do that, what i want Gerrard to do is to bring them into the team, give them the odd game similar to what a guy like Barker is getting now and see if they look the part, if they do great then you can continue to bring them along slowly and if they perform well and as they get more and more comfortable and adjusted to everything from the pace and physicality of matches to the lifestyle of being a first team player for Rangers then you can ask them to do more and more until they're just another player for us like Tavernier,, Jack, Davis, etc. I dont want half our squad to look like a play park or anything but i want our best youngsters once they get to be 17 or 18 poking their head through and getting a few chances to show what they can do.

What i dont want to see is a guy like Young-Coombes just thrown in the firing line immediately, but guys like Dapo, McPake, Kelly, Patterson i do want to see be given the chance

They'll get their chance.

But you have to ask what's better - a loan spell that gives them a number of first team starts, and provides the challenge of being considered a first team squad member and having to prove your worth, or the odd bench appearance and playing youth games.

Kelly and McPake are on loan because it's felt they're ready for that step and need more than just the odd chance. Patterson and Mebude I wouldn't be surprised to see doing similar very soon.

The manager is getting a very easy ride on this at the moment.The first team pool is topped up with 2nd rate njourney men.This is proved by the fact that we seldom get a reaction from our substitutions if a game needs changing.Why not give Mebude a game on the right of the front 3 instead of shoehorning midfield players like Aribo and Arfield in there.Why do we insist on playing a Liverpool academy player who shows no intwrest or desire while the likes of Kennedy,McPake are punted or sitting in the stand watching.I believe this situation is going to cause a lot of friction in the club shortly if it's not addressed

If we aren't producing players capable of doing better than barker has we are as well shutting the academy down. A 3 year deal, unbelievable.

Signing guys like him and King has to stop if were ever going to bring anyone through.

I don't know how we find that pathway when we are so desperate for success.

Unless they are of a special talent, then they aren't going to get game time. Having said that, we would be better introducing lads like Kennedy than signing dross like Barker, which are absolutely pointless signings that just bloat the squad further.
There's been 3 games at Ibrox this season we've won 5-0 .Anybody honestly saying we couldn't have given 1 youngster 20 minutes in any of those games?Giving him a boost and other youngsters the carrot of maybe next time it could be them.

I would rather give the young lads a chance as their playing for their futures so will give 100% commitment looking for a improved contract or a move away after a few years.
We need to stop giving guys like squad players Barker a 3 year contract.

Barker looks as if he doesn't think he's good enough to play for us.Wether he is or isn't is another debate.He's no confidence whatsoever looks really nervous and has no conviction with anything he's trying to do.
He did look more threatening with Hibs. I just feel he can't be parachuted into the team for critical games when he's left out against the likes of Hearts and Hamilton. It just hasn't worked.

He needs games to be at his best and that's not happening. Would Hastie not have been better?

Future for Scotland seems very bright considering most of our youth have been linked to European powerhouses.

Hopefully we see some of them fulfilling their potential and hopefully that's in our colours.

Proof yet that the youth system might finally be producing the talent we've been waiting on?

But you have to ask what's better - a loan spell that gives them a number of first team starts, and provides the challenge of being considered a first team squad member and having to prove your worth, or the odd bench appearance and playing youth games.

Kelly and McPake are on loan because it's felt they're ready for that step and need more than just the odd chance. Patterson and Mebude I wouldn't be surprised to see doing similar very soon.
That's the thing though, they haven't been given a chance in recent years. If they were i wouldn't feel so strongly about this, the amount of progress we have seen from the academy in the last 3-4 years has been exceptional, i would hate to see all that work the players and coaches do be for nothing as we continue to ignore the players coming from the academy.

In my opinion being around the first team and getting the occasional game is far better for them at 17-19 than going down to the Championship or League one of Scotland and playing, i truly believe the level and coaching down there is so poor other than the occasional club who gets a good young upcoming manager that it doesn't do much for them, there's no pressure down there, you're playing for clubs that will bin you before the others if things go poorly and the level is so poor that even if you do well it really doesn't tell us if they're ready or not to play for Rangers. It's why i was so disappointed in McPake going to Dundee back when we had just signed Barker and it had looked like Kent wasn't going to happen.

I will be extremely annoyed if Patterson isn't given a chance to make himself the back up right back before being punted out on loan, Dapo is a little different as he has 2 superb strikers in front of him and neither look like they'll be leaving in the winter so if the club decide to loan him out i can at least live with that but these positions where we dont half proper quality for both the starter and back up should be where the youngsters are given a chance to take it before bringing in someone else

What i dont want to see is a guy like Young-Coombes just thrown in the firing line immediately, but guys like Dapo, McPake, Kelly, Patterson i do want to see be given the chance. In my opinion January is the perfect time to do this, try and move the deadwood on and the first gam out of the winter break is a cup match at Ibrox against Stranraer

Home to Hamilton were cruising and wanted to give Davis a rest. We gave polster a half hour run out and hes not been seen since. Are we honestly saying Barjonas couldnt have got that half hour? They gave him a contract so they must rate him enough to play half an hour against Hamilton surely.

Home to Hamilton were cruising and wanted to give Davis a rest. We gave polster a half hour run out and hes not been seen since. Are we honestly saying Barjonas couldnt have got that half hour? They gave him a contract so they must rate him enough to play half an hour against Hamilton surely.
Exactly. From both a long term and financial perspective, it's much better to give a guy like Barjonas the odd game than it is to bring in players like King or Polster and give them the same limited game time

Exactly. From both a long term and financial perspective, it's much better to give a guy like Barjonas the odd game than it is to bring in players like King or Polster and give them the same limited game time

Sorry just realised I quoted wrong post I totally agree with you. Meant to reply to one of striders posts.

I don't know how we find that pathway when we are so desperate for success.

Unless they are of a special talent, then they aren't going to get game time. Having said that, we would be better introducing lads like Kennedy than signing dross like Barker, which are absolutely pointless signings that just bloat the squad further.
Do the right thing for our football club and success will come.

If we lose the head and start making bad decisions because we need to “win now”, we’ll end up winning nothing because we’ll be making bad decisions.

Do the right thing and trust the process.

That's the thing though, they haven't been given a chance in recent years. If they were i wouldn't feel so strongly about this, the amount of progress we have seen from the academy in the last 3-4 years has been exceptional, i would hate to see all that work the players and coaches do be for nothing as we continue to ignore the players coming from the academy.

In my opinion being around the first team and getting the occasional game is far better for them at 17-19 than going down to the Championship or League one of Scotland and playing, i truly believe the level and coaching down there is so poor other than the occasional club who gets a good young upcoming manager that it doesn't do much for them, there's no pressure down there, you're playing for clubs that will bin you before the others if things go poorly and the level is so poor that even if you do well it really doesn't tell us if they're ready or not to play for Rangers. It's why i was so disappointed in McPake going to Dundee back when we had just signed Barker and it had looked like Kent wasn't going to happen.

I will be extremely annoyed if Patterson isn't given a chance to make himself the back up right back before being punted out on loan, Dapo is a little different as he has 2 superb strikers in front of him and neither look like they'll be leaving in the winter so if the club decide to loan him out i can at least live with that but these positions where we dont half proper quality for both the starter and back up should be where the youngsters are given a chance to take it before bringing in someone else

We'll have to agree to disagree on the merits of the loan deals.

And (this isn't me trying to use it to win or anything, just pointing it out) it looks like the club disagree with you on that as well. Our best youngsters will generally go through the loan process now it would seem.

Players do most of their learning on the pitch once they hit a certain stage. Youth games and training just don't do enough.

This season has been a total outlier in terms of the number of goals we've scored in matches.

Not so long ago there were numerous complaints about how we couldn't break down teams who sat in a low block. Our management team agreed. They have to plan for worst case scenarios when it comes to making who makes the bench.

I had concerns that our squad was too big during the summer transfer window and many disagreed. When players like King, Edmundson, Docherty, Polster and Halliday have spent most of their time in the stands, not to mention guys like Stewart and Barker not being hugely involved in all honesty, it's easy to see why we can't just sacrifice a spot or two on the bench for younger players to gain a little bit of experience here or there.

And that's probably why Mark Allen is no longer around now due to the size of squad we currently have.

My own opinion has been that it's not the time to bring the younger players in due to how important this month is but I end up changing that when you see guys like Barker coming on at the weekend who just offer nothing.

We didn't know before the game we would be cruising.

And that was also just after the Young Boys and Hearts games. I suspect Polster was on the bench in case Tavernier was needing to come off rather than Davis.

I don't necessarily disagree here, but I don't believe for a second that Gerrard is holding back any top talents at the club. I also don't think the clear pathway would prevent younger players from leaving for big money.

We didn't know before the game we would be cruising.

And that was also just after the Young Boys and Hearts games. I suspect Polster was on the bench in case Tavernier was needing to come off rather than Davis.

I don't necessarily disagree here, but I don't believe for a second that Gerrard is holding back any top talents at the club. I also don't think the clear pathway would prevent younger players from leaving for big money.

I get your point, but if at his age barjonas cant be trusted for a place on the bench at home to Hamilton I'd question the point in giving him a new contract.

Rangers face a battle to hold on to teen sensation Kai Kennedy with Bayern Munich and Manchester City among the clubs looking to sign him.The 17-year-old has impressed in the youth ranks at Ibrox and regularly trains with Steven Gerrard’s first team, although he is yet to make his debut.

Now Rangers could struggle to keep him beyond his current contract if two of European football’s richest clubs step up their interest.

Kennedy has a deal until the summer of 2021 and Rangers are locked in talks with the teenager in a bid to extend that deal. But if no agreement can be made the club are in a reasonable bargaining position for a fee. Serie A side Roma have previously been in contact over a move and are believed to still be keeping an eye on the diminutive winger.

Kennedy burst on to the scene with impressive performances in the Alkass Cup in Qatar in February as Rangers lifted the trophy and was also vital in their Youth Cup success against Celtic. Kennedy was recently included in the first-team squad for a 3-1 win over Hamilton in November but was eventually left out of the 18 selected.

On the day Gerrard said: “He earned the right to be the 19th man. People look at Kai like he’s this wee player who doesn’t belong with men but he’s trained like a man all week. He’s been the most consistent and he’s a fabulous little player. It wasn’t just a token gesture because he’s a kid. It’s also to send a message to some of the players who are outside the 18 that Kai was next from what I saw the majority of this week in training. He deserved to be out there.”

Rangers could also face a similar problem with defender Leon King. The highly-rated 15-year-old is in talks with Rangers but knocked back an initial contract offer and is interesting Manchester City and Chelsea.
Reads like an agent trying to get a better contract for his young client.

Mebude got a a half hour off the bench in the final game of the season and hasn't played since. McPake got about 20 minutes in a Europa league tie that was over before it even kicked off. These aren't proper chances, proper chances are getting regular appearances off the bench and maybe even a odd start to see if they're ready. 53 minutes combined for the two tells you nothing unless they'e dreadful
Those appearances also coincided with the signing of a new contract. Was purely as an incentive at the time for them to stay.

I get your point, but if at his age barjonas cant be trusted for a place on the bench at home to Hamilton I'd question the point in giving him a new contract.

I don't think it's about trust. More just that we have numerous players ahead of him.

In all honesty the fact guys like Barker are ahead of Kennedy is a joke, so I wouldn’t blame him for leaving.

I've always been under the impression that unless someone has a miraculous few months of development, everyone who is close to breaking into the side will have a loan spell first, so don't be surprised if we don't see Mebude, Kennedy, etc because they will go out on-loan next season and guys like Kelly and McPake will be the ones who are given a chance next season. Also, I think the situation we're in, given how bad we were about 18 months ago and how close we are now from being able to stop 9iar, we won't see many youngsters get their chance until we have won the league again.

But we don't know that we'll be 3 or 4 nil up before we have to decide who is on the bench.

And as good as Kennedy is at youth level, if the game doesn't go as hoped for and we need someone to change it, he's not the best option. That's what you need on the bench first and foremost.
The point I would make is we have nobody on the bench who comes on and changes it anyway .Yes Stewart or Defoe will come on if a game is won and score a goal or two but how many times under SG has a substitution benefitted us when we've struggled ?.Kennedy,Mebude,Patterson,Kelly,McPake would all have had game time with every team in the country and I include the mentally challengeds in that.We have a problem if the manager keeps giving the deadwood around the first team opportunities and ignores the best young talent in the country.Why would you keep Docherty and bring in King and send a player like Kelly out on loan?.Madness

The point I would make is we have nobody on the bench who comes on and changes it anyway .Yes Stewart or Defoe will come on if a game is won and score a goal or two but how many times under SG has a substitution benefitted us when we've struggled ?.Kennedy,Mebude,Patterson,Kelly,McPake would all have had game time with every team in the country and I include the mentally challengeds in that.We have a problem if the manager keeps giving the deadwood around the first team opportunities and ignores the best young talent in the country.Why would you keep Docherty and bring in King and send a player like Kelly out on loan?.Madness

Because Docherty and King have hundreds of first team games and Kelly needs that experience. If having them means he develops better, job done.

As for our subs, we've had the odd impact, and that tends to be the way of it. Not sure when people started to expect subs to change games every time, but that's never been my experience over the years of watching football.

Gerrard gave Middleton games when he had other options he could have used. He played McCrorie in big matches. Both players are still developing, especially mentally (where Middleton really struggles). He's not like previous managers where we'd have 8 defenders starting because they were the fit first team players and young midfielders would be ignored.

If Kennedy gets a great offer from Bayern or City and decides to leave, it won't be because we've signed Brandon Barker. It'll simply be because of the money on offer and the chance that provides at a good career.

Handing guys like Barker and a lesser extent Stewart as he at least looks capable of giving us something back 2-3 year deals is totally in contradiction to what the club says our plan is if i am a talented youngster as much as it would be my absolute dream to play for Rangers i would be disillusioned even looking at my team mates going out on loan places ware there development is being stunted Gerrard Brought him on the Bus for Hamilton game and you would have thought that he had started him the way he was going on .

However there are also questions about our loan deals and how we best match players to suitable clubs. The thread on our loanees is depressing.

A lot of the guys coming through aren't ready yet. Over the next season or two, some will begin to come in. I think we'll see a few squad guys not having their contracts renewed or sold on and those slots filled with best young guys we have.

I've always been under the impression that unless someone has a miraculous few months of development, everyone who is close to breaking into the side will have a loan spell first, so don't be surprised if we don't see Mebude, Kennedy, etc because they will go out on-loan next season and guys like Kelly and McPake will be the ones who are given a chance next season. Also, I think the situation we're in, given how bad we were about 18 months ago and how close we are now from being able to stop 9iar, we won't see many youngsters get their chance until we have won the league again.
Well if that's the case we're as well shutting the youth system down.Grezda,Polson,Docherty,King,Barker,Ojo,Halliday .Murphy will contribute nothing and will be costing plenty.We can't afford to have a pool of players all of the same standard it's simply not feasible ,not even for the mentally challengeds.We need to spend what money we have on getting the best first 11 we can afford and augment with our youth,Who will learn and eventually push for the first team slot.Not bring in 2nd rate players or loan players and academy loanees .We have a special group of young players at the moment as well as coaches ,everyone in the game is of the same opinion.If we let this opportunity go we will regret it big time

However there are also questions about our loan deals and how we best match players to suitable clubs. The thread on our loanees is depressing.

Those boys need to be challenged.

Right now a number have to work hard to get back into the first team. They might not manage it there, but hopefully they take some lessons from it to bring back with them.

If we end up getting them guaranteed games somewhere, I'm not sure that gives them the required challenge.

Well if that's the case we're as well shutting the youth system down.Grezda,Polson,Docherty,King,Barker,Ojo,Halliday .Murphy will contribute nothing and will be costing plenty.We can't afford to have a pool of players all of the same standard it's simply not feasible ,not even for the mentally challengeds.We need to spend what money we have on getting the best first 11 we can afford and augment with our youth,Who will learn and eventually push for the first team slot.Not bring in 2nd rate players or loan players and academy loanees .We have a special group of young players at the moment as well as coaches ,everyone in the game is of the same opinion.If we let this opportunity go we will regret it big time
I remember when NYC signed about being told that every academy player has a developmental path that is set-up when they sign, then reviewed every season. The academy has a plan and we cannot panic and change it because we didn't get a couple of results, if we were that reactionary, we would burn out our top talent like Hearts do. We just need to show patience with the academy, I think we will start to see it producing results next season as I said with Stephen Kelly.

We absolutely have to start getting some of these lads on the bench every week.

At the moment the boys will see Billy Gilmour gamble on himself and succeed elsewhere and no examples of Rangers giving anyone a chance so we need to show we're willing.

Even Celtic have a much better track record of producing home grown players than us. It's important if we want to keep the likes of Leon King then we provide the same pathway.

Kai is a good wee player but I fully trust the gaffer and his staff to know when the time is right to give him a chance in the first team.

He had Middleton as well and still chose to bring in players like Barker. If a guy who has made a impact away to Spartak Moscow and Villareal gets pushed to the side for a player who's done very little in his career he's never going to give a guy like Kennedy or McPake a proper chance for a few years unless he's forced to which im starting to think the club might have to do
The same Middleton that can’t get a start for Hibs?

Gerrard isn't daft here.

The fact is, football has changed a fair bit in terms of physicality in the last 20 years. This isn't a "typical Scottish attitude" thing at all, it's just the way sports tend to go when the science improves the way that it has.

Not so long ago, tennis was all about the younger guys and you were considered done by your late twenties. Now, it takes until mid-twenties for most to get to the required level physically. The odd exception to the rule only really proves the point.

Football is on a similar path. McPake looks much bigger and stronger than most at his age in our youth team, but still looks like a little boy next to our first team players. Middleton was lucky he had filled out somewhat, as was McCrorie, but after them we don't have anyone ready just yet for regular games at first team level.

The old "if you're good enough, you're old enough" phrase no longer applies in the way that it used to. We only need to look at players like Cochrane and Hickey at Hearts, who are struggling at that level despite obvious talent, or how easily talented young players currently at Hamilton can be bossed out of games, to see why we need some patience.

Look at the current top nations at youth level. Not only are they talented, but their players are also gifted physically. People will point to Messi, Iniesta and Xavi and say "your attitude means they'd never have made it", but they were more than physically capable of handling that side of the game, they just happened to be a bit shorter.

No one at Rangers is deliberately holding players back. We just don't have a number at the right stage of their development. In a couple of years time, that'll change.
Sound like a man in the know.

I've watched a few of our loan players this season.McCrorie and Kelly are the best players in their positions in the championship by a mile and ready to be part of our pool ( Kelly didn't need the loan ,it was all there already).Mcpake and Palmer are in the situation you mention.Two terrific young footballers who have joined the wrong clubs.Totally unsuited to playing Hoofbaw and need their situations addressed in January.Watched young Palmer against Ayr Utd and it was soul destroying for him trying to play his game surrounded by pub players.Maybe McCall will change that but I'd recall him straight away

Mebude got a a half hour off the bench in the final game of the season and hasn't played since. McPake got about 20 minutes in a Europa league tie that was over before it even kicked off. These aren't proper chances, proper chances are getting regular appearances off the bench and maybe even a odd start to see if they're ready. 53 minutes combined for the two tells you nothing unless they'e dreadful
They are all teenagers and the guys asked why they weren't getting a chance off the bench. Players have been. Middleton another one.

I think the position Rangers are in just now of going toe-to-toe with celtic, and being under intense pressure to win almost every time they take the field in order to bring home silverware, makes it hard for Gerrard or any coach to risk playing youths. Look at the flak Tav, for eg. has had to deal with over his defensive lapses, can you imagine if a 17-18yr old having to cope with this?

Perhaps one way to integrate the likes of Kennedy and King into the 1st XI is to prioritise the 3 domestic trophies - the League Cup being arguably the least important - and use it to give game time to the top echelon talents from the youth system. Not only would this offer a way to properly assess their capabilities against professional opposition, but it would also provide an incentive to the youngsters by showing that there is indeed a pathway into the regular first team.

Unless this, or some similar affirmative development strategy is put in place, Rangers are destined tio keep losing their elite prospects to some top English or continental club - which defeats the whole purpose of having an academy im the first place.

Aye but Bayern and City will be paying them mega £ to not play 1st team games.Plus it will look better on their CV when they inevitably get released and go lower down the English league's.Chance of getting a shot at a decent Championship team after that.Failed to make it in Scottish league with Rangers? Lucky to get a Scottish championship team.

Or they could be good enough for the Ranges team and get in it?

Plenty guys released from these super clubs end up nowhere.

The same Middleton that can’t get a start for Hibs?
Ryan Kent is a perfect example of one bad loan not being the make or break for you, sometimes a player just doesn't work at a club for whatever reason. Kevin Mbabu wasn't even good for our youth team, now he's playing for Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga

Back