BBC complaint outcome re Michael Stewart's comments

Changingman

Just had this response via e-mail...

Thank you for contacting us about BBC Radio Scotland’s Sportsound on 19 March.

We received complaints regarding contributor Michael Stewart’s comments about allegations of racial abuse during the Rangers v Slavia Prague Europa League match. To allow us to reply promptly and use the licence fee efficiently, we’re sending this response to everyone on behalf of the Editor, BBC Sport Scotland. We’re sorry we can’t reply individually, but we hope this will address the concerns raised.

Across our Sportsound programmes on Friday and Saturday (19 & 20 March) we involved a number of guests who’ve taken the position that, given the actions of the Slavia Prague player and the reaction of the Rangers players, the allegation of racial abuse is well-founded.

On Saturday, through Chris Iwelumo and Derek Ferguson (both Show Racism the Red card ambassadors) and Pat Bonner (who attended the match as a UEFA observer), we offered our audience a first-hand account of what could be seen inside the stadium, the views of those who have been subject to racist abuse in football and someone trying to eradicate it. On Friday we also spoke to Livingston captain Marvin Bartley, who again called out racist action within football and on social media platforms.

Regarding Michael Stewart’s contribution on the Friday night broadcast, Michael did not make any comments which could be described as racist or said to be condoning racism – it’s also worth noting, for context, that the programme was broadcast before Rangers’ Glen Kamara issued his own statement.

In making the point that UEFA have to reach their conclusion and that we should allow them to do so, Michael Stewart said:

“It definitely looks suspicious and your instinct is to say he’s racially abused Glen Kamara…I’m 99%, I’m 99% with you guys on this but that 1% for me is what draws me back from judging and confirming 100%.”

Talking about punishment, Michael added:

“…then the lip service and the token gestures, they don’t suffice, they really don’t and I think it gets to the stage where if a serious penalty is handed down like, for example, being suspended from European competition next season…”

On Saturday’s Sportsound programme, Michael Stewart was again involved in the discussion and said:

“It’s the right thing to do to try to put pressure on to UEFA to continue to do that so that it doesn’t just drift away. There needs to be a thorough investigation and if it’s found out to be exactly as Glen Kamara is saying it is and, to be honest, the statement he’s released there with (Bongani) Zungu – I think it was Chris mentioning there – as a corroborator, witness, then I think like everyone else in the country it’s very difficult to think anything other than what Glen Kamara is saying there is what’s going on and Slavia’s attempts to try to almost just deflect away from it, it’s not great, but you’ve got to allow this process to take place with UEFA so that justice is done for the victims here, Glen Kamara in particular, and then the punishment needs to be comparable with what’s going on with the big overall issue of racism and for me, and I said this last night, the players should be getting suspended – I’m not 100% sure about lifetime bans but at least you’re talking about a year ban where the player has time to genuinely think about his actions and re-assess and rehabilitate himself and the club should be getting banned from European competition.”

In conclusion, we are confident that our overall output on this subject has been fair, accurate and balanced, and our production teams across all of our platforms have taken great care to ensure we have appropriate guests.

We hope this is helpful, and thank you again for getting in touch.

Kind regards,

BBC Complaints Team

Not good enough and wholly unacceptable, hand it over to Rio and see if his mate Linekar is happy to work for an organisation who PAY for that kind of view. Man on the street are taken for a ride, let's see how they get on with global reaching ex players

Just had this response via e-mail...

Thank you for contacting us about BBC Radio Scotland’s Sportsound on 19 March.

We received complaints regarding contributor Michael Stewart’s comments about allegations of racial abuse during the Rangers v Slavia Prague Europa League match. To allow us to reply promptly and use the licence fee efficiently, we’re sending this response to everyone on behalf of the Editor, BBC Sport Scotland. We’re sorry we can’t reply individually, but we hope this will address the concerns raised.

Across our Sportsound programmes on Friday and Saturday (19 & 20 March) we involved a number of guests who’ve taken the position that, given the actions of the Slavia Prague player and the reaction of the Rangers players, the allegation of racial abuse is well-founded.

On Saturday, through Chris Iwelumo and Derek Ferguson (both Show Racism the Red card ambassadors) and Pat Bonner (who attended the match as a UEFA observer), we offered our audience a first-hand account of what could be seen inside the stadium, the views of those who have been subject to racist abuse in football and someone trying to eradicate it. On Friday we also spoke to Livingston captain Marvin Bartley, who again called out racist action within football and on social media platforms.

Regarding Michael Stewart’s contribution on the Friday night broadcast, Michael did not make any comments which could be described as racist or said to be condoning racism – it’s also worth noting, for context, that the programme was broadcast before Rangers’ Glen Kamara issued his own statement.

In making the point that UEFA have to reach their conclusion and that we should allow them to do so, Michael Stewart said:

“It definitely looks suspicious and your instinct is to say he’s racially abused Glen Kamara…I’m 99%, I’m 99% with you guys on this but that 1% for me is what draws me back from judging and confirming 100%.”

Talking about punishment, Michael added:

“…then the lip service and the token gestures, they don’t suffice, they really don’t and I think it gets to the stage where if a serious penalty is handed down like, for example, being suspended from European competition next season…”

On Saturday’s Sportsound programme, Michael Stewart was again involved in the discussion and said:

“It’s the right thing to do to try to put pressure on to UEFA to continue to do that so that it doesn’t just drift away. There needs to be a thorough investigation and if it’s found out to be exactly as Glen Kamara is saying it is and, to be honest, the statement he’s released there with (Bongani) Zungu – I think it was Chris mentioning there – as a corroborator, witness, then I think like everyone else in the country it’s very difficult to think anything other than what Glen Kamara is saying there is what’s going on and Slavia’s attempts to try to almost just deflect away from it, it’s not great, but you’ve got to allow this process to take place with UEFA so that justice is done for the victims here, Glen Kamara in particular, and then the punishment needs to be comparable with what’s going on with the big overall issue of racism and for me, and I said this last night, the players should be getting suspended – I’m not 100% sure about lifetime bans but at least you’re talking about a year ban where the player has time to genuinely think about his actions and re-assess and rehabilitate himself and the club should be getting banned from European competition.”

In conclusion, we are confident that our overall output on this subject has been fair, accurate and balanced, and our production teams across all of our platforms have taken great care to ensure we have appropriate guests.

We hope this is helpful, and thank you again for getting in touch.

Kind regards,

BBC Complaints Team
That’s ridiculous. People complain about what he said and their response to simply quote some of those things. They have failed entirely to actually address the complaints that were made.

We know, and they know, that had it been a player at any other club then there would have been no “1%” that held Stewart back.

They said that nothing he said could be described as “condoning” racism, when they know that the complaint wasn‘t that he explicitly condoned racism, but that he failed to condemn it solely because of the colour of the victim’s shirt.

That’s ridiculous. People complain about what he said and their response to simply quote some of those things. They have failed entirely to actually address the complaints that were made.

We know, and they know, that had it been a player at any other club then there would have been no “1%” that held Stewart back.

They said that nothing he said could be described as “condoning” racism, when they know that the complaint wasn‘t that he explicitly condoned racism, but that he failed to condemn it solely because of the colour of the victim’s shirt.
It's amazing that they quote him so extensively yet miss the bit where said it was unfortunate that Rangers complained about it.

Just received my reasoned justification defending Michael Stewart’s comments re Kudela’s behaviour from Sportsound on 19/3. As per, PQ CSC deems Stewart’s contributions ‘across all platforms’ to be upholding the accurate, fair and balanced maxims that Auntie holds dear.

It would make you reach for the bucket.

However, interestingly, Auntie discloses that Packie Butter fingers attended the Slavia match as an observer for the competition’s organisers.

You couldn’t make it up.

By his own admission, Stewart ran off at the mouth before getting any comment from the victim, or anyone else.
This is contrary to the BBC fob off, which comes later of "great care" being taken. To anyone who regularly complains to the BBC the words verification, double checking etc. will be very familiar.
This is a typical and familiar BBC fuck off and stop bothering us reply.

He should have been sacked.

If not for this shameful episode but for the litany of fake sensationalism, incompetent insight and downright weird outbursts.

I think the BBC just ask separate entity how to finalise an investigation. It seem to me the 2 of them always come up with the same answers. Nothing to see here move along now

One thing I noted in that waffle was that Pat Bonner was the UEFA observer at the game!
:oops: Kinda puts the Slavia complaints about the neutrality of the UEFA delegates who witnessed events into question, eh?

As for the BBC, what would you expect....but fair play to the Bears who pulled them on it.

The BLM mantra is that it isn't enough to oppose racism, you have to make it known. Something the bbc pays lip service to

With his "1% that stops me fro judging" bollocks, he's not doing that

Play them at their own game

Why is anyone surprised. This was always going to be the outcome. You want to get back at the BBC, don't pay the licence, don't watch or read anything to do with the BBC. Don't interact with anyone or anything connected to the BBC.

I have a cousin who works for the BBC as a reporter, I no longer talk to her haha. Probably a tad overreaction but hey.

Anybody on Twitter etc, please feel free to forward Stewart’s comments, and the BBC’s response, to:

every prominent black footballer and sportsman the UK

every black MP

any racial equality organisation

That should let everybody see what a cretin he is, and how BBC Scotland are looking to defend him, even though he was saying there is a small doubt in his head that Kamara was racially abused.

Why the fvck would anyone bother complaining to the BBC in regards to Rangers.
They would never look on it favourably.

The answer is very simple, when Bears meet Stewart in the street you let the cvnt know how you feel.

Stewart only made the comments because of the colour of shirt Kamara was wearing. If we was wearing any other shirt he’d have condemned it outright.

That's why we need to employ someone to gather evidence of the double standards, bias and lies. Its far too easy for them to justify individual incidents and claim objectivity. Not so easy if we have proof they dont treat us fairly overall.

By his own admission, Stewart ran off at the mouth before getting any comment from the victim, or anyone else.
This is contrary to the BBC fob off, which comes later of "great care" being taken. To anyone who regularly complains to the BBC the words verification, double checking etc. will be very familiar.
This is a typical and familiar BBC fuck off and stop bothering us reply.
Fob off is exactly what it is.

Rangers hating, British hating snp sympathiser investigated by Rangers hating, British hating SNP sympathiser.

"I want an understanding that there needs to be caution taken here because, I'll go back to it, at Victoria Park Michael Gardyne was being hung, drawn and quartered as some sort of... I think it was a homophobic slur that was supposedly said. Nothing came of it."

Implies that it didn't happen.

"but we can all hear things that might not have".

Implies that it didn't happen.

"no evidence to back up what people have said"

Do you see a pattern here?!

Stewart does a wonderful impression of a genuine ars*hole, a goby mediocrity, desperate to stake a claim as yet another controversial twat marginally more tolerable than the unbearable tosser Sutton. Cloughie showed them all how it's done....but he was entertaining, clever, witty and knew what he was talking about, Stewart and co are just plain irritating/annoying twerps. Keane and Graham Souness the only two pundits I listen to, Neville in small doses. The rest, mute was designed especially for them.

BBC have the knack of getting things exactly wrong, the blanket hour after hour coverage of Prince Philips passing away was just ridiculous, every station chocked up, so they could all have a day off was the reason not sentiment, tested the most loyal Royalist, turned into endless droning by Royal "correspondents" who mostly, got on the old mans nerves. Couple of documentaries would have covered the end of a long life well served.

Back